Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

OP, can I ask your opinion on Yanukovych? You mentioned Euromaidan several times and how it turned violent, but the outcome of the protests seem very much a product of the government. From my understanding, the violent crackdown on demonstrators on 30 November and 11 December turned a pro-European Union movement into an anti-Yanukovych revolution.

I've also heard a lot of coverage recently about life in Donetsk and other eastern cities in Ukraine. Most of this coverage centers on how very few people in these rebel-held cities want separation from Ukraine, or the obliteration of the Ukrainian language and culture by separatists. Can you comment on either of these issues.

I would also appreciate your thoughts on Putin's opposition. Do you feel that the Russian government's recent actions in Crimea have squandered the potential for greater cooperation in the near abroad? Do you understand why some countries in Eastern Europe distrust the Russian government?

I suspect that I strongly disagree with you on most everything, but appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

HoratioRash posted:

Yanik's an idiot. He could have dispersed them so easily when it started... Raid off the instigators and force units. Instead, he tried to draw it out, refusing to escalate. The first violence started by maidan degenerates. Molotovs are not a tool of peace and friendship. Furthermore, Yanik's conveniently agreed to their terms, signing the eu association, withdrawing police, whole one day before the government was deposed. Guess him agreeing wasn't in their plans, huh.

Pardon..? Yanukovych did try to disperse the protestors, violently and using the Berkut while the movement was still in its nascent stage. His actions only intensified the protests and broadened its base of supporters. The regular crackdowns that occurred afterward only worsened matters. You cite Yanukovych signing the Association Agreement before being deposed as a sign of the movement's illegitimacy, but the protests had long ceased to be about the European Union. By February, the single motivating force behind the Maidan was, "remove this man who is slaughtering our children." He was unpopular before the protests and despised afterward.

Can you point to the "first violence [that was] started by maidan degenerates?"

HoratioRash posted:

Those are opinionated pieces with no basis in reality other than author's wishes and whatever party line they're drawing right now.

If you dislike those articles, how about a poll from the Baltic Surveys/Gallup showing very low support for secession (see page 47)?

How about a study from the Institute of Social Research and Political Analysis that shows 65.7 percent of Dotensk residents favor living in Ukraine?

How about this article, about a poll showing 11.5% of surveyed citizens saying that Donbas should not be part of Ukraine?

HoratioRash posted:

I do not feel we require greater cooperation with european countries anymore. Nor do I feel my country needs trust of european countries, especially that of the baltics.

Why should Russia retreat into its hovel and destroy good relations with its neighbors? What benefit can it bring?

HoratioRash posted:

Current opposition, unfortunately, never got further than "gently caress Putin, he's to blame for everything!". Their whole program is centered around having Putin's out. No real plans for anything else. And it was like that since he's got in power.

I sadly have to agree with you there. :-(

What would you look for in a counter to Putin? Are there any people in Russia today that you would be willing to support?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot: Given your reasons for fighting, that the UAF engaged in "systematic torture, mass executions and deliberate war crimes," can I assume that you support Kosovo's independence?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread