Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

massive spider posted:

One of mulholland drives best scenes is a jump scare.
Yeah that's probably the best "jump scare" ever. Even though there's so much buildup to it, it's unexpectedly terrifying. Lynch is the master of terrifying moments in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5WC0TW_0qc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

The best jump scares are the ones without any sort of overt acknowledgement (i.e. the cliche DUN DUUUUUUUN cue).

Best example I've seen recently is at the end of Final Prayer when the sphincter flexes. Neither of the characters present seem to notice it and it takes them another minute or two to figure out what's going on.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
And what's the deal with rollercoasters? Who were the ad wizards who came up with that?

Jump scares are fine. They have saved many a bad horror movie from being genuinely unwatchable.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What's wrong with double butter popcorn and keno

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Frostwerks posted:

What's wrong with double butter popcorn and keno

Keno is barely even a game.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Like literally any other film technique, they can be used effectively and poorly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sticklefifer posted:

Like literally any other film technique, they can be used effectively and poorly.

I mean there's plenty of examples of cheap ways to instill dread, like playing creepy kid's music.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was pretty hilarious that the Avengers 2 trailer even that (which is weird cause it would've been a lot more effective if they just had Ultron reciting the lines).

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
No joke, one of the only effective moments in Age of Ultron was when Ultron floats up behind Dr. Klaw and he looks like some sorta glowing slasher shark. Honestly if that movie had consisted entirely of cheap but competently deployed horror techniques, I would have enjoyed it a bunch more

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Keno is barely even a game.

For some reason I associate Keno with Devil Dinosaur. I have no idea what the gently caress Keno and a red T-Rex have to do with each other. This is legitimately bothering me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

massive spider posted:

One of mulholland drives best scenes is a jump scare.

becaouse its like what is that thing?!? no really

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

HP Hovercraft posted:

Yeah that's probably the best "jump scare" ever. Even though there's so much buildup to it, it's unexpectedly terrifying. Lynch is the master of terrifying moments in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5WC0TW_0qc

:agreed:

I'm a bit of a movie snob yet I was so bored by Inland Empire I turned it off. A friend of mine was shocked and told me that the end makes it worthwhile, she was right. Hoooly poo poo. Lost Highway, on the other hand, is the opposite of jump scares, he makes a creepy old man mortally terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZowK0NAvig

Robert Blake was the perfect person to have for that role.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Woman in Black from a few years ago relied pretty heavily on jumpscares. Of course this was pretty well mixed with a sense of dread that lingered throughout the whole film, and you're kept on edge most of the time because you're expecting the movie to jump you again any moment now. It was far from a perfect film but it was probably the best horror experience I've had in a theater, 4 people walked out.

The Bear Scare in Chernobyl Diaries was pretty awesome too. Things went downhill from there though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Saying all jump scares are bad is a little ridiculous, it's one of many horror filmmaking techniques and requires a deft director to take advantage of it. A crappy jump scare is a cheap trick that simply startles you whereas a good jump scare is the release of tension from building dread. The director needs to unconsciously give the viewer the sense that something is wrong (often camera angles are enough) and then build on that sense from there, then hit them with the scare unexpectedly. Lynch is great at this.

Once you understand how a good jump scare is crafted it's really easy to spot, yet it often still works, which is kinda testament to its power.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Next thread: why do people say star wipes are good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flashy_mcflash posted:

Next thread: why do people say star wipes are good?

Because they just are. QED

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I want a film to use star wipes for every cut. Not every transition between scenes, every CUT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I kinda miss transition wipes and fades and stuff.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Give me a nice screen wipe or give me death.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hopefully the new Star Wars films keep up the tradition.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There should be a movie that only consists of jump scares and star wipes.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Why do people say toilets are good?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Tenzarin posted:

There should be a movie that only consists of jump scares and star wipes.

That's the new cut of Age of Ultron that I'm working on

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Who decided star wipes needs to be fast? I want a single star wipe that happens over a 2 hour movie. So as time goes on there's less and less screen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Hopefully the new Star Wars films keep up the tradition.

Not even a question. I do miss the artfully done fade, it seems very sparing in use nowadays.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Best type of jump scare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_8h-AbQ98

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Battlefield Earth uses wipes. And so did I after I saw that turd!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

Battlefield Earth uses wipes. And so did I after I saw that turd!

When I bought Battlefield Earth on dvd for a dollar on amazon, they sent me a thank you letter.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Tenzarin posted:

Who decided star wipes needs to be fast? I want a single star wipe that happens over a 2 hour movie. So as time goes on there's less and less screen.

just go to any movie and close your eyes really slowly over the course of it.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Even videogames get in on that action. Cat scares are great. Another good one is Cat People:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXo8eeEdo0

You're afraid a cat's gonna jump out, but instead a bus drives into frame suddenly and doesn't run over anybody. Cat People subverts all expectations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The bus jerking to a stop in Cat People is literally what they teach in school when it comes to horror movies about building tension for a startle like that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Good jumpscares:

- The hobo manwoman thing in Mullholand Drive
- The demons in Jacob's Ladder
- The spider in Enemy

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Not even a question. I do miss the artfully done fade, it seems very sparing in use nowadays.

Just make the entire film look like your elementary school PowerPoint presentations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This has always been one of my favorite jump scares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

Sometimes I think it would work better without the sting, but I do like the way it sounds like a scream echoing through the halls and cuts to the statue before it fades.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Good jumpscares:

- The demons in Jacob's Ladder

A lot of the scariest parts in Jacob's Ladder for me I wouldn't define as jump scares, but moreso the longer takes where things gradually become more and more unsettling as time passes. The scene where Jacob is being wheeled through the hospital on the gurney is disturbing as hell. There's also one really quick take where Elizabeth Pena's character is yelling at Tim Robbins, and when she says "anybody home?" there's a flash cut only a few frames long of her in demonic makeup. That part genuinely creeps me out.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Boo!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

:gonk:

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The scene in the Descent when they turn the camera on and the monster thing is just chilling behind the main character (first time you see the monster) scared the ever loving gently caress out of me also i was getting jerked off so that ruined it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You got a couple of pages of decent conversation out of this, so mission accomplished I guess but I'm not sure what you're actually getting at.

- Why do people say jumpscares are good? I don't think anyone says that.
- You wonder why critics say that jumpscares are effective, then proceed to give an example of a jumpscare which you admit is effective.
- You say jumpscares aren't good and then spend a paragraph describing a good jumpscare.

Good jumpscares are good, bad ones are bad.
Good movies can have jumpscares, bad movies can have jumpscares.

====

To add to the conversation. I was surprised how often the jumpscare was utilised in The Conjuring as I've seen this movie rank near the top a lot of "best horror movies of the millenium" lists and the movie is generally praised around these parts too. I thought the movie was going to do something quote different, but it rested on the Jumpscare for a lot of it's scares/horror elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ty1990 posted:

The scene in the Descent when they turn the camera on and the monster thing is just chilling behind the main character (first time you see the monster) scared the ever loving gently caress out of me also i was getting jerked off so that ruined it.

Ahahaha.

• Locked thread