Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dexie posted:

I get Shiny Happy People and Stand, but what's the reasoning behind All Star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvA3GQuvYU

Slight Spoiler Note: contains various characters from part 4, for people who haven't read it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

Yep, that settles it. And really it's a relief because I can give more spontaneous impressions. Ohhh boy I can't wait to get started. I'm busy doing some additional Slam Fighter II improvement stuff (vote for Slam Fighter II, guys!) but that will be done by Friday, and then this weekend it's time for Let's Effort Read Part 4 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure!.

E: Bad Seafood, congrats on your mod-hood! I don't plan on reproing each chapter page by page, but about how much do you think I can post without it being :filez: ?

Are you planning on running this as a thread read-along, or are you just going to read it on your own then post analysis of each arc?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

E: to clarify, I don't plan on doing one post per story arc, but I don't want to commit to one post per chapter either. I'd be telling everyone what chapter(s) I plan to read next and then everybody can get ready for when I actually post by reading it/them too.

K cool, this is what I was hoping for! It was sounding a little like you were just going to be posting analysis (which is great) rather than encouraging people to read along with you.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think anyone has asked or explained yet, but I think the first kanji in Higashikata can also be read as "Jo", which is why Araki chose that as Josuke's last name.

So he's still JoJo.

I remember being told that the "suke" in his name can be read as "Jo", so his name can literally be "JoJo"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This scene / solution from Josuke is one of my favorites in all of JoJo. There this thing in my mom's blood? Better smash a loving bottle through her, then repair the bottle as I pull it back through her to catch the stand, then repair her as well.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

Alright alright, enough of this nonsense. Gotta be serious here! Back to talkin' 'bout the manga!

Josuke is an unusual kid - for one, he has goofy hair

Mods????

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

Thanks for the positive feedback! I feel like I'm walking a fine line balancing act on a number of counts -- I don't want to get too bogged down in overly-long sermons pontificating my opinions on Araki's art or writing but at the same time I don't want to just dryly summarize what's happening. And I always enjoy poking fun at the things I love (as my IRL friends can attest) but I feel like I need to balance my desire to yuk it up with some restraint so that the focus remains on the original chapter itself and not a bunch of wisecracks (the Let's Cold Read videos are in part an outlet for this impulse!) So to hear everything is coming together well is really encouraging.

As for the covering future Jojos, in fact this is the first time anyone has asked that. While I can't make any commitments, as long as everyone is still having a good time I don't see why not. And I would keep posting the Let's Read to SA first as long as there was a good thread to put it in since what I enjoy most about doing this is participating in the resulting discussion.

One thing I may have to explore at some point is either guest entries or writing a bunch of entries in advance to release at timed intervals. This wouldn't be for any time soon, but I'm getting married next summer so I'll probably be busy as hell around that time and I'm sure life will rear its head in other unexpected ways, so if any of you feel like you could do some chapters if given like a month lead time, let me know, either here in thread, via PM, or via my goon email: manuela.malasanya@gmx.com.

While I'm talking meta, if anybody would like to do a Let's Cold Read Duwang with me and Ziggy Starfucker over Skype one night, we are seeking a Tohikazu...

I actually really love the analysis about Araki’s art and writing - it’s my favorite part of the Let’s Read. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to find chapter summaries in various places online, but your insights into what likely went into the creation of the comic itself is really interesting and unique, please keep it up!

I’d also totally be down to read more for future parts, if it comes to that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Koichi owns. :colbert:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Here we go. :getin:

Adbot