Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
why would you loan money to someone you know can't pay it? and then you think well now you owe me money you're my slave and they're like nope lol peace out and now you're all like wtf you lazy bum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
euro is gonna take a hit if they leave, either you pay directly or you pay via lower spending power of the euro

either way you pay

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
and that if the euro loses 10% of its value you just lost 10% of your wealth which is similar to just losing it outright

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

how me a frog posted:

There is difference between writing off your security deposit because your roomate is a slob, and agreeing to pay his rent indefinitely because you're scared the landlord will find out said roomate has been running a jenkem ring from his room given the fact that he won't even agree to stop doing that poo poo because he considers your demand terrorism.

this would work if you also demanded that he clean it up himself instead of hitting up his parents for money to hire someone to clean (ie tax corporations)

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

how me a frog posted:

Lol if you think this is a possible scenario.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=USD&view=1Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=1Y

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

10% is nothing. QE made the euro drop by 30%+ already so another 10% to be rid of the Greeks forever is well worth it.
Besides most of what i consume are products from inside the EU anyway and won't get any more expensive.

in links I've provided in this thread, the euro has dropped more than 10% in value since this whole Greek crisis started. that was just an example, could be worse or not once the dust settles

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

etalian posted:

Maybe Greece could leave and join Putin's slav EU knockoff?

that's what is probably going to happen. the kremlin would do anything to undermine the eu and nato, I wouldn't be surprised if they used greece as a poster boy for what benefits other troubled nations if they decide to follow suit.

the real question is if this does happen, how much support is russia able to give

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 5, 2015

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

that maps ends with 2011 you got something a bit more updated?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Have you ever done taxes yourself? You know all those things like mortgage interest, having kids, student loan interest that you deduct from your salary before calculating what you owe? That's you reporting less than you make holy gently caress

no it's fine cuz that's mine I deserve it

greeks are subhuman and don't

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Jonad posted:

That's pretty disingenuous considering Picketty and everybody else knows the Germans will never actually see any of those 'profits' nor any of the money they loaned the Greeks.

no country ever truly pays off its debt, germany included

http://qz.com/339657/lets-just-admit-it-governments-never-really-pay-off-their-debts/

quote:

Of course, it’s not reasonable to expect creditors to immediately forgive all Greece’s debts. Nor is it reasonable to expect Greeks to stand by while a disastrous economic policy is dictated to them. But the most unreasonable thing of all would be expecting to see the debt repaid in full.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Bishop posted:

I like how greece's finance minister resigned as soon as the "no" vote he championed passed. Lol thanks for sticking it to the capitalist oppressors: I'm gonna go hide now while someone else figures out what to do

both Tsipras and the creditors wanted him gone. The point of the no vote is not to pull out of the eu but to get better terms at the negotiations. With varoufakis there, there was no chance of that happening because the creditors hated him

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/business/international/yanis-varoufakis-abruptly-resigns-as-greek-finance-minister.html

quote:

Mr. Varoufakis said in a statement on his website that he was stepping down because Greece’s creditors had made it clear that they did not want to negotiate any further with him.

“Soon after the announcement of the referendum results, I was made aware of a certain preference by some Eurogroup participants, and assorted ‘partners,’ for my … ‘absence’ from its meetings; an idea that the prime minister judged to be potentially helpful to him in reaching an agreement,” he said. “For this reason, I am leaving the Ministry of Finance today.”

but I have a feeling that the creditors are gonna want an even more austere and unworkable plan to punish Greece for the audacity of defaulting on its debts which will make their economy completely collapse

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 6, 2015

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Klyith posted:

Imagine here a picture of a big mansion with huge acreage of private land in a desirable area. Off in one corner there are a couple cows. That's a real thing that extremely rich people do in the USA so they can declare themselves a farm and pay vastly lower agricultural land taxes. Taxes are broken everywhere, greece is not all that unique in having bad tax dodges they need to fix.

I can't show you a picture though because extremely rich people don't let anyone take pictures of their poo poo.

I got you

http://www.thenation.com/article/tax-day-farms-owned-rich-provide-massive-tax-shelter/

quote:

For all those feeling the pinch this Tax Day, rest assured America’s wealthiest one percent have no idea what you’re going through. Not only have they shaved a projected collective $121 billion off their income taxes thanks to Bush’s tax cuts for the rich but, thanks to misuse of agricultural tax breaks, many will not end up paying their fair share of property taxes either.

Take Michael Dell, founder of Dell Computers and the second-richest Texan, who qualified for an agricultural property tax break on his sprawling 1,757-acre residential ranch in suburban Austin and saved over $1 million simply because his family and friends sometimes use the land as a private hunting preserve to shoot deer. Or take billionaire publisher Steve Forbes, who got more than a 90 percent property tax reduction on hundreds of acres of his multimillion-dollar estate in upscale Bedminister, New Jersey, just by putting a couple of cows out to pasture. They are not alone. All across the country, a huge number of America’s wealthiest are tapping into agricultural tax breaks—and none of them have to do any real farming to qualify.

Not only are agricultural tax breaks allowing wealthy landowners to shift their tax burden onto other less-affluent taxpayers but they are also helping bankrupt public schools, which derive the bulk of their funding from local property taxes.
[quote="Lufiron" post="44740326t6"]
no it's fine cuz that's mine I deserve it

greeks are subhuman and don't
[/quote]

Lufiron fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 6, 2015

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Because the Super rich manage to avoid paying taxes, let's have one third of the tax base not pay their taxes as well :confused:

the point is that if there's a way for someone to dodge taxes they will and it will create huge fiscal problems. what's happening in Greece with their taxes could happen to us. What's to stop someone from growing a couple corn stalks and argue that their suburban lot is now farmland?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Maybe farms shouldnt get a lower tax rate. Maybe all human beings should live on subsistence agriculture and subsidizing farmers to feed an unsustainable amount of people liiving crammed in cities is wrong and bad. Maybe apples should be $100 each. Ever think of that?

or maybe the ability to say what is farmland and what isn't should be based on assets and income. if most of your assets is related to the farm itself, and your income is primarily derived from it, hey you get a tax break

if you're a billionaire computer guy, not so much

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Can someone explain the reasoning behind all these countries becoming butt-buddies, tia

so elites can avoid exchange rates as a cost of doing business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

how me a frog posted:

Lol you think these evil capitalist can do whatever they want because they are greedy goblins who control the world but they can't kick Greece out because "there isn't a mechanism". loving lol.

they don't want to kick Greece out, they want to shackle them forever and ever with this debt and act as a reminder to other countries as to what happens if you don't do what we say

if they kick them out and somehow Greece rebounds without the eu and imf, what's to stop other countries from following suit? and austerity would be proven to be poo poo once and for all, since you have examples on both ends as to what happen (Iceland with their gently caress austerity stance and Greece with their forced austerity causing the final nail in their economic coffin)

• Locked thread