Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Silent build up is actually very easy if you understand the process.

Like, jump scares are interesting because they borrow aspects of comedy (timing & being unpredictable) to horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Post 9-11 User posted:

There's nothing I can add that Red Letter Media hasn't already explained
lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sticklefifer posted:

Like literally any other film technique, they can be used effectively and poorly.

I mean there's plenty of examples of cheap ways to instill dread, like playing creepy kid's music.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I kinda miss transition wipes and fades and stuff.

Hopefully the new Star Wars films keep up the tradition.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FreudianSlippers posted:

You know what could work well in a slasher film. If you had a scene fairly early in the film where the main character is investigating something spooky and the eerie music starts and of course the audience expects it to be the typical fake jumpscare where it's just a cat or even the wacky friend or douchy boyfriend playing a trick. But it would actually be the killer and the main character would be killed unceremoniously like 15 minutes in.

Someone has probably already done this.

Psycho, sort of.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Vidiot posted:

...what.

Jump scares have been around since forever, I can't pinpoint the exact horror movie or year but I'd say since at least the 1970's. And "jump scare" doesn't mean something literally jumps, it's just a phrase that means it makes the audience startled or jump in their seats. It's a sudden, unexpected event in a horror movie that's usually punctuated with a loud noise from something onscreen or else a soundtrack cue like a music sting.

Psycho definitely had one with the private detective who got murdered on the staircase.

Oh and the whole mother reveal at the end too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tenzarin posted:

When I go to comedies, I love that they make me Smile Laugh. So much better then regular laughs.

Yes, that's a degree of laughter, much like being so scared you jump out of your seat is a degree.

• Locked thread