Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

4: Why July To Me Baby

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel yes, if you've signed up: synirc, #longwalk

where are the previous months April, May June

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; right now it's likely to be me, we'll see how that works out (if someone else wants to take over this role I'll post it here)

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for at least a year, but if it's working for people there's no reason it couldn't go on longer

ock? look you're not even in the right thread ok

Long Walk 4: Why July To Me Baby

IRonic Twist: one ~2000 word short story due at 11:59 PM EST on the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th, 8k words in total. made it
Redtonic: 10k :siren: FAILFAILFAIL :siren:
Morning Bell: 5k got there moominavatar safe
Bad Seafood: 20k (progress reports x4) made it: doof un-boofed
Sitting Here: 20k lol made it with 20 k 'words'
thranguy: 8k hurrah thranguy =/= ban-guy
Canadian SurfClub: 10k made it and loves the smell of napalm in the morning it smells like maple syrup (b/c Canadian you see)
Neth: 5k trivial target trivially met gj nethillybilly
Carborck: 60k like a glorious madman :siren: FAILFAILFAIL CROARRBKOC NOOOOO :siren:
psinted bird: 5k woot you did not make me kill again well done u
martyfarty: 10k (2k/week) hurrag terrible cyberwords effluviated nah just kidding they're probably ok
muffinpuffin: 8k HOOAH math speak typed well done
Jonked: 12k go jonked you're the jonkedest no one jonks harder than u
grizled poopriarch: 5k he's stinky and he's old but hey he made it so stop criticising him ok just stop
broenheim: 5k broenheim more like soenheim as in 'so-inheim not banned!' ha, ha
Capntastic: 5k I just promoted you to coloneltastic for making it then knocked you back to PFC for smartmouthed sass-talk then both were overturned on appeal by the military judgeguy so count yourself lucky if you can even count that high (doubtful)
kurona_bright: 7k awright kb is OG with his dos word countin flimflammer but he made it so really only a cur would complain

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Let's try this again.

:toxx: for one ~2000 word NON-TD short story due at 11:59 PM EST on the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th, 8k words in total.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 1, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Carrot: Custom Avatar gift certificate for anyone registered in this thread by [MONTH] 15 who finishes their novel (draft ok) or submits a short. Must also make your :toxx: obviously.

This is continuous, by the way. If you signed up for long walk before 15th of the month, and fulfilled any of the above...PM me.... in a week after I re-reg ....

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 1, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Toxxing for 10k on the novel, no other words count for July.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Toxxing 5k. Have short story first drafts to re-write and a couple of ideas to play with.

I failed May's long walk because I made my word limit but went overseas on vacation and forgot to post on the internet about it. Locking myself in my room and refusing to go outside for a month to avoid this happening again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Put me down for 20k again. Furthermore, I must give weekly progress reports every Friday. There is no benchmark I am required to hit for these progress reports, but if I wrote nothing (or absurdly little) then I should have to come in here and say "I wrote nothing this week" and own up to my shame.

:toxx:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:toxx: for 20K

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
:toxx: for 8K again, this time not excluding TD stories, and also committing to having a reasonably large part of that being an outline for at least one novella- or novel-length project.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
hi cc its been a while

i'm gonna :toxx: 10k for now. No TD for me but have some short stories to round out and a summer project I want to get ahead on. Would be nice to pile up some chapters.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 1, 2015

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

:toxx: Throwing my hat in the ring for 5k on some historical character YA fiction. Gotta work my way to that 50k long haul by November.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Toxxing 60k

30k on smut
20k on my novel
10k misc

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
If I actually unban myself before August:

:toxx: for 5k.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Can you post the list of banned people from the previous month in the OP?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

angel opportunity posted:

Can you post the list of banned people from the previous month in the OP?

I asked for this last thread :mad:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
:toxx: 10k this month again, this time 2000 words minimum every Saturday starting with the 12th since I'm in Richmond with my wife, ESB, and twinkle cave until this Sunday and have no laptop.

Also thread title rules, tanks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

I asked for this last thread :mad:

SURE WHY NOT

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:toxx: 8k.

Anybody got a good idea for a magazine I could submit to this month?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
:toxx: on 12k by the end of July.

Not gonna toxx myself on the weekly subgoal tho cause that's some bullshit. 3k a week.

7/8 Goal: 1331/3000
7/15 Goal: 1258/3000
7/22 Goal: 1782/3000

July Goal: 4371/12000

Jonked fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 20, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Gonna be a busy month, so I'm shooting for 5k non-Dome words by the end of July, but I am also going to submit at least 5 stories for publication (with proof posted itt). :toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
I'll try this out. :toxx: I'll go for 5k, whether it be multiple flash fictions or one short story. Non-TD of course.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

:toxx: 5k of words this month.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
K I'm planning to submit 8K to Clarkesworld at the end of this month. Does anybody want to take up the challenge with me?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I will drop everything and do science fiction. At least 5k, per the above. Submitted to Clarkseworlde. So shall I :toxx:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While it's not one of the four "Core" Fridays of the month, I will report in today to say I wrote nothing because I was too busy playing video games.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Capntastic posted:

I will drop everything and do science fiction. At least 5k, per the above. Submitted to Clarkseworlde. So shall I :toxx:
Yeeeah boy. Prompt me and I'll prompt you.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yeeeah boy. Prompt me and I'll prompt you.

Someone's sense of timing causes a small mistake that prevents a larger one

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Capntastic posted:

Someone's sense of timing causes a small mistake that prevents a larger one
Two men are alone on a large boat, but neither can remember how they got there.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Two men are alone on a large boat, but neither can remember how they got there.

You're a right proper fucker for making me work that into a scifi story that, from what I'd come up with so far, was gonna take place on a space colony.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
space boat

hth

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

space boat

hth
Generational ship, a colony of people put on a self-sufficient space ship and sent out at near-C speeds.

It's a pretty fun setting to write about. The whole city in a bottle thing, I guess.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

He said boat, he means boat.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Presumably, other planets have bodies of water on them.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Okay, I'm going for this again! To make sure I don't end up writing 5000 words in a single day again (:v:), I'm setting a goal of 7000 words this month, with at least 3000 words done by the 20th. :toxx:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Last month at the end I wrote a lot of crap that I ended up tossing, including some abortive prologue thing, so I'm back down to to 58,000 to start out this month's wordcount. So the :toxx: is for 68,000 by the end of the month, weekly goal still applies.

edit:

ain't exactly 58k but close enough, 68k is still the goal

Martello fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 5, 2015

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1j4BcrR73EJewUV2EuobIV_tE_lIjwg1z-R4vedD-3s0/edit?usp=sharing

First story, written in a bit of a rush, but 2040 words by my count.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
So I didn't make my week 1 goal, but that's alright. I managed to get a pretty big dent into my monthly goal, so I'm making forward progress. I've also signed up for TDome again, so that's going to be some words. All in all, I'm not worried. I'm getting a little anxious about doing 18k words in August and 27k words in September - if I'm already feeling the burn at 12k, how the hell am I going to survive 50k in November?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

note to self: this is a terrible way to start a 60k toxx month....

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
i forgot i'm at drill this weekend so my weekly goal is due by sunday, yes i am changing my own meaningless rules, dwi

lol, nevermind, goal met and exceeded

Martello fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 10, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Martello posted:

i forgot i'm at drill this weekend so my weekly goal is due by sunday, yes i am changing my own meaningless rules, dwi

lol, nevermind, goal met and exceeded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
ha i read that issue when it came out and i didn't yet know that cape books and dc in particular were terrible

i very much adore how she says "sooperman" since that's literally the phonetic pronunciation of superman and says absolutely nothing about her as a person (she's probably a decent mother despite her other faults) and everything about the writer

• Locked thread