Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CoolCat posted:

The silent build up makes us expect that a jumpscare is coming, and the loud noise is just cheap. I know I'll get crucified for this, but Alien had some really cheap jumpscares, in my opinion. There's silence, so you know that something is coming, and then, suddenly, there's a loud noise. Very effective, but so cheap...

In the original script for Alien, Harry Dean Stanton was the alien so when they changed that they had to work around it so they added in some really cheap jump scares and we got the garbage movie that nobody talks about today.

Giger's original concept art for the xenomorph
:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I kinda miss transition wipes and fades and stuff.

Give me a nice screen wipe or give me death.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is there a name for what I guess is the opposite of a jumpscare?

Omniscient camera POV?

Phantom of the Paradise

I'm using this example because:

- it's a reference to Touch of Evil
- it references the "Hitchcock bomb"
- it's Brian De Palma
- it uses splitscreen
- it's Phantom of the Paradise

A whole scene of freaking out because girls in bikinis are dancing on a bomb is more stress inducing than a 2 second heart skip because something randomly blew up and we didn't know the bomb was there all along.

Carburetors man, that's what life is all about!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

lizardman posted:

The first "jump scare" is generally credited to Wait Until Dark from 1967.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that a jump scare is sometimes called a "Lewton Bus" because of this scene from Val Lewton's Cat People from 1942:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoXo8eeEdo0

I'm not sure who considers Halloween to be the first slasher either. People who never saw Black Christmas or Twitch of the Death Nerve or Texas Chainsaw Massacre or a whole slew of gialli I guess? Halloween was definitely a huge contributor, but it's not nearly the "first" or the film that established so many of the conventions that define those films. That's for a different thread though.

There were also plenty of cat scares before F13 Part II. The Uncanny for example is basically a whole film filled with cat scares, although the cats are in fact the menace and not a distraction from actual menace!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Literal William Castle jumpscares that have a joy buzzer underneath your seat in the theater.

House on Haunted Hill screenings also had plastic skeletons to hang on wires and slide above the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

But Carpenter did hit on something when he set the movie on Halloween, and made the characters babysitters and little kids living in an idyllic suburban neighborhood.

Sure, but what he hit on was copying Black Christmas.

• Locked thread