Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is singapore as cool as i think it is or not
yes super cool, nearly perfect
no there is a serf underclass
no bcause it is bad for the environment
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lol at these people that think a serf underclass isn't cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
if you think feudalism isn't cool it's because you know you'd be a serf instead of a knight

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

The Chicago-based Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company enlisted the help of a Washington, D.C lobbyist and of Illinois Congressman Phil Crane, then-chairman of the United States House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Trade, to get chewing gum on the agenda of the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement.[5] This caused a dilemma for the Singapore Government. It recognised the health benefits of certain gums, such as a brand of sugar-free gum that contains calcium lactate to strengthen tooth enamel. Sale of this newly categorised medicinal gum was allowed, provided it was sold by a dentist or pharmacist, who must take down the names of buyers.

Soon, the USS-FTA was signed and the ban was revised. "They were tough," Crane said of the talks. Some found it surprising that Wrigley had fought hard on this battle, given the small size of Singapore's chewing market. But the company said it was worth it. "There's many examples in our history of things that may have not made short-term financial sense but was the right thing to do in a philosophical or long-term sense," said Christopher Perille, Wrigley's senior director of corporate communications.

:911:

goatse.cx haver posted:

facism works heil Tony Tan

This post has been approved by the Media Development Authority (MDA)

let the record show that the trains in singapore do in fact run on time

incidentally, vandalism to trains was apparently the impetus for the gum ban

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Miltank posted:

Its really good if you don't care about bourgeois human rights or democracy.

that's me

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

you know what would be really even cooler? a surf underclass

as long as they tend their crops they can do whatever they want in their free time

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
singapore has privatised law enforcement

also when I was in afghanistan there were exactly two guys from the singaporean military there, according to them they represented the entirety of singapore's contribution to the mission, idk if that's correct or not though I just took their word for it

singaporean people have a tendency to end sentences with the word "la" for no reason which can be annoying but sometimes it's cute depending on the person

that's the end of what I know about singapore

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

The "lah" thing isn't for no reason. Those stupid words they end the sentences with ("lah", "leh", "meh", "wat") mostly come from Mandarin or various Chinese dialects. The language everyone here speaks is some mishmash of English, Chinese and some Malay so it sounds all hosed up, kinda like Hawaii locals with their Pidgin.

I'm not totally fluent in mandarin but having some background in it doesn't give me any insight into the la thing

could it be like a cantonese version of "ma"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

[*]Now I'm not racist but... it's full of indians and chinese people. The older generation is especially terrible

I am, and Indians are, well, from India, but what's wrong with Chinamen

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nutsngum posted:

Because theyre a bunch of facists op and if I try to remember right we built the loving atomic bomb to deal with those fucks.

So basically we should nuke Singapore.

facism is natural, some people just have bad faces and should be excluded from society

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Agag posted:

Goons supporting a fascist enclave with excellent food options is pretty obvious.

fascism is good, hth

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

st1LL_51ngl3 posted:

Seriously though this place is not bad as a city but pretty mediocre as a country. My favorite descriptions include:
"Disneyland with the death penalty" (William Gibson) and "the only shopping mall with a seat in the UN."

"mediocre as a country" is pretty good for a 21st century city-state

I mean throw a dart at a spinning globe, provided it doesn't land in an ocean you'll probably hit a shithole

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
honestly you could go anywhere in the world with enough money and be okay

if you had a decent amount of money, like a million or so, you could set up a decent fiefdom on the outskirts of kandahar.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lmbo yes, that's what would happen, but that's why you don't actually go there with a suitcase full of money, you go there with private security and a legal executor and remote access to a bank account

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Agag posted:

You rent a truckload of gunboys before you do business in a place like the Congo.

correct

if you're in the market, I'm available on the cheap

nothing long-term though I have plans

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

RennZero posted:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. I could never live comfortably with the knowledge of that one person being tortured for my benefit. I am sure many others would feel the same. I would rather just catch malaria and die or whatever.

I guess you're going to sell all of your modern possessions then and go break rocks by hand in the Congo or work 16 hours a day on an assembly line in a sweatshop in Thailand. People there are being subjected to unsafe, unfair working conditions for hundredths of what you probably get paid an hour so that your luxury consumer goods can be sold at an affordable enough price for there to be an actual market for them. Your computer was paid for with food stolen off of their tables.

But it's worth it because, even if the vast majority of the people who get to live the middle class+ life of ease in the developed world waste it by poopsocking world of warcraft or whatever, the fact that a few of us get the chance to engage in pursuits like art, astrophysics, advanced number theory, etc., is what makes our species different from every other one on earth and thus gives meaning to our collective existence.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
one day some brilliant mathematician will formulate a proof for the goldbach conjecture

if you were somehow able to work out the collective suffering his fellow human beings went through in order to afford him the opportunities necessary to do that and then express it in, I don't know, a number of africans that had to live short brutal lives in abject squalor on the equivalent of a single dollar a day or whatever, how many do you think it'd be?

idk, a hundred thousand? a million? a billion? I can't think of a number where I can definitely say "nope, not worth it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Beef Turret posted:

It'd definitely be worth it if all the victims shared the highest coefficient of relationship with you

I would say this would be a perfect way for goons to gain value from our lives but obviously no one here is capable of an honest day's labour under any conditions

• Locked thread