Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

ipa is over now. bitter is done. its all sour now. chug that poo poo down and smile through the shudders

really i mostly just see IPAs in the craft sections. i thought sours were already el-passe too since they were most popular in 2009ish. i love sours though

ciders are definitely on the way out, they were super popular a year ago and now winding down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Skeleton Ape posted:

Good :mad:

I liked hoppy beers but then suddenly a few summers ago that made me a hipster?? Idk

Sours are gross, enjoy you handlebar mustache having weirdos
nah IPAs are still gunna be craft beer of choice because it's cheap and quick to produce. it doesn't make you a "hipster" to like them and never did, but it's just the most popular type right now and likely into the forseeable future for beer.

there's some other trends like ciders and such but those are still mostly just offshoot tandems. sours are def an acquired taste. i thought they tasted like lovely kombucha the first time i tried them but now i rather like them. pretty loving rare to find though. anderson valley had some pretty tasty ones.

i'd guess ~authentic carribean style rum~ is likely going to be spirit of choice but who knows.

and facial hair was soooo last year

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Drunk Nerds posted:

My friend brought some Pliny the Elder to 4th of July. Of the 200 IPA I've tasted and rated, it is fourth, so I was glad to see it again.
third is Stone Brewery 2014 anniversary ale
tied for first is Heady Topper and Stone Enjoy By
I grew up next to Russian River brewing company, Pliny the Elder is aight. They have a new one, Pliny the Younger that's also pretty good. I used to work almost next door to Lagunitas which imo is super overrated. but I went there a bunch after work and it's tolerable.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 6, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Drunk Nerds posted:

I grew up a few miles from LAgunitas, and since they changed their formula a few years ago to mass-produce, it's been incredibly undrinkable.
Except Hop Stoopid and their pale ale, but the standard IPA has gone from "pretty good" to "did you clean the mold out of your taps?"

Ah yeah. That makes sense. I dunno when they officially changed over but I was working at the SRJC Petaluma campus from about 2010-2012. It was OK then for something to drink with friends after work but I would have never sought it out.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 6, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I.C. posted:

What is a sour?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_beer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I.C. posted:

Is it really sour though? Or does it just taste gross?

It's not like eating the bottom of sour-skittles but yes there's usually a strong sour taste to it. It's sort of like Kombucha+Beer though that's not a fair comparison. The first time I had it I thought it was gross but then it grows on you a lot.

If you can ever find it, Anderson Valley has some good ones
https://avbc.com/blood-orange-gose/
https://avbc.com/the-kimmie-the-yink-the-holy-gose/

Rare Barrel here in Berkeley is amazing too but I don't think they sell it outside of the area.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Drunk Nerds posted:

Blood orange goose was loving crazy. They really walked the line in terms of how strong the taste was, but it came out GREAT

Sour in the Rye is amazing if it's available in your area.
Yeah sadly the stuff is out of season :( I met some of the brewers at a Whole Foods tasting and it was so good I bought 4 6-packs and I should have got more because now I can't get it

Never had the Sour in the Rye but sounds good. I haven''t seen it anywhere from what I can recall but I'll keep an eye out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Drunk Nerds posted:

Where do you live? I grew up in Novato but have been living in Southern California the last 10-15 years.

My video game clan (their hook is that they put drinking game mods into every steam game, and don't harass women, so its like the only clan with a lot of good looking women and cool people who drink) rated Sour in the Rye second overall in our 2014 annual beer tasting(Heady Topper wasfirst that year)
Ah, Marin-er.

Grew up near Healdsburg, worked in Santa Rosa and Petaluma for awhile. Now I'm over in Berkeley but I still go up that way to hit up Wildflour, parents, and breweries there pretty often. I see that's a SoCal brand so yeah I guess that explains why I haven't seen it but maybe something will carry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

grandpas drunk posted:

Can u ferment ejaculate (cum)

sake

• Locked thread