Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Maybe if Greeks didn't believe tax evasion was a basic human right this wouldn't have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Lufiron posted:

and that if the euro loses 10% of its value you just lost 10% of your wealth which is similar to just losing it outright

10% is nothing. QE made the euro drop by 30%+ already so another 10% to be rid of the Greeks forever is well worth it.
Besides most of what i consume are products from inside the EU anyway and won't get any more expensive.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Greece is what would happen if you let D&D run a country

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
so why on earth did the euro have to expand with the eu again

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

:siren: germans detected :siren:

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
*assumes the Mugging position*

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Finally the terrorists have been shown what unity means by the greek heroes. Do not worry President Hollande is already demanding more help for greece. A wave of freedon and justice will sweep trough europe. For example Ireland is already loving pissed that they gave in so easily to the terroristic demands of the evil capitalists and want to cut some of their debt as well. Comrades i hereby declare myself chief inquisitor of justice so we shall lay down the law of the street upon the rich, follow me! If you don't have money you have nothing to fear(or wear glasses). Merkel is behind this, the germans have invented austerity just so we cant have nice things.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 5, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

David Copperfield posted:

Economist Mark Blyth asked Gerhard Schroeder that question and he said it's because the greeks gave the world democracy.

There was nothing rational or sane about the whole currency expansion concept.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

varoufakis did nothing wrong

and the greeks made the right decision today

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

David Copperfield posted:

same reason they had to give out those subprime mortgage loans to poors in the US. it'd be racist NOT to. ;) ;)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bomb germany, force the survivors to marry gypsies

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Poor Germans.Everybody thinks it is their fault the Greeks do not know the value of a honest days work and would prefer to sip ouzo on the beach.

The brudervolk stands with you noble teutons.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

didn't everyone forgive Germany for damaging Europe irreversibly and not paying debts that they clearly owe a while back?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

same reason they had to give out those subprime mortgage loans to poors in the US. it'd be racist NOT to. ;) ;)

No they honestly thought home prices would never go down. It was supposed to be different this time!

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Greece rules.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

the most important people to trust in this situation is anyone who believes that transnational economic policy is directly analogous to managing one's own personal finances

these are the experts we need in difficult times

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Whorelord posted:

didn't everyone forgive Germany for damaging Europe irreversibly and not paying debts that they clearly owe a while back?

Sure did.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

FullLeatherJacket posted:

the most important people to trust in this situation is anyone who believes that transnational economic policy is directly analogous to managing one's own personal finances

hey I played Tropico a bunch of times

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
So it turns out not balancing your budget and spending into debt is a bad thing only worsened by KEEPING IT UP after someone bails you out twice then getting indignant when they ask for conditions this time around.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

lmao if your a german libertarian

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Lmao at bank water-carriers itt

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay we have no money! Let's celebrate/

Jesus loving christ.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Agag posted:

Greece rules.

the greeks own. they ain't payin poo poo back

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW
whatever happens, i'm rooting for Golden Dawn

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anchoress posted:

whatever happens, i'm rooting for Golden Dawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqYcPmBou0

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Maybe Greeks have inferior DNA? Just a thought, guys... I mean, considering how lazy and bad at managing their money they are.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Roy posted:

Maybe Greeks have inferior DNA? Just a thought, guys... I mean, considering how lazy and bad at managing their money they are.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxGP9TsR_Xc

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eric posted:

the greeks own. they ain't payin poo poo back

They aint buying food either.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/?module=BlogMain&action=Click%AEion=Header&pgtype=Blogs&version=Blog%20Post&contentCollection=Opinion

quote:

Tsipras and Syriza have won big in the referendum, strengthening their hand for whatever comes next. But they’re not the only winners: I would argue that Europe, and the European idea, just won big — at least in the sense of dodging a bullet.

I know that’s not how most people see it. But think of it this way: we have just witnessed Greece stand up to a truly vile campaign of bullying and intimidation, an attempt to scare the Greek public, not just into accepting creditor demands, but into getting rid of their government. It was a shameful moment in modern European history, and would have set a truly ugly precedent if it had succeeded.

But it didn’t. You don’t have to love Syriza, or believe that they know what they’re doing — it’s not clear that they do, although the troika has been even worse — to believe that European institutions have just been saved from their own worst instincts. If Greece had been forced into line by financial fear mongering, Europe would have sinned in a way that would sully its reputation for generations. Instead, it’s something we can, perhaps, eventually regard as an aberration.

And if Greece ends up exiting the euro? There’s actually a pretty good case for Grexit now — and in any case, democracy matters more than any currency arrangement.

Krugman is always right

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol the US wins again

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a creepy colon posted:

lol the US wins again

Remember how the powerful EU thought it could economically challenge the USA?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meanwhile in america, where you cant swing a cat w/o getting a job

:D

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
guys should we have turkey in the EU, it's important

please respond

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

a creepy colon posted:

That's not quite the good news you think it is given the nature of employment in America.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a creepy colon posted:

maybe even though the US response was horrible it actually did stimulus spending and didn't axe benefits like social security in the middle of the recession?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

10% is nothing. QE made the euro drop by 30%+ already so another 10% to be rid of the Greeks forever is well worth it.
Besides most of what i consume are products from inside the EU anyway and won't get any more expensive.

in links I've provided in this thread, the euro has dropped more than 10% in value since this whole Greek crisis started. that was just an example, could be worse or not once the dust settles

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

a creepy colon posted:

tbf most of the jobs are part time low paying poo poo

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

a creepy colon posted:

lol the US wins again

As comically terrible as the US politics often is, if some garbage tier state like Louisiana lost all its money and the Feds reacted by burning it down, forbidding it from using the dollar and kicking it out of the Union, most Americans would probably consider them to have done a bad job. Not so in Europe!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fargo Fukes posted:

As comically terrible as the US politics often is, if some garbage tier state like Louisiana lost all its money and the Feds reacted by burning it down, forbidding it from using the dollar and kicking it out of the Union, most Americans would probably consider them to have done a bad job. Not so in Europe!

well the EU was based around the hilarious concept of different sovereign states with the same currency and also the same central bank.

In a crisis situation why should one sovereign country sacrifice something to save a lesser one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

etalian posted:

sovereign country sacrifice something to save a lesser one?

Fixed the emphasis for you.

• Locked thread