Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Huh. VPS. What's going on with that VPS?

Also, I see that Kimberly is the ship's Counselor Troi, so I'm sure we can look forward to her talking about all our emotions a great deal. (Even though I didn't myself have much of a problem with Kim in D2.)

Anyway, I'd like to thank SGF for the timing of these LPs; it's appreciated by those of us who are a bit lacking in the "enjoyable things to do" department when it comes to holidays. (Well, this person, at least.)

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Taking another look at the save screen: you think Laura did her nails just in case before she went into cryo, or do you think she put a fresh coat on before setting out to investigate Parker's murder?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Well, Mercus did go to be a plant-monster miner in D2, so he has an established history of villainy.

With all the weird bosses, Panic Restaurant looks like Monster Party for food.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Re: Memorable parts of D2: Have we forgotten the masterful symbolism of Xilo, or are we just repressing the memories?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think there was a piano player whose mother grew chicken legs, though.

Those were giant monster hands that represented her dead piano-playing son, and they kept re-erupting from her womb as she took damage.

ETA: Also, we forgot the guy who was married to a computer who used to be a plant or was going to become a plant or something.

(Also also, re: "Ohdove": it's possible that in the NES era, the U.S. company thought that kids would be confused by the weird spelling of "hors d'oeuvre" and just substituted a simpler "close enough, whatever" approximation. Not that "Ohdove" is the most natural-sounding name, mind you.)

Hirayuki posted:

No, but poo poo like this means I make drat sure it doesn't happen in any of the games I do translate.

Man, I know you said in the Run Button thread that you weren't in the driver's seat for the mistakes in the Silent Hill 3 Hard mode puzzles, but I wish someone had worked harder to wrest the controls and right that particular plane.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 9, 2015

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Did Mercus have nail polish glands in his cuticles, too? Or did he just have nail fungus?

(Completely unnecessary aside: Mercus's fingers and the space theme remind me of an odd puzzle published in GAMES Magazine (Will Shortz's former puzzle magazine) several years back entitled "A Severed Human Finger." In it, you were given an array of ten objects and tasked with picking the best one to give as a gift to a party of alien emissaries; among the candidates was, as the title indicates, a severed human finger. (I believe GAMES had a team of astronomers or NASA employees giving their opinions on the choices and deciding the "right" answer.) The severed finger was a bad choice not only because gifting severed body parts is just bad hostess manners, but because it might give the aliens the idea that humans could regenerate lost body parts, leading to all sorts of unfortunate wackiness. The right choice, it was deemed, was Van Gogh's "Starry Night," because it demonstrated that humanity had the capacity for artistic expression, which indicated high-level thought, as well as wonder; it also wouldn't give away much if any info about the status of our tech.

I told you this aside was unnecessary.)

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 11, 2015

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
One hour and twenty-seven minutes??

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

RoeCocoa posted:

It suddenly becomes interesting right around the eighty minute mark.

Oh, I was wondering more like why SGF thought he deserved to have this game inflicted on himself for so long. (That was indeed neat to see the original D2 trailer, though.)

On the latest Enemy Zero ep: did David get recast between E0 and D2, or did he just grow his hair out & add some dye? Did one of the digital actors throw a digital tantrum and get released from his contract?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
The skin tone of the corpse in Ronny's room seems to be considerably lighter than Ronny's skin tone in his photo in the crew member information.

Dunno about this game. Severed fingers aside, it seems more depressing rather than that special Eno brand of out-there weird. It seems like we can't be far from the end (I mean, most everyone's dead, right?), yet there doesn't seem to have been much actual development in the plot.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I believe it was Niggurath in his LP who mentioned that the spaceship is probably designed to look like a human heart. I would say that the "E0" logo is kinda-sorta-if you really squint modeled to resemble a human heart shape as well (ovoid shape with rectangles/tubes sticking out of one corner).

Didn't pick up before that Eno followed D with E (0). Wonder if D2 was originally planned to be titled F-something.

supergreatfriend posted:

I'm going to assume that the game didn't come with a big green dildo.

Why?

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Did I miss what the "You and the Void" option (punctuated by a picture of happy musical notes) was on the lower-right of the menu screen? Kenji Eno's friendly introduction to existentialism, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I'm confused about the status of David. When Laura pops the chip she took from David's head inside George's computer, George barges in, and I think Laura leaves the chip in his computer. Later, Kim gives Laura what she calls David's "memory chip". During the subsequent escape sequence, though, David states that he's coming to Laura from inside George's computer, and Laura believes him to be dead in her post-escape voice log. In the ending, though, David's consciousness is implied to be aboard the escape craft. Was David just beaming himself into George's computer from the shuttlecraft using futuristic wi-fi (presumably to access the ship's intercom system), or did WARP just decide to have the chip containing David's consciousness in two places at once?

(Also, about the possible etymology of "aki' mentioned way back: I don't know about other languages, but in Japanese, "aki" usually means "autumn." It can also, though, be used to signify "emptiness" - usually in compounds, but I imagine this was the most likely intended meaning, if WARP was indeed drawing from Japanese for the name of its cordiform ship. The emptiness of the human heart in our soulless mechanical future!)

I do like that Kim got to be a bit of a badass in the ending - it was unexpected, at least. I suppose that her busting in with a firearm to gun down her double in D2 was a callback to her military self here.

Thanks to SGF for another thorough LP. I think I liked D & D2 better - this had a little too much digital sadness for my liking - but you did a great job showing it off, and showcasing Kenji Eno's other games was a step beyond that's much appreciated.

• Locked thread