Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, man, the invisible assholes in this game are SUCH assholes. They make very little noise and have so few telltale signs they're there until it's too late. Don't disable the eye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of want a game like Evil Within that is a throwback to the old "explore a large area and become familiar with it as you backtrack," like the remake of Resident Evil 1. Keep the disturbing imagery, but get the player nice and familiar with the area they're going through... then as things get more distorted as you progress, the familiar areas become more warped and hazardous. Letting something familiar become dangerous and wrong is the basis of horror.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think it's technically possible to get through the game without any locker keys but they sure do make things a lot easier.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The first two chapters of TEW are really really different from the rest. You start off unable to do anything but hide, move up to be able to kill enemies with guile and stealth, finally be able to meet them on your own terms by chapter three, and so on.

Still, it never really feels like a power fantasy no matter how strong you get. To me, at least.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's good to upgrade your matches stock because you can never have enough matches. Shoot a guy in the foot to down him, toss a match on him, done. If he lights up an enemy walking over him in the process, so much the better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just caught up with all the videos and I love it when Scruffy nervously giggles. It's such a contrast to his usual calm.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We might not even have been in reality as we knew it even then. That's the trouble with reality-warping illusion worlds. You're not sure where it starts or ends and you never can be.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, this is a very boring upgrade system.

I prefer upgrade systems that are outlandish and amazing like Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel where while there are just stat-number-boosters in there, you also have a lot of stuff that transforms how you play the game, sometimes radically so.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

True, true, there are tactical options to pursue.

Getting good at this game is at least as much a process as learning how to do stuff as a player as dumping upgrade points into the player character. The game usually doesn't hint that you can shoot a guy to down him and then toss a match on him to burn him and his buddy walking over him, or stuff like that.

It's a pity this game has no martial arts moves, but not everyone can be Leon S. Kennedy I guess, haha.

My only other complaint is that some of the areas are a bit dull-looking, like you can tell which parts of the game were under-budget. Whoever was in charge of the DLC sure was a lot better at evening it out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, explosive bolts act like mines when no enemies are near them. Not sure about all the rest of them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, there's an achievement for killing the chainsaw guy in chapter 3 with stealth-knife attacks. It takes more than one to do it to him, though. You either use bottles or the flash harpoon.

I kinda wish more levels were like Chapter 3 in that it was an explorable area with multiple options for progress. Unfortunately some places in TEW are a tad linear.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hmm, something akin to the "hear/see nearby enemies through walls" as an unlockable skill, as you have in The Last of Us, might have been nice. Just so you have a better idea of what's around the corner for you. Bonus: it doesn't work if you haven't previously spotted the enemy so you can still be surprised.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Took you a while to figure out shooting the safe didn't work, huh? Heh.

I like how when he's separated from you, he deliberately decapitates himself just to respawn closer to you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pyramid Head may have been relentless and apparently indestructible but this sucker instead has Infinite Respawns (as long as there are safes nearby, anyway). I like him.

There's actually been a couple horrible pursuer monsters so far, the multi-armed stringy-haired Sadako thing and also the Chainsaw Guy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There are levels where Chainsaw Guy can chase you that also have bear traps in them and he'll get his foot stuck in them same as anyone else. You don't always have the ability to make the most of it since you can't lay bear traps of your own, but it's there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Flash-bolt ALSO stuns the Chainsaw Sadist Guy. You can perform a stealth attack on him from the front, though for some reason Sebastian chooses to shank him in the gut, so it doesn't kill him in one hit. It severely damages him, though, and it's great for getting him off your back when he's going to chop your head off.

I forget if he shows up again after this point in the game so this tip might be useless, but hey, he's already shown up as a miniboss at least twice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Finally played the DLC for this game. It had a different director and it's pretty awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think I heard somewhere that this mansion is more or less from the cutting room floor of Shinji Mikami's other projects.

Anyone ever seen that cut footage from the cancelled version of Resident Evil 4? Leon was hallucinating, fighting off dolls and ghostly enemies inside a spooky house.

Another fun fact: the first time they tried to make Resident Evil 4, Shinji Mikami turned it into Devil May Cry instead. Seriously. Actually the dolls-holding-blades and scissor-enemies popping out of paintings that you fight in Devil May Cry are very similar in concept to the killer dolls in the Cancelled Spooky Resident Evil 4.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, you were like one inch away from getting your feet blended.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if there are items in the hay bales if you burn them.

That's a good question. I don't think so, but mostly I used them for kicking into enemies to light them up. Very handy in Chapter 2 and 3 where you barely have any weapons or ammunition and more matches than you can use.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jimenez said everyone's contributing on some level, though Ruvik's at the center of it and has the most control. He only started showing up to attack us directly once we were inside the mansion from HIS memories, so I'd say that's because it's where he's strongest.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game is bullshit on any difficulty level higher than Survival. I just got to chapter 3 in the Hard mode, whatever it's called, and JESUS there's an end-game enemy patrolling the village in Chapter 3. Capable of one-hit killing you from very far away due to the thing that it does. That is bullshit, especially since normal enemies can kill you in two hits already.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Major_JF posted:

I personally would have upgraded each of the weapons critical hit chance at least once since it seems cheep enough for the occasional damage boost.

Yeah, it's the difference between a bullet or shotgun just damaging a zombie's head or blowing it up completely with one shot. (and note, sometimes a handgun bullet to the head only destroys half the zombie's head, ewwwww)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nalesh posted:

Haven't gotten that far into the LP yet, but when the first invis dude showed up I'm pretty sure there was a slight shimmer. I'd put it to compression but when I saw it I instantly thought there was an invis dude there.

They sometimes distort the air, but usually only when they're right in your face. Usually the invisible dudes appear in places with lots of dust in the air, I noticed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I actually like that boss because you can hide from it, even if it comes out of nowhere.

While the dreamscape of this game means a map would be useless I kind of wish this was a big backtrackable area as in the old Resident Evil games or Bloodborne or something. They did do this in the third Fatal Frame game. Whenever you went to sleep you'd appear in a dream mansion and two other characters would have dreams of Fatal Frame 1 and 2, and their dreams merged with yours, so branches of the dream mansion looked like levels from Fatal Frame 1 and 2. Loved that touch.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think at this point all the dreams are merging within the machine. That's why it looks like an entire city crumbling. The reality of STEM can't sustain itself much longer.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Ruvik Clone is what I was talking about earlier when I was griping about a late-game enemy appearing all the way back in the village of Chapter 3 where you don't have the agony crossbow or shotgun yet (both are found in the level, though). The Ruvik Clone is patrolling the center-back area of the village and he does that claws-out-of-the-ground attack at you from way far away and it always kills in one hit. That is ridiculously bullshit for that early in the game when you don't even have any good weapons yet. That is why the game sucks on any difficulty level above Survival.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ho ho ho, now I have a machine gun.

But if you want to tie it into :mediocre: you have to go "I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE!" and go nuts while shooting wildly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The DLC is actually really good believe it or not. Well, the Keeper I can take or leave, it's just you messing stuff up as the Keeper, but the Kidman ones are pretty drat amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IronSaber posted:

So I guess this means Kidman is The Evil Within's Ada Wong.

Much less of an infuriating femme fatale, especially from her POV.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I believe it turns invisible when it's hiding, sometimes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Samovar posted:

Well, I wasn't expecting THIS to be the DLC. It's... unorthodox to be sure.

The Julie Kidman ones are much spookier. Executioner DLC however is just for "you know what, gently caress it, MURDER EVERYTHING"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think the intro where she talks to the G-man-like guy is her wandering through her own memories. You're already in the ambulance crash at the beginning of the game, after all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zain posted:

Maybe because I have an aversion to this, but I can't see why the pure stealth isn't the weakest of the DLC. At least the Keeper DLC had some interestingness to it with silly combat stuff.

This game has some very interesting setpieces to it and you (eventually) get more options than JUST hiding.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, her nemesis is a monster version of herself. Which I kinda like, actually.

And I thought its name was Spotlight.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's tracking, which is different.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sindai posted:

I loved the guy wandering into frame while you saved.

Yeah, that was a good, subtle scare. "Oh, haha, save points aren't as safe as you think!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the elevator waiting part killed me many times but you did it first try, well done.

Part of what makes hiding from Spotlight hard is when it sees you, its light slows you down.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That file we found earlier listing tons of offenses.... It might have been Kidman herself. Remember, we found it on a chair that looks just like the chair she got her infusion in.

Also, we see here that what we see is not necessarily what others see. From her perspective, Juli wasn't trapped in that aquarium box. STEM seems to be a highly subjective experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

<- Help I've fallen in love with this game :suicide:

Awww, but your Barry one was so badass. Still, though! Nice one.

• Locked thread