Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W2wtBc6Ls4

Welp here it is, There's no soundeffects, they didn't come out right and I wasn't going to record it again. Also I uploaded it with the vocal track when I meant the non-vocal. Don't care anymore, forever upset I couldn't get We Will Rock You to fit.

Pretty awesome duel, although it gave more reasons to think that Jersey isn't as good as the Noble Arms :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty awesome duel, although it gave more reasons to think that Jersey isn't as good as the Noble Arms :v:

Nah the flaw in that was that I'd used Pot of Duality instead of a different better card in the deck.

Jersey is still better than the Noble Arms.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So just to confirm because UTC is a weird thing to time people on. The "Come one, Come all, bring your decks to the Steam chat and duel people" thing is in 10 hours I'll go update the OP with that.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 10, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The flaw is that you aren't running other equip spells to capitalise on the Jersey. I know that its sub-optimal but its just so much fun when it works. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senerio posted:

Nah the flaw in that was that I'd used Pot of Duality instead of a different better card in the deck.

Jersey is still better than the Noble Arms.

How? The Jersey can't get past Destiny, and Mighty Slugger is only UA that can overcome Gwen in battle phase.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah and Blue-Eyes White Dragon dies to Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How? The Jersey can't get past Destiny, and Mighty Slugger is only UA that can overcome Gwen in battle phase.

Mostly because we're not comparing the deck in versus to each other, but in versus to everything else. And in general, one would take a 1000/1000 boost with no downsides and a second attack over the more specific but less overall strong effects of the Noble Arms.

And for U.A.s the Jersey does more for them as an equip than the spread around Arms do. And I do agree that NKs really just needed a proper Arms tutor, but that still doesn't change I'd take a Jersey over.... Gallatin or Alondite. Destiny, Caliburn, Gwen and Excaliburn are all fine... though the last has the problem of "Too balanced" in a world of busted arms.

EDIT: Lis made some support cards I loved.

Meliagrant especially would just... be everything the deck needs

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 10, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Onmi posted:

So just to confirm because UTC is a weird thing to time people on. The "Come one, Come all, bring your decks to the Steam chat and duel people" thing is in 10 hours I'll go update the OP with that.

Oh man, thanks for the warning, I thought it would be tomorrow night and I would have lost it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Mostly because we're not comparing the deck in versus to each other, but in versus to everything else. And in general, one would take a 1000/1000 boost with no downsides and a second attack over the more specific but less overall strong effects of the Noble Arms.

And for U.A.s the Jersey does more for them as an equip than the spread around Arms do. And I do agree that NKs really just needed a proper Arms tutor, but that still doesn't change I'd take a Jersey over.... Gallatin or Alondite. Destiny, Caliburn, Gwen and Excaliburn are all fine... though the last has the problem of "Too balanced" in a world of busted arms.

That's another thing with the Noble Knights, you have to master the side deck.

The arms itself are defined by the meta since you should tailored them accordingly. Arfeudutyr puts a great work against Nutellas and BA, Gallatin is your best choice when facing Shadolls or Qliphs.

The fact the deck is balanced is what allows it to be so flexible and able to adopt different strategies according to your needs. That's something pretty rare on Yugioh since most decks just have one strategy available.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

drat it why do you do this while my friend's trying to get me to play PoE :\.

Also unrelated I pulled this hero list from WCQ:

quote:

MAIN

2 Elemental HERO Bubbleman
3 Elemental HERO Shadow Mist
2 Goblindbergh
3 Heroic Challenger - Assault Halberd
2 Summoner Monk
1 Thunder King Rai-Oh
Monsters [13]
3 A Hero Lives
1 Book of Moon
3 Forbidden Lance
3 Mask Change
1 Mask Charge
1 Raigeki
3 Reinforcement of the Army
Spells [15]
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Call of the Haunted
2 Fiendish Chain
3 Mind Crush
1 Ring of Destruction
1 Solemn Warning
1 Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare
1 Vanity's Emptiness

EXTRA

1 Abyss Dweller
1 Cairngorgon, Antiluminescent Knight
1 Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Diamond Dire Wolf
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Gagaga Samurai
1 Heroic Champion - Excalibur
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Masked HERO Acid
1 Masked HERO Anki
2 Masked HERO Dark Law
1 Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
1 Number 80: Rhapsody in Berserk

What's the point of the Assault Halberds and how aggressively am I supposed to use A Hero Lives? Like is it worth eating 4k to get dark law out ASAP? Also if I go second do I risk them having MST when I search out Shadow Mist and go for a mask change on their standby or do I just mask change it.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 10, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zoness posted:

drat it why do you do this while my friend's trying to get me to play PoE :\.

Also unrelated I pulled this hero list from WCQ:

What's the point of the Assault Halberds and how aggressively am I supposed to use A Hero Lives? Like is it worth eating 4k to get dark law out ASAP? Also if I go second do I risk them having MST when I search out Shadow Mist and go for a mask change on their standby or do I just mask change it.

Assault Halberdier can tutor itself and it can special summon, which lets it work as Xyz material with Bubbleman.

Absurdly aggressive with AHL. In Yugioh you absolutely only care about having enough life left to trigger your abilities. Burn does not exist like it does in magic.so there's no fear of commiting life to board only to get bolted out of nowhere.

EDIT: As for Mask Change, you should do it on their turn just to get off Shadowmists Graveyard ability. But, in the case of "When do I" it all depends, you can use Mask Change to dodge targeted destruction or bounced effects, at the same time if it's something like Burning Abyss who needs the grave to go off, you go in ASAP and laugh.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here is how your first turn of playing heroes should go.

Did you go first?
-Get Dark Law out ASAP
-Do you have Shadow Mist in your hand? Summon her.
-Do you have her in the deck? RotA or AHL.
-Did you get mask change from her ability? DARK LAW
-Set whatever cards you do and don't need, watch your opponent banish all of their cards unless they raigeki or dark hole you.

Did you go second?
-Clear back row or front row as you deem necessary.
-Get Dark Law out with the above methods although you can attack so just go for 1k then mask change into Dark Law.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?
Why would you run warrior lady of the wasteland over assault halberd in U.A.s?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have to download YGOPro, since apparently Devpro crashed during the third game of a match, so there is the possibility that I might be a bit late.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lisandra_brave posted:

Why would you run warrior lady of the wasteland over assault halberd in U.A.s?

Availability, partly (I copied my physical deck up), and partly because I can activate Stadium's effect on the opponent's turn with it and have a 2000 ATK monster that can negate effects.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I swear to god if the next banlist happens and Dante and Cir are not unlimited, I am going to loving kill someone.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Twib messaged me on Steam and said there was some sort of Friday Night Card Games going down. I would love to spectate and stream the duels if nobody minds.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No objections, looks like. Get in the chat!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Today we are playing Card Games. I will be joining in. I have a stream. Click here to high five the sky with me.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Beef Chief posted:

I swear to god if the next banlist happens and Dante and Cir are not unlimited, I am going to loving kill someone.

You're going to jail

(both of those are likely, plus dante to 2 :ssh:)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
EDIT: Well gently caress.

Slur fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 11, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Koguma posted:

You're going to jail

(both of those are likely, plus dante to 2 :ssh:)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pendulum spellcasters are disgusting. Majispecters / Spellbooks / Dragodeus / Eccentric Archfiend made mincemeat out of me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dabir posted:

Pendulum spellcasters are disgusting. Majispecters / Spellbooks / Dragodeus / Eccentric Archfiend made mincemeat out of me.

Don't forget the Pendulum Magicians.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nope, not a one. That's something that demands its own deck I think, they wouldn't have done much for this guy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dabir posted:

Nope, not a one. That's something that demands its own deck I think, they wouldn't have done much for this guy.

Oh you mean the Deck TYPE of Pendulum Spellcasters.... huh, I didn't think that would be a thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This is a friendly reminder that Plant Princesses are super fun and super powerful.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
This is a friendly reminder that Sibyltricks is super fun to play and has one of the most unique playstyles I've ever encountered (which isn't saying much).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Onmi posted:

Absurdly aggressive with AHL. In Yugioh you absolutely only care about having enough life left to trigger your abilities. Burn does not exist like it does in magic.so there's no fear of commiting life to board only to get bolted out of nowhere.
Huh did Chain Burn get the axe?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Huh did Chain Burn get the axe?

No but it's a rogue deck and it's also the only deck of its kind. It's not like running against every deck.... except Red Eyes now, where you're risking getting burned after paying 4k

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Twib posted:

This is a friendly reminder that Sibyltricks is super fun to play and has one of the most unique playstyles I've ever encountered (which isn't saying much).

Do you have a decklist? I have a friend who wants to try it out.

Sibyls are an amazing flip engine though. Sibyldolls are hella.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So, what's Dexie doing in YGO today?

:getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

For someone who's bad at games (despite being a Judge in Magic), is there a sort of "what's going on" guide or something? Or some way to keep up with stuff? I, for some reason I can't explain, am considering downloading the programs in the OP, but I feel entirely lost.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013

Cabinet posted:

Do you have a decklist? I have a friend who wants to try it out.

Sibyls are an amazing flip engine though. Sibyldolls are hella.

Monsters:

2x Pot of Taboos
1x Crystalundine the Sibyl
1x Senju of the Thousand Hands
1x Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands
1x Arrowslyph the Sibyl
2x Ouijamorrigan the Sibyl
3x Coingonma the Sibyl
1x Summoner of Illusions
1x Petalelf the Sibyl
2x Ghostrick Jiangshi
1x Night Assailant
3x Ghostrick Doll
1x Ghostrick Lantern
2x Ghostrick Mary
2x Tarotary the Sibylla

Spells:

1x The Shallow Grave
2x Terraforming
2x Ritual of the Sibylla
2x Ghostrick Mansion

Traps:

3x Waboku
2x No Entry
2x Glare of the Black Cat
1x Ghostrick Go-Round
1x Wall of Revealing Light

Extra Deck

3x Gaia, the Universal Force
1x Phantom Fortress Enterblathnir
1x Number 9: Dyson Sphere
1x Ghostrick Angel of Mischief
1x Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction
1x Chronomaly Crystal Chrononaut
3x Ghostrick Alucard
1x Tri-Edge Levia
1x Number 48: Shadow Lich
2x Dante, Traveller of the Burning Abyss

Keep in mind that I threw this all together in like 20 minutes last night, so I'm not actually sure how consistent it is. Gaia, the Universal Force is what you go into with Summoner of Illusions, because it won't be destroyed by Summoner's effect on End Phase. Most of the XYZ monsters are generic Ran 3s I put in to try and have some semblance of a toolbox, but I haven't actually used them yet. Ghostrick Alucard is there to be S/T removal and a way to go into Angel of Mischief, whose sole job is to sit there and look pretty as she brings out Ghostrick Mansion.

The makeshift Ghostrick Engine I put in is there mainly for Rank 3 XYZ Summoning and face-down fodder. The real star of the show here is Ghostrick Doll, because it combines with Ouijamorrigan to wipe out your opponent's monsters every turn. Petalelf + Ouijamorrigan can do this too, and more safely, as Petalelf's effect is immediate, but Ghostrick Doll gets more Ghostricks onto the field. Also - note that if you're using Ghostrick Doll, you need to flip her face up first, and then flip up Ouijamorrigan.

The biggest weakness of this deck is the complete lack of mass removal. All I really have is Pot of Taboos, and that basically requires me to already have Tarotary on the field. If anybody has suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I haven't played this since like 2003 and wanted to get back into it. Since I'm starting from scratch, whats the best way to get a decent deck together?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Serperoth posted:

For someone who's bad at games (despite being a Judge in Magic), is there a sort of "what's going on" guide or something? Or some way to keep up with stuff? I, for some reason I can't explain, am considering downloading the programs in the OP, but I feel entirely lost.

The programs are fully automatic so you can learn by doing if you have the time to kill. Otherwise youtube or the DS games are your best bet.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

The programs are fully automatic so you can learn by doing if you have the time to kill. Otherwise youtube or the DS games are your best bet.

I was thinking more in meta terms, actually. YouTube seems like a decent option I suppose.

Although the programs being automatic is good, comparing it to Magic where your options are "kinda works, you gotta pay" (Magic Online) to "literally just has card images, deal with it" (Cockatrice). Not familiar enough with OCTOGN to comment on it though I could be wrong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I was thinking more in meta terms, actually. YouTube seems like a decent option I suppose.

Although the programs being automatic is good, comparing it to Magic where your options are "kinda works, you gotta pay" (Magic Online) to "literally just has card images, deal with it" (Cockatrice). Not familiar enough with OCTOGN to comment on it though I could be wrong.

In meta terms

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/

will show you what's being played. YGO Organization linked in the second post of the OP contains weekly updates of the decks played in the OCG.

The top decks right now are Nekroz (Rituals are back bitches!) Qliphorts (Pendulum degeneracy) and Burning Abyss (Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series)
In Japan the top decks are Masked HERO (Fusion/Xyz madness), Clownblade (Xyz Degeneracy) and Nekroz (Because it's eternal until inevitably all its key cards are banned)

EDIT: Also seriously check out Forge and XMage, both are automated simulators of M:TG though with limited online components for now

Onmi fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 11, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Onmi posted:

In meta terms

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/

will show you what's being played. YGO Organization linked in the second post of the OP contains weekly updates of the decks played in the OCG.

The top decks right now are Nekroz (Rituals are back bitches!) Qliphorts (Pendulum degeneracy) and Burning Abyss (Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series)
In Japan the top decks are Masked HERO (Fusion/Xyz madness), Clownblade (Xyz Degeneracy) and Nekroz (Because it's eternal until inevitably all its key cards are banned)

On a whim, Qliphorts and the HERO thing look the most interesting ones, just on hearing about it. Thanks for the help, I think I'll download a program and see if I can get some goon games in if I go for it. :)

VV: Oh yeah I'm not asking to tryhard, just to get a sense of how stuff plays and interacts. Going to watch the video tomorrow I think, see if that helps.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Serperoth posted:

On a whim, Qliphorts and the HERO thing look the most interesting ones, just on hearing about it. Thanks for the help, I think I'll download a program and see if I can get some goon games in if I go for it. :)

Keep in mind, most Goons don't tend to play the Meta, unless you're Slur. And most decks that aren't "The top decks" can still be played strong and consistently. But to give yourself a start, HERO is an interesting place to look, if only because it's been running since like 2006, and it started off mostly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-l0dFo6f0

This is interesting to watch to see two of the top decks of the past clash at the time of their strengths

• Locked thread