Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah the problem with the whole idea of "altruism is really just hedonism" is that it only makes sense if you don't apply it to anything else. If you start applying that logic to other concepts or actions besides altruism it becomes clear that this logic only works by conflating "hedonism" with "doing things for any reason at all" and thus the only non-hedonistic action possible is one that is entirely random.
That's what they're trying to prove though, that humans by their nature of being rational are also selfish, even when they're being altruistic. A = A etc.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Peztopiary posted:

Sure, but that dude is arguing that all charity comes from a place of contempt. It's very Randian. If you feel contempt when you give someone a couple bucks, that's an indictment of you personally, not all Humanity.

^^*edit* That there are a lot of broken people doesn't mean that it's not useful to point out that finding the needy contemptible isn't normal. Dollar tipper people are rightfully derided.

Obviously people don't instantly feel contempt toward anyone they help, especially if the help is offered on an equal basis. It's when one person is systematically subordinated to another person, or when someone starts to feel outright pity for another human being, that the process slowly becomes toxic. Human emotions are complicated.

Tipping is a way of letting the customer exercise power over the server. Studies consistently show that this results in all kinds of bad outcomes. Female waiters are more subject to sexism and unable to fight back, attractive servers get higher tips than less attractive ones, whites get better tips than blacks, etc. It would be far better to eliminate tipping and pay everyone involved equal wages. Yet customers often react very badly when they learn they can't tip because it robs them of the opportunity to exercise control over the compensation given to the server.

When everything is going well people often mask what they are doing, even to themselves. They don't really want to acknowledge that their getting off on choosing how much of a tip the server deservs. But of course that's what they are doing and it's very enjoyable because it grants you a momentary sense of control over another person.

Jack Gladney posted:

It is demeaning to lose autonomy and to be reminded that you do not have autonomy. If you are a decent human being, you sometimes think about how not to humiliate others when doing for them what they cannot do for themselves.

The negative psychology works both ways. Both the giver and receiver of charity are changed by the act. It's harmless or even beneficial in small doses but when a society begins to institutionalize or depend upon the instincts of charity and pity to take care of the weak and forgotten members of that society it creates exactly the kind of Just-World-fallacy-inspired dystopia that much of North American society has degenerated into.

Liberals will pretend we can have massive inequality and then depend on the rich to generously sprinkle crumbs for the rest of us. Conservatives are even more horrid and suggest that the charity should be privately based. It would obviously be better to focus on reducing inequality rather than pitying the unfortunates and tossing them crumbs, but this solution isn't amendable to the people who desperately want to feel superior to their fellow human beings.

Pity is an ugly emotion.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

That's what they're trying to prove though, that humans by their nature of being rational are also selfish, even when they're being altruistic. A = A etc.

I don't think these people understand that a philosophical truism is not the same as truth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a lot they don't understand. I'm beginning to suspect that we shouldn't take them seriously.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jack Gladney posted:

Dignity is a pretty fundamental need. There are conditions under which one's own powerlessness can be exploited to deprive them of their dignity, including some in which one's hardships are simultaneously reduced or removed. There are also ways of helping another person that do not assault his or her dignity.

Pretty much,. The entire Asian concept of "face" is pretty much this.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My favorite piece of literature is Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's Kappa

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maimonides dealt with this whole charity thing in the Middle Ages and while I think you could quibble on the margins, his own order of the best forms of giving are a good benchmark. I guess you can argue whether giving tax money to the WELFARE MAN is the second-best kind or the least-best kind but that seems more like an attitude problem than an issue with the giving of tzedekah. :jewish:

e: tipping is definitely the worst form of giving and the restaurant should pay their servers adequately, rendering any small gratuities genuine and spontaneous

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 5, 2016

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Ddraig posted:

Pretty much,. The entire Asian concept of "face" is pretty much this.

In Japan, the hikikomori/NEET issue with their young populace stems a lot out of this: their life experiences don't match what they were promised and their 'outside' doesn't match their 'inside' on a socially acceptable level.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honne_and_tatemae

Armani fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 6, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a lot they don't understand. I'm beginning to suspect that we shouldn't take them seriously.

What

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Guavanaut posted:

Minus the Randian association you threw in at the end, this is true. Objectivists would not argue that helping others is an inherently selfish action, seeing as they view the concept of self-sacrifice as abhorrent and don't make the connection between "helping others makes the world a better place" and "the world being a better place benefits me."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Conflating Rand's ideas with Nietzsche's suggests a lack of familiarity with one or both of those authors, as does suggesting that Nietzsche believed humans were inherently rational and selfish.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Alternately, the point of the conflation is to show that Rand seems not to have understood, or chose to overlook, a lot of Nietzsche's actual ideas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Helsing posted:

Conflating Rand's ideas with Nietzsche's suggests a lack of familiarity with one or both of those authors, as does suggesting that Nietzsche believed humans were inherently rational and selfish.
I don't think the Dark Enlightenment has actually read any Nietzsche outside of azquotes, so that checks out.

Kit Walker posted:

Minus the Randian association you threw in at the end, this is true. Objectivists would not argue that helping others is an inherently selfish action, seeing as they view the concept of self-sacrifice as abhorrent and don't make the connection between "helping others makes the world a better place" and "the world being a better place benefits me."
Their argument usually goes 'everything you do is for selfish reasons anyway, so why not embrace Randian rational self-interest'. It fails because of what you said in the last part.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Questions Skeptics Have For The Alt Right

does this count as necro-posting? Let me know to close the thread

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Who are the best alt-right philosophers I should read? Looking to get into the alt-right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Define "best".

It's not a group renowned for its intellectual titans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Who are the best alt-right philosophers I should read? Looking to get into the alt-right.

'Best' by which measure?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well is there any masterwork that everyone reads? Who is the big figure?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The answer to both of your questions is that there isn't one.

You could try reading Moldbug if you're a masochist though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

They are really into science fiction and blogs. Even like actual Nietzsche is so much smarter and better than the entire movement that there's no point in using him to understand them. It's like with randroids but times ten.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

/r/redpill.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Julius Evola is a key figure, and spectacularly insane to boot.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
ive missed this thread :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Whitey-Moon-Politics-death-Program/dp/1519461267/ref=la_B00FFEXMN8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483151119&sr=1-1

hes a white nationalist using a pseudonym of the main character from the Death Wish movies :v:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 31, 2016

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

There's always Mein Kampf.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Amazingly, his twitter reveals he actually likes Russia more than he hates Black people.

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/814857805454774272

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/814991951963549697

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Amazingly, his twitter reveals he actually likes Russia more than he hates Black people.

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/814857805454774272

https://twitter.com/sbpdl/status/814991951963549697

i try to actively avoid that guy's twitter/blog (to maintain what little sanity i have left) but drat if im not a glutton for punishment

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

oh gawd. This is not an unreasonable question, but it's a rabbit hole of derp, combining obscurity and inanity like all the best worst Internet arguments.

Alt-Right: rebranded white nationalism (like, that's explicitly what it was and is intended to be).
Neoreaction: a brand put together by the incredibly long-winded Curtis Yarvin, aka Mencius Moldbug. See the RationalWiki article, which I wrote most of.
Dark Enlightenment: an umbrella term coined by Nick Land in a terrible essay of the same name. He is the only one of these bozos with anything resembling intellectual chops, so one is allowed to feel disappointed that he's clubbing it up with these idiots.

The PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread is pretty good (I'm there a lot), if you read the first thirty pages then skip to the end and avoid Cingulate's threadshitting.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Neoreaction: a basilisk" is really the first and last word in the field.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Neoreaction: a basilisk" is really the first and last word in the field.

Seriously. Buy a copy off Phil Sandifer and be willing to skim the bits about William Blake toward the back.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pope Guilty posted:

Seriously. Buy a copy off Phil Sandifer and be willing to skim the bits about William Blake toward the back.

Hey, that bit answers the questions the DE ask! Specifically, that (a) William Blake answered all their concerns two hundred years ahead (b) Nick Land in particular, as an educated Englishman, has no excuse not to have known this.

NaB is currently in preparation (I think Phil has two more bonus essays to write - TERFs and Icke) and will be properly released in 2017. Some preview segments here.

there's a bootleg of an early draft up on libgen, cos if you're gonna be bootlegged then be bootlegged by the best

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

getting into the alt-right is really easy, just post racist as gently caress things on your twitter and call people cucks

no philosophizing necessary

the question is why you would want to

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

getting into the alt-right is really easy, just post racist as gently caress things on your twitter and call people cucks

no philosophizing necessary

the question is why you would want to

Because they've somehow become a political force in the USA, and most people are uncomfortable with the idea of shooting fellow citizens to preserve democracy, so they convince themselves that these people can be studied, and thus understood and reasoned with.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Because they've somehow become a political force in the USA, and most people are uncomfortable with the idea of shooting fellow citizens to preserve democracy, so they convince themselves that these people can be studied, and thus understood and reasoned with.

Funny enough alot of people I know who claim to be conservative. (Of course theny also want their social security and medicare, andwhen pressed say that if welfare inolved you putting on a shirt twenty hours a week that said ON WELFARE and picking up trash they would support it in perpetuity) would be happy to see all nazis shot. So just run on a platform of SHOOT ALL NAZIS!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol: at the OP closing down that "Why is the far right so dominant online?" thread

too uncomfortable to see what's been under her nose the whole time

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Race Realists posted:

:lol: at the OP closing down that "Why is the far right so dominant online?" thread

too uncomfortable to see what's been under her nose the whole time

I hope your AV is treating you okay. The professor in your AV is similar to your politics and is one of the first images when you look up "race realism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Dilbert and Dilbert, respectively.

• Locked thread