Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The list of poo poo that is wrong with the F35 is so big that "not being able to dogfight" is further down the list than you'd think.

Yeah there used to be a big D&D thread on it with a fascinating list. Things like not being able to take off on hot days because the fuel gets too hot for the F-35 to use. Computer system vulnerabilities, can't fly for longer than 2 hours without being at risk of crashing (literally I think there were time brackets within which chance % for crash increased massively), and so on and so forth. It's like watching the idiots from Snatch stagger around barely managing to not kill themselves scene after scene only it's not so funny anymore because you remember that the LNALP (LNP/ALP) for some reason gave them tens of billions of taxpayer dollars (it'll outstrip the $12billion for sure).

e: As of 2014 we've allocated $12bn to dig a firepit and then already allocated a further $12bn to manage the burning of our money

(Joe Hockey sure extricated us from that budget emergency super quick, hey)

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Lascivious Sloth posted:

"Border Force commissioner says operational matters won't be discussed publicly
The commissioner of Australia's newly created Border Force says details of the agency's "operational matters" will not be discussed publicly."

so.. literally 0% accountability and due process??

This national security magic wand is fantastic, I can't wait til we go full fascist and start locking up unwanted ethnic minorities in concentration camps beyond our national borders to minimise legal footprint.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

To be fair, it was always a gbs thread

yeah right and we've always been at war with eurasia too

I actually have no idea if it was ever in D&D, i just assumed because... GBS

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Blocked by paywall

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

And here was me worshipping the free market ironically...

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

How much sick leave and paid leave, because that'll go some way towards offsetting the 6k less. Also working days rather than nights does have a tremendous benefit to your mental health (or normally does, anyway) so don't discount the quality of life stuff there - but by getting your nights back you'll be going out more, so spending more money, etc.

The downside to a salaried position is all the undocumented hours. As soon as you get salary (and take a paycut to get it) your hours suddenly skyrocket, especially if you're taking a position of any responsibility (even fake responsibility for a job that doesn't matter). You start leaving an hour later some days, then a few hours later on Fridays, emergencies become 14 hour clusterfucks, etc etc.

Try to take a look around and see if other jobs are going with better compensation. No point taking a job that's the same or worse -- if you're chopping and changing, upgrade, don't just change the name of whoever signs your cheques. Hell, if you're really uncertain just tell them you're interested but you want an extra little bit of cash per year, or extra benefits like a uniform/cleaning allowance or whatever. You could ask that the salary remains the same but every 3rd Friday (or Monday) you don't have to work.

e: Or ask that they put the 3 month payrise into the contract, and then yearly payrises or something. So that either they're happy with your performance and you're guaranteed to be compensated accordingly, or they're not happy and they fire you (so you can claim unemployment in the meantime - double check that, I've never been fired and I'm not 100% sure how that works in Australia)

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

My church doesn't even condone orgasms for procreation, we have to undergo DIY surgery and scrape the sperm out with a spoon. We can't use anaesthesia either because that didn't exist back 2000 years ago when Jesus was conquering new south wales

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Oh I'm sorry Graic Grabar are some of us squandering your precious auspol time? You glue-sniffing Howard-worshipping troglodyte

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Hi there my name is doesn't matter and I'm here on behalf of something to show you exactly just how important this worthless actually you know what, I'm hearing the words coming out of my mouth and even I can tell it's bullshit. Do you have any weed I can buy or just a few spare tinnies, at this point I'd be happy drinking just about anything

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You know what's great about Young Liberals is that their parents will pay for them to go to university, they'll turn up and vehemently disagree with everybody and everything they see the entire time they're there, then they'll graduate and wave their degree around as though it makes them better than everyone else. It's like getting dragged along to an art film you don't get and then pretending like everybody else is a Neanderthal for not having seen it. Death is the only escape for them but it's still just a touch too early to compromise and call it justice

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Do they really pre-seal the reply paid envelopes consistently? Why?

Also it seems a bit misleading to compare US debt and Greek debt on per capita terms. The US has a functioning economy with actual export value (its the biggest economy in the world) and Greece has some cash crops and tourism that have like zero competitiveness while they're attached to the Euro. There is just no capacity to pay it back in any real sense

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Well yes and no. The reason the Greeks are hosed is the accumulated effect of the requirement to repay the interest on the debt. This prompts a death spiral. Greece could have 'monetised' their way out of it except they are pinned to the CE via the Euro. The US is keeping the debt monster at bay by:

1/ Being the guy who makes up the rules (duh).
2/ Monetising frantically to make up their position.

So yes their circumstances are very different but the actual underlying issue is identical. How long the US can continue the enormous level of debt it carries is both unknown and somewhat frightening.

(I've recently been reading a lot about exactly this so I didn't just make it all up over cornflakes).

http://www.cfr.org/financial-crises/dangerous-us-government-debt/p22408

A little elderly but.

Devaluing their currency (assuming they break from the EU) would let their cash crop exports and tourism sectors actually become regionally competitive and probably keep the country going for a while (don't know what they're going to do long-term given the tremendous brain drain that's occurred) but it's not a simple "flip the switch" solution, it'd be difficult even if they didn't have crippling debt piled at their feet, as it is if they default and leave the EU and start printing their own money the deck is already stacked against them in terms of just surviving day-to-day while they seek to stabilise and rebuild confidence in their country, both from citizens and foreign markets. Even selling a bunch of pistachios you've already grown isn't easy (or cheap), all the logistical difficulties of harvesting, preparing, storage, transport, and money transfer to a reliable bank are all things that require a functioning country with enough cash to keep the wheels moving. Given how underpowered their economy is at the best of times (they're not exactly a shipbuilding leviathan anymore) monetisation might be the best way out but it's still looking pretty far out of their reach, and sourcing the debt relief they need to survive day-by-day and withdrawal from the euro are mutually exclusive in this environment.

That said, I don't know poo poo about your broader criticism of international economy so I'm going to have to bookmark that and come back to when I have time, it looks like a long read that's going to have a whole bunch of branching articles popping up as I go.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

This Pyne topic comes up every few months. In short it's safest to leave his private life out of things, leave aside the outrage over personal hypocrisy etc, and just focus on how poo poo he is as a politician. You won't run out of things to hate anytime soon if you restrict yourself to his professional life, so why open Pandora's box of "but he's secretly gay!" and tie yourself down to a morally muddy argument that does nothing but distract from how much he needs to be strapped to a leaky dinghy and cast adrift in the Pacific?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Much like Labor's recent campaign strategy, Mr. Squiggle only really makes sense if you squint your eyes and keep turning right

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Dear Mr Pyne,

Why does gay? Why. I'm not say bad, I just want know why.

You sincerely,
Concerned Citizen

P.S. Why

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

YACTSDG (Yet Another Comic That Sulla Doesn't Get)

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

freebooter posted:

But, yeah, even from a rag like the Australian it's an argument that has absolutely no legs and I can't believe they can write it with straight faces.

"Gay marriage --"
"-- Oh no please, let's not get into that. There are far more pressing issues going on right now."
"Fair enough, you're absolutely right. We need to get Nauru and Manus Island closed imm--"
"-- Sorry, let me just stop you there. What were you saying about gay marriage?"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

It only happened the once, but I was pissed after writing a big angry note and was ready to send it back stuffed with glitter.

e: because it's impossible to get rid of, no other reason. ffs goons, Pyne is enough of a turd without resorting to gossip

It's too late now but for next time, I think you can use steam heat to loosen the envelope and open the letter without tearing, then just glue it back up again when you send it normally. Or just put glitter in a cannon and fire a wad of it through his local office window.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

This has what's gotta be one of my favourite friendlyjordies lines:

"You have to understand that I'm not so much a prime minister as a liberal voter who happens to be prime minister"

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I would steal the zoo and then all the animals would be free and running wild and the mayor would come to me and say please sulla please we need to get these animals out of here, please let us use your zoo and i would say mr mayor i will take all of your animals and put them in my private zoo but i will only do it for a hundred thousand dollarydoos and they would have no choice but to pay me because i would be the only one with a zoo and i would get all the animals and a hundred thousand dollarydoos too

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

We should not legalise gay marriage while there remains a single other country has not yet done so. And when we are the last country.. Surely that is a unique feature that is worth protecting? We would really be punching above our weight then. You appreciate that I am suggesting this for the good of the country, my personal feelings don't enter into it at all.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I don't need to vote directly on every law that comes out but my major criticism of democracy in Australia is that there is almost zero consequences for serious crime (like actual crime, not just being a disingenuous piece of poo poo) for politicians. And the next mob (or current opposition if they are as crooked as labor) will pass laws to defend them because politicians stick together and would rather ensure they can all continue to exploit the system than twist the knife into a fallen opponent who could very well turn around and expose your crimes.

The AFP is criminally ineffective here as far as I can see, essentially functioning as an extension of the sitting government than of justice for the people, so ideally we would have an independent body like ICAC with sweeping powers federally and locally to investigate all sorts of crimes (from political corruption to good old crimes against humanity) and throw the fuckers in prison. There is just nobody to police the politicians in this environment.

Also we need to move to a system of smaller parties and minority governments because clearly a 2 party system isn't doing poo poo for us and we are going towards a 1 party system with a flavour of the month twist

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

THERE IS NO GREENS SPIKE, ANY IMMEDIATE RISE IN A SINGLE POLL SHOULD BE UTTERLY DISREGARDED UNTIL A CLEAR TREND ARISES FROM OTHER POLLING AND AGGREGATE ANALYSIS

SINGLE POLLS ARE, LIKE THE INTERIOR OF SARAH HANSON-YOUNG'S HEAD, EMPTY AND MEANINGLESS

Here at Fox News Australia we've been hearing a lot of talk about this Green spike by Greens candidates, but before we delve too deep into the inner workings of this radicalised fringe group, what we would like to hear is a full and sincere apology for the Port Arthur massacre perpetrated some years ago by an allegedly-related radicalised fringe element.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

The Greens reject numerous reports of alleged involvement in that terrible, anti-freedom massacre. But tell me - what did you do to stop it? Anything at all?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

dr_rat posted:

From what I think is the same poll

I had no idea support for this piece of crap legislation could be so high.

Of Greens voters 49% support and only 46% oppose...

:smith:

Once you remove subhuman sacks of poo poo from the data (i.e. Australians) the responses become a lot more reasonable

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

0% support for fascism is still a pretty good number and that's why I'm firmly opposed to researching cures to things like avian flu. There is a way out - it's not pretty, but it's there.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

open24hours posted:

It does say people involved in terrorism, rather than people accused of being involved in terrorism. I think it's a dumb idea, but removing the citizenship of people actually convicted of being terrorists probably isn't the end of the world.

There are a bunch of questions that need to be answered before we can form an opinion on this, like: are these people currently in australia, in which case why don't we just process them here rather than booting them overseas to become somebody else's problem? If they've been convicted of terrorism here why don't we let the courts handle it, and if they already have wouldn't that imply they had already paid the legal penalty for their crimes, in much the same way that you're not allowed to arbitrarily decide that criminal embezzlement deserves vigilante castration after the prison sentence has expired? If the convicted terrorist has been convicted in another country, how can we be sure that the conviction would have held up in an Australian court - what about David loving Hicks?

But it doesn't matter because all of this is somehow predicated upon the assumption that the justice system as we know it is incapable of or unwilling to deal with the crime of terrorism, which begs two questions: 1) why did we give the cops all those ridiculous police state powers to spy on us and detain us illegally if they don't achieve anything or aren't being used, and 2) why don't we try to resolve the problems in the justice system before saying "nah gently caress it" and starting the snowballing process of pushing responsibility for managing justice and order over to arbitrary political offices with no oversight or expectation of fair and equitable treatment?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

open24hours posted:

Yeah, I was assuming the conviction was in an Australian court. Having thought about it a bit more I think it probably is the end of the world.

Especially given that the justice system here is the system to which we hand responsibility for law and order (and punishment). Using that system as the qualifying basis* to then further punish people is absurd, it's like saying you have to pay taxes to the ATO and then we'll use your taxation record with the ATO to impose arbitrary further post hoc taxes on you. If they're taxes, they should be handled through the ATO. If it's a crime, process it through the justice system. You can't take someone who has committed a crime, been found guilty and then served the sentence for that crime, and then have non-judicial bodies saying on a case-by-case basis, "Great news! You've won the ex-con jackpot, you're destined for the rape pits on Nauru." If being castrated and hung from a tree is the desired punishment for a crime, then do it through the justice system.

* That's already attributing far too much credit to them. As far as I can tell, they literally are aiming at a law that says the minister can remove the citizenship of anybody, and the sneaky weasel words about "suspected of terrorism" won't hold up to anything in the actual application. Even the talk about dual citizenship is their way of saying "we're willing to meet you halfway" when the real discussion should be "this is loving ridiculous, you should be stripped of your position immediately for even suggesting it, go gently caress yourself and die alone".

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Pred1ct posted:

If The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, Daily Mail etc. has taught me anything it's that most people don't give a poo poo about human rights, the principles of law and due process as long as the bad guys get what they deserve.

And the bad guys are anyone ethnic, or with a terrorist beard, or that came by boat - If they aren't guilty then they shouldn't have been going around being ethnic, beardy or hanging around in a warzone.

The bad guy is essentially anybody they say it is, which includes political whistleblowers and people who detract from the economic goals of them or their sponsors. Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are super bad guys, and so are those filthy savages who protest against clear-cut logging or the undermining of employee rights.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

http://thehackernews.com/2015/07/Italian-hacking-team-software.html

quote:

A few hours later, the list of alleged Hacking Team customers, including the past and current clients, was posted on Pastebin. The most notable and previously unknown ones are the FBI, Spain, Australia, Chile, and Iraq, among others.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I was kidding.

Although I do firmly believe that if we're going to let extreme right-wing neoliberal super-nationalist genocide-supporting fuckheads get front page on national newspapers and not be torn apart, we should give equal footing to anybody willing to express equally off-centre positions, such as the beheading of all non-muslims or the complete dissolution of private property or the forced sterilisation of all men once their sperm has been harvested by the ministry of population control.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

I've been following this a fair bit and it's amazing just how hard they've been busted. They've been selling stuff to embargoed countries and stonewalling UN investigations into it. Australia paid them somewhere around ~360k USD for exploits. Egypt was buying exploits off them during the Arab Springs. People have found receipts from governments for $2.4M USD contracts.

After a Canadian university published a report on how dodgy they are the company handling their DNS pulled them. They then got the Italian police to formally request that they be put back in the system.

All customers have now been told to stop using their products by Hacking Team.

Just found this image half an hour ago and didn't know if I'd ever get a chance to post it. I guess this company goes some way to filling out that 29%.

If you like next time I'm in Milan I'll find their offices and leave a drawing of a penis in their letterbox

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Ma questa è l'Italia :shrug: They might not get so much business as they did before but in terms of justice or being shut down for breaking a bunch of international laws... I find it difficult to believe there'll be carabinieri kicking down their doors anytime soon. Guardia di finanza, maybe, if they haven't been paying taxes

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

The UN has been after them for at least a year so maybe this will help spur things along.

Well in that case I wish them luck. The cynicism might be infectious

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Mr. Father, why is the sky blue?

Well Francine that's a very good question, you know, I've been out and about with the local community and a lot of honest aussie battlers have come up to me and asked, Tony, they come up and speak to me on a first-name basis because I'm just that kind of guy, you know, it's very casual, anyway they come up and they ask me, Tony, what are you going to do about this blue sky business? And I tell them, mate, it's simple, you gotta do two simple things and that's all it takes. One, you gotta scrap the carbon tax. Done. I've done that, that's finished. Two, you gotta stop the boats. And you'll, I think, ah, I think that you'll, ah, you'll find that I've done that. So that's two. That's the two most important things, scrapping the carbon tax and stopping the boats, two things which Labor never even tried to do, and I've done that in my very first term. I'd say that's a pretty good result, considering how Labor isn't willing to meet us halfway on any of the initiatives, they're just sitting there saying "No, No, we don't want to work together to make Australia better", and the media is engaged in disgraceful, truly disgraceful Francine, it makes me sick to my stomach, disgraceful campaigns trying to destabilise this government and achieve god-knows-what. But I've done it. And that's what's most important - the things you do rather than the things you say. Carbon Tax. Stopping the boats. You know? scrapping the tax on carbon. I did that.

Oh okay. thanks dad.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Sorry about the buzzfeed link but this was how it showed up on my feed from the greens fb page:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexlee/marles-turned-back

And thanks for that economy article, worth a read

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Ahaha dear Ray Martin, way to date yourself. Bex masqueraded as a headache cure/pickmeup but in fact was strong amphetamine-based voodoo that housewives swore by to get the housework done and live it up. So, impossible to lie down, and in some cases it was fatal, and was taken off the market when it was realized what the gently caress was in it. I can still remember the popular advertising slogan, "Bex is Better!" Imagine Tony Abbott high on Bex, he'd call the F35s or whatever airpower we have left on Indonesia :suicide:

As soon as we sign the receipt for those F35s and toss our old planes Indonesia* will invade because honestly those things are like a punchline to a terrible joke where a whole bunch of taxpayer money gets embezzled on an elaborate scheme to assassinate aussie fighter pilots

* No Indonesia won't invade I was kidding, anybody who actually believes that is either schizophrenic or just good old fashioned racist

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I hope they both get their claws stuck in and somehow Shorten accidentally wanders into the fray while looking for a sugar packet for his instant coffee and between the three of them they self-destruct the LNP and the ALP to such an extent that not even ScreamingLlama would try to recreate them in 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Classic. Call for an independent review as part of a witch hunt against something, reject their findings as biased, and rinse and repeat until you get the answer you want.

• Locked thread