Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The most successful current horror video game series could be renamed Jump Scare: the Game so it's obviously popular and good and right. Stop being wrong please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alien came out in 1979, it wasn't like it was a played out technique back then. It's like complaining about bullet-time in the Matrix.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I dunno people defend the game series I was talkin bout even though the entire thing is jump scares and nothing else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's just as terrible in games as it is in movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

What do you mean by "Cheap"

A jump scare is usually accompanied by a loud discordant sound which will make you flinch even when not "earned" by building up tension.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was pretty hilarious that the Avengers 2 trailer even that (which is weird cause it would've been a lot more effective if they just had Ultron reciting the lines).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Battlefield Earth uses wipes. And so did I after I saw that turd!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I loved the first 2/3 of Insidious probably because the fear had nothing to do with being startled by jump scares (probably the scariest scene in the film is the little ghost dancing to Tiny Tim). I think the James Wan hate is people believing he had anything to do with Saw beyond the first one (apart from a producer credit which is meaningless).

The birthday scene in Signs isn't a jump scare, it's just frightening.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alhazred posted:

he gave the Warrens a soapbox in the form of the movie the Conjuring, but he's not a terrible director.

The movie was p good though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JFK is a more damaging film than the Conjuring could ever hope to be and plenty of peeps in this subforum defended it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The part that scared me the most in the Conjuring doesn't have the chord until after the thing actually happens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Practically everything in it is wrong (except for JFK being assassinated) and it either reinforced or introduced to a new audience the myth that Oswald didn't act alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Because people like to stick it with the fact that it helped repopularize myths about the JFK assassination, despite the fact that it's a film about the mythologization of JFK's assassination, which had never really gone away to begin with.

Don't do this. Oliver Stone created the movie as a rebuttal to the Warren Report.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

The one jumpscare that got me every time was that moment in Child's Play where Andy's mom opens Chucky's battery compartment, and at the perfect moment he swivels his head 360 degrees with that creepy electronic doll voice. I hated that moment so much that I'd always skip it or mute it when I rewatched.

Like Tenzarin touches on above, this isn't a jump scare.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Slugworth posted:

I'm pro jump scare and don't think they *hurt* any movie.

But they clearly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie came out in 1979.

• Locked thread