Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is singapore as cool as i think it is or not
yes super cool, nearly perfect
no there is a serf underclass
no bcause it is bad for the environment
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
There's nothing about Singapore that is rich. Economically, culturally, religiously, there's literally no reason for Singapore to even exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

SweetKarma posted:

There's nothing about Singapore that is rich. Economically, culturally, religiously, there's literally no reason for Singapore to even exist.

Nope. It does suck though. Higher GDP than Japan, mostly competitive with western stats. It's all bullshit though, but for a SEA nation it's rich. Tiny, rich and boring.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LegoPirateNinja posted:

venice is an open sewer

real talk i knew a guy from singapore and he said a small car costs $60,000 and you have to pay a fortune for parking

It's actually worse than that.
Base price + 20% duty + registration (which is 100-180% depending on price) + the license to own the thing, which they auction off like taxi medallions for more than the cost of the car. A cheap compact ends up costing $100,000.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
The Japs could take two tanks and a couple helicopters into Singapore and they'd have the entire loving country in a day. The only reason they don't is because we say they don't.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was born there in mount Elizabeth hospital. Singapore is the future of all capitalist countries.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Singapore is a bizarre enclave state comparable to North Korea, though obviously more successful. The political process is broken completely. Cultural expression not approved by the authorities is firmly punished. It is illegal to be gay. Minorities are exploited and abused. The press is not free in any sense of the word.

It's a fun place to spend a weekend on the end of an Australia/SE Asia if you're white or the right kind of asian but I think it'd be oppressive to spend any larger amount of time there.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Why would anyone go to singapore "for the weekend"? At best it's a layover flight to Australia or China. Nobody actually goes there for fun.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

As a percentage, how many former LF shitposters are either sex tourists or pedophiles now

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

SweetKarma posted:

Why would anyone go to singapore "for the weekend"? At best it's a layover flight to Australia or China. Nobody actually goes there for fun.
I'd go for the food.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

like I feel like we're well over 50% by now, is it because LF turned normal folks into sweaty molestors or because that was the kind of people naturally attracted to ironic maoism

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Al Cowens posted:

I'd go for the food.

And you'd be right. Two days - eat all the laksa, curries and seafood and get the gently caress out.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Nobody books a ticket for another country just for the food. Unless you're rich and feel like tasting food in another country makes you "cultured".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're living in the area it's actually pretty cheap. I forget how much Singapore was, but if you base yourself in Manila or Bangkok you can get to Malaysia/etc. for like $60, or at least you could 5 years ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SweetKarma posted:

Nobody books a ticket for another country just for the food. Unless you're rich and feel like tasting food in another country makes you "cultured".

there are places where countries are close together, especially for literal city-states like singapore

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
What do you mean exactly? Somebody books a flight to Singapore just go to Malaysia?

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
It all sounds very fascist to me.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Why would anyone go to Singapore when there's better food, drugs, and nature in like any other SE Asian country

Edit: and way cheaper

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol at these people that think a serf underclass isn't cool

you know what would be really even cooler? a surf underclass

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's not fascism if it doesn't have revolutionary palingenetic ultranationalism and weird youth/hero worship with heavy homoerotic undertones.
:spergin:

Beating people for chewing gum is just plain old authoritarianism.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
every time you get done eating somewhere like a literally 100 year old woman comes out and starts cleaning up in agony and it's incredibly sad, those poor aunties and uncles

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's not fascism if it doesn't have revolutionary palingenetic ultranationalism and weird youth/hero worship with heavy homoerotic undertones.

yes but it's authoritarian capitalism

that's the best kind

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

In short its boring as all gently caress. Its a mean spirited version of demolition man society.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

are you somehow using the old stylesheet???

i have no idea why but that is how SA looks here

anyway it was nice but we're def ready to dip after five days. museums were cool (both history and art ones,) architecture was pretty entertaining, food was good. marina bay garden was awesome

now i will go sit on the beach for a month while my wife does a yoga certification

never forget the major caterpillar attacks of the 70s

baw fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Probably because Scandinavian style social democracy is superior to gook authoritarianism OP

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

you know what would be really even cooler? a surf underclass

as long as they tend their crops they can do whatever they want in their free time

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i'm michael fay

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
singapore seems like the sort of society i would build in tropico

do they randomly disappear underperforming teamsters and construction workers for fun/as an example to the rest?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beef Turret posted:

Probably because Scandinavian style social democracy is superior to gook authoritarianism OP

it'd be interesting to look at their relative prosperity with metrics (life satisfaction, infant mortality rate, poo poo like that) instead of just ranking by ideological purity - both places are obviously quite prosperous but I don't believe you have a good reason to believe that one is better in practice than the other besides that you want it to be true

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Pretty sure that the Scandinavian underclass is less hosed than that of Singapore which is the only metric that matters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nah happiness in aggregate matters more, if you could torture one guy indefinitely and somehow it solves world hunger and prevents malaria worldwide, you should do it

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
You seem like just the guy for the job.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nah happiness in aggregate matters more, if you could torture one guy indefinitely and somehow it solves world hunger and prevents malaria worldwide, you should do it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ones_Who_Walk_Away_from_Omelas

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yep exactly what I was thinking of - cool story

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I got drunk there a couple of times and had some bomb rear end Indian food anyways thats my story thanks for reading

Also I puked in the streets with no repercussions.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

yep exactly what I was thinking of - cool story

:agreed:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I had a 12 hour layover there on the way to New Zealand and yeah it was boooring as poo poo. The Sky Garden was nice but the highlight was probably the butterfly garden at the airport.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It makes me incredibly pleased that it's not possible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
all their networking companies are super bad and they have no problems with loving up bgp routes 3-5 times a week

yoloin it up stackin paper from all those bay companies what need asian presences

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sekenr posted:

It makes me incredibly pleased that it's not possible

The point is to craft an example where it's obviously the right thing to do, in order to make it clear that there are situations where one should compromise the happiness of the worst off person for the greater good. It, in essence, proves that there needs to be a discussion in order to figure out when one is in that situation, rather than blithely stating "it's never okay" and feeling satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The point is to craft an example where it's obviously the right thing to do, in order to make it clear that there are situations where one should compromise the happiness of the worst off person for the greater good. It, in essence, proves that there needs to be a discussion in order to figure out when one is in that situation, rather than blithely stating "it's never okay" and feeling satisfied.

The whole point of humanity is that we are a part of it I e - not 100 % individualistic like spiders for example. What if an innocent and good person has to be the martyr for the good of the rest? We throw one of our own to torture pit instead of protecting him

• Locked thread