Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

greeks hope to keep yelling off the balcony until germans give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kick southern states out of EU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

"YOU DON'T HAVE THE TEN DOLLARS THAT YOU AGREED TO PAY ME, AND YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO PUNCH YOUR GRANDMOTHER IN THE FACE TO GET IT? gently caress YOU, I WILL BURN EVERYTHING DOWN INCLUDING MY OWN HOUSE INSTEAD OF WORKING OUT A NEW PLAN. "

Angela Merkel, the president of the country that invented nazis

maybe greeks just need to give her a few back rubs?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

in any part of the world the southern part ends up being lazier and dumber due to hot climate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

The Greeks should elect W if the Syriza dude resigns.

would make sense since both people are go at making promises they can't keep and scaring everyone else with irrational behavior

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lufiron posted:

why would you loan money to someone you know can't pay it? and then you think well now you owe me money you're my slave and they're like nope lol peace out and now you're all like wtf you lazy bum

most it was due to how with the whole EU and also ECB expansion loans to the greeks were seen as lower risk lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Fact or fiction?

maybe you should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Also check the GNP and unemployment rates for EU countries which tried forced austerity to cure the economy over the last few years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lufiron posted:

and that if the euro loses 10% of its value you just lost 10% of your wealth which is similar to just losing it outright

The thing the clever germans don't realize is defusing the crisis is actually the cheaper option in the long run than demanding they got every last cent back.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

Krugman called it.

just sayin'

the EU monetary concept is dumb since countries gave up a handy to fight economic slumps.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

so is greece still moving toward fascism?

well austerity made Tojo, Mussolini and Hitler successful

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

lol if greece's financial collapse spawns the next hitler just lol

instead of memorable mustache, Greek hitler will have amazing back hair

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Feta cheese to the EU

people yelling off the balcony and lovely landlords to other countries

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Looks like a 60% outcome for oxi, can't wait to see how this will strengthen clowntsirpas position. Also eagerly awaiting the agreement within 2 days he promised. Best start learning turkish if you have the misfortune of being greek.

On the other hand maybe a greek exit from the Euro will actually be better in the long range for both parties involved?

lolling at right wing types whom believe Greece must stay in the Euro and accepted a few generations of austerity cures.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

who knew that lending money to Watto would be a bad idea?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

David Copperfield posted:

so why on earth did the euro have to expand with the eu again

Economist Mark Blyth asked Gerhard Schroeder that question and he said it's because the greeks gave the world democracy.

There was nothing rational or sane about the whole currency expansion concept.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bomb germany, force the survivors to marry gypsies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anchoress posted:

whatever happens, i'm rooting for Golden Dawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqYcPmBou0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Roy posted:

Maybe Greeks have inferior DNA? Just a thought, guys... I mean, considering how lazy and bad at managing their money they are.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxGP9TsR_Xc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a creepy colon posted:

lol the US wins again

Remember how the powerful EU thought it could economically challenge the USA?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a creepy colon posted:

Meanwhile in america, where you cant swing a cat w/o getting a job

:D

maybe even though the US response was horrible it actually did stimulus spending and didn't axe benefits like social security in the middle of the recession?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fargo Fukes posted:

As comically terrible as the US politics often is, if some garbage tier state like Louisiana lost all its money and the Feds reacted by burning it down, forbidding it from using the dollar and kicking it out of the Union, most Americans would probably consider them to have done a bad job. Not so in Europe!

well the EU was based around the hilarious concept of different sovereign states with the same currency and also the same central bank.

In a crisis situation why should one sovereign country sacrifice something to save a lesser one?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fargo Fukes posted:

Maybe it was designed this way so different sovereign countries realised they were all interconnected and that harm to one would be harm to all, then once enlightened they would engage in works of mutual benefit and public good? I mean, they at least seem to have realised the "interconnected" part, but so far they're reacting to it by furiously sawing off their own legs.

This is enlightened perspective which doesn't work when you have Ferengi involved as the most influential state.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe Greece could leave and join Putin's slav EU knockoff?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

This photo is from negotiations in London in 1953, where Greece and ~20 other nations renegotiated the terms of West Germany's debts. They forgave about half of their debt, lowered the interest charged, and extended repayment time. It's now a case study in debt relief and economic recovery, and was in fact referred to as the German economic miracle. But of course it's impossible now because Greece is too lazy / unimportant / whatever, just make something up and get a talking head to repeat it often enough, doesn't matter

This was due to how the US saw a strong West Germany as a economic and military hedge against the Soviet Union.

In this case the Greeks really don't have any outside power to encourage similar haircuit relief among the creditor nations.

Lufiron posted:

that's what is probably going to happen. the kremlin would do anything to undermine the eu and nato, I wouldn't be surprised if they used greece as an poster boy for what benefits other troubled nations if they decide to follow suit.

the real question is if this does happen, how much support is russia able to give

Putin already sent out feelers saying he could provide the greeks with aid such as cheaper energy import rates, mainly a gently caress you the richer eurozone countries.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

So as the rest of the world doesn't need Greece to thrive, gently caress 'em? I though Europe was supposed to be a land of enlightened farts

It's more because Ferengi want to get paid at any cost even though in the long run it would damage their interests.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What's really funny is how there are now released documents from the US spying on Merkel that show she knew Greece would never be able to repay the debts

It's basically the same reasoning US banks used to give poor people high risk loans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fat Lowtax posted:

Golden Dubs & Subs

I like how Golden Dawn tries to sell the whole noble greek myth while their whole country falls apart and they can't even pay back loans.

The master race indeed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

Its almost like as dumb as Americans can be sometimes if you hand the average euro any topic with the slightest hint of nationalism they turn into drooling retards from the 1600s

Also don't mention gypsies, it makes makes the most bland north EU members turn into a bloodthirsty mob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Someone posted earlier about Iceland being all cool now. They are in the top 10 debtors to the IMF lol. With Angola and other fine nations.

Iceland has bigger problems such as how easily it is to accidentally gently caress your cousin thanks to the lack of immigration.

• Locked thread