Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

What "famous" standup routines/comedians just aren't funny anymore? And which ones are?

Eddie Murphy's 80s routines are fairly unlistenable, endless comments about "faggots", not even jokes, just saying "faggots are gay" a lot as the audience whoops and hollers.

Billy Connolly. Was he ever that funny? Was it just because he had a funny voice and presence? There's barely a chuckle in his paper thin material about "wee jobbies" and the working class. A friend of mine spent $15 buying his comedy special, that was funnier than anything on the recording.

Even though it's from the early 70's, Robert Klein's stuff is still pretty funny, I think his material has aged well, maybe because it's less well known too.

Any others that are still surprisingly good? What else hasn't stood the test of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vpkoqzd39s

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Eddie Murphy says "the N-word" a lot. I wish he was more niggardly with the use of that word.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Still funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlkxrNlp10

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

George Carlin has a sweet spot of timeless material, in the middle of his career. His deconstruction of the seven dirty words is still great. I honestly love his really early "go to the grocery store" - type stuff, but I don't think it's for everyone. And near the end, he was just shouting politics like an aged, angrier Bill Maher, but without the hand movements.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Gallagher. Except he was never funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEItc7u_U1I

I think the entire audience was on PCP or something.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I've been through branson, mo a few times and it is loving mind boggling how people find some of those shows entertaining. I mean you don't have to be crude to be funny, but everything seems like it comes from very tacky aliens.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

dougdrums posted:

I've been through branson, mo a few times and it is loving mind boggling how people find some of those shows entertaining. I mean you don't have to be crude to be funny, but everything seems like it comes from very tacky aliens.

what shows?

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

amityville anus posted:

Eddie Murphy says "the N-word" a lot. I wish he was more niggardly with the use of that word.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Chrpno posted:

what shows?

I can't recall a specific one, I've just seen the weird theaters and billboards when I worked there for a little while.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dougdrums posted:

I can't recall a specific one, I've just seen the weird theaters and billboards when I worked there for a little while.

"dougdrums" posted:

Well have you been through there a few times, or did you used to work there?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Eh ma. How about some cookies?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
billy conolly's act has never been about laughing out loud at every sentence. he's a story teller. he actually started out singing songs and telling a joke between songs then the jokes took over

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
I feel we should lump him in because for a while people actually believed he was funny. But carlos mencia is a terrible loving hack comedian who I could never stand.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bill Cosby's stand up was good, but it doesn't work anymore for other reasons

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

GORDON posted:

Well have you been through there a few times, or did you used to work there?

I worked like 20 miles away, which is why I've been through there a few times. I would just say I lived in branson but that's embarrassing and 20 miles from branson is absolutely nowhere.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

5:15 fag joke biggest laugh in the set

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LegoPirateNinja posted:

5:15 fag joke biggest laugh in the set

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Must have been pretty edgy for the 50's
I laughed at the idea of a $1000 electric car, though it's kind of frustrating that it took 50 years for them to become anything close to a reality.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

george bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I predict some people might eventually generate some backlash for Norm Macdonald when they realize that he's funny exclusively because of his dad vibes, but at the same time, who doesn't like a good dad every now and then? Dads are timeless.

• Locked thread