Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
We use all three sets interchangeably for PBP, and I intend to do the same at the table when my copies of War Remastered and Fate arrive.

As for expansions, Light and Shadow is largely just an expanded version of the EX/ALMIGHTY variant from Devastation, which we've played with here. It's not actually very good for many-vs-1 games like advertised.

I've never seen a Strikers or Armory game myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
I am ready to run a match if anyone wants to play.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Dire Wombat posted:

I am ready to run a match if anyone wants to play.

I'm game to play one. Might be a bit slower than usual, though. Currently in perpetual work mode.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

We use all three sets interchangeably for PBP, and I intend to do the same at the table when my copies of War Remastered and Fate arrive.

As for expansions, Light and Shadow is largely just an expanded version of the EX/ALMIGHTY variant from Devastation, which we've played with here. It's not actually very good for many-vs-1 games like advertised.

I've never seen a Strikers or Armory game myself.

Thanks. So if you don't mind what are the particular reasons to use each base set? Any big differences that would lead to advantages for certain playstyles?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Cerepol posted:

Thanks. So if you don't mind what are the particular reasons to use each base set? Any big differences that would lead to advantages for certain playstyles?

The main reason I can see is to mix things up. Once you've done a lot of fights with the normal bases and have things down, using a different set of bases is an interesting thing to adapt to and spawns new strategies you wouldn't otherwise have to consider.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

...ohh, I think I misunderstood the question. By "base sets,". I assumed you meant War, Devastation, and Fate. Not the sets of different bases (regular, beta, delta, ex, almighty, etc).

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
The default bases are the ones the fighters are actually balanced around. Beta bases are significantly less balanced but probably also more interesting - the Dash variant especially, as it involves actual decision-making rather than just being a panic button for you to mash. No idea what Delta is. EX and Almighty are basically there if you want to play around with multiple fighters teaming up against one super-strong fighter - if you're a KoF or Skullgirls fan, you may get a kick out of this. IMO, EX/Almighty aren't particularly balanced either and only good for a couple novelty matches. To each their own of course, though, and it never hurts to try it out!

If you're really looking for a variant play mode, pick up Strikers! It's quite a lot of fun, adds a new dimension to the game without messing up the carefully balanced system too much, and is basically the only way to play Tag Mode IMHO.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Wol posted:

No idea what Delta is.

They come in Armory, I think? I haven't picked it up.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Wol posted:

If you're really looking for a variant play mode, pick up Strikers! It's quite a lot of fun, adds a new dimension to the game without messing up the carefully balanced system too much, and is basically the only way to play Tag Mode IMHO.

It was mostly that I have DoI but I played a few games on TTS which has all the sets and all the expansions addons.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Gutter Owl posted:

They come in Armory, I think? I haven't picked it up.

Yeah, they're the new set that comes with Armoury. The wiki has them.

The big issue is that the Burst replacement, Sweep, is straight up the best base on account of every one of them being range 1 and Sweep having "Attacks at range 1 do not hit".

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Saguaro PI posted:

Yeah, they're the new set that comes with Armoury. The wiki has them.

The big issue is that the Burst replacement, Sweep, is straight up the best base on account of every one of them being range 1 and Sweep having "Attacks at range 1 do not hit".

And it has base power 4, lmao. Not sure why he thought that was a good idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The wiki says they're (intended to be) balanced against the other bases, I assume you want to use them when you want to emulate an exclusively close range character to fight the other bases.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah, do both characters need to use the same bases? I don't think they do but I'm too lazy to look right now.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So is there any nice way to play online in realtime other than TTS?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Cerepol posted:

So is there any nice way to play online in realtime other than TTS?

Presently, no. L99 is working on BattleCON online, and plans to launch the kickstarter in the next month or two, once they finish up with War Remastered and Pixel Tactics fulfillment.

Aside: Dire, you still want to run a game, cuz I'm still interested in playing one.

And Acting Power, have you got that newbie fight up and running yet?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Sorry about that. Other stuff got in the way. It's up now. Cerepol, Ldsity, send me your Discards and Finisher whenever you're ready. :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still need to beat the tar out of Wol for insinuating that Cadenza is not top-tier. :colbert:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I still need to beat the tar out of Wol for insinuating that Cadenza is not top-tier. :colbert:

If you don't mind potentially slow updates while I figure it out, I can mod this.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Gutter Owl posted:

Presently, no. L99 is working on BattleCON online, and plans to launch the kickstarter in the next month or two, once they finish up with War Remastered and Pixel Tactics fulfillment.

Aside: Dire, you still want to run a game, cuz I'm still interested in playing one.

And Acting Power, have you got that newbie fight up and running yet?

I'm still ready, but we need another player. Anyone up for it?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dire Wombat posted:

I'm still ready, but we need another player. Anyone up for it?

Dare I get into 2 games? If you can't find anyone else I'll do it. My enthusiasm is still fresh as I've only recently started.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Shadow225 posted:

If you don't mind potentially slow updates while I figure it out, I can mod this.

Alright alright alright. It'd be pretty unsportsmanlike of me to choose a character while already knowing who my opponent is playing, so roll me a random please!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If a spot was still available in a match, I'll fill it.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

Cerepol posted:

Dare I get into 2 games? If you can't find anyone else I'll do it. My enthusiasm is still fresh as I've only recently started.

Great! Gutter Owl and Cerepol, PM me your character choices.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I don't suppose Pixel Tactics versions of Lymn and Thessala Three are lurking behind a corner somewhere? I decided to collect all the Pixel Tactics sprites of Battlecon characters into one place for easy use, and those were the only two I couldn't find.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wol, don't go totally random. Pick one of your best characters.

I don't want you to have any excuses when I wipe the floor with you. :getin:

Edit Honestly, I think my favorite thing about Cadenza is how deeply it embodies the old saying "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Edit 2 In this extended metaphor, Grapnel is the nail-pulling end of the hammer.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 14, 2015

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Wol posted:

I don't suppose Pixel Tactics versions of Lymn and Thessala Three are lurking behind a corner somewhere? I decided to collect all the Pixel Tactics sprites of Battlecon characters into one place for easy use, and those were the only two I couldn't find.

They're in two of the mini sets, I believe.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Saguaro PI posted:

They're in two of the mini sets, I believe.

Oh thank goodness. I was not looking forward to having to make a Lymn sprite.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wol, don't go totally random. Pick one of your best characters.

You get what you ask for. I choose gun elf Rukyuk.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Wol posted:

No, you were right the first time.

Rukyuk's gun kata is serious poo poo. In Willat, folks who aren't magic users are treated as second-class citizens. Rukyuk was good enough to become a government operative in this society (who are usually cybernetic sharpshooters, the T-1000 or the Colour out of Space) and was the handpicked agent of the city's head magister.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

Thread is up!

I think this is the first game featuring Jager alone on SA. It'll be interesting to see if he's as strong as predicted, even in the hands of a new player.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
I think a player of Gutter Owl's calibre is going to be an unholy terror on Alumis, but we'll see! Jager certainly doesn't lack for tools.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Wol posted:

Oh thank goodness. I was not looking forward to having to make a Lymn sprite.

That's really funny. He's one of the three I was going to pick for you. I'll try to get everything up tonight.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I've been playing this slightly weekly this whole time. I thought the discards were face down. Guess that's a bit of memory work I accidentally added to this game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Poison Mushroom versus Wol is up.

I'll probably have some questions about formatting and such, but these two guys are fairly straight forward so I should be good.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I'm thinking about taking advantage of Amazon Prime day tomorrow and picking up enough of these to store characters. How many are we up to, again, including Devastation, the War rerelease, Fate, and promos?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I believe 68, including the promos. Be warned that you will need a few of the 50 count boxes to fit some comfortably, and if you care about sleeving cards then you will probably need perfect fits, which are expensive.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I believe 68, including the promos. Be warned that you will need a few of the 50 count boxes to fit some comfortably, and if you care about sleeving cards then you will probably need perfect fits, which are expensive.

Way more.

58 canon fighters

5 bosses (including promo boss Ramos)

Borneo
Juto
Anath Adrasteia
Evil Hikaru
Boris Rumaldi

Bridj
VG Gal Iris
Mark.PTO
Legacy
Claus & Wyndhal
Ernie the Geek
Danny the Sinner
Robert the Saint
Takeshi Kamikaze
Lucius
Iskra Brimstone
Prince Elien
Vincent Gray
Bruce Lee
Nehtali
Raederick Blackforge
Eliza

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Gutter Owl posted:

Boris Rumaldi

Has he actually been released yet?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Not yet. But he's going to be the unlockable character for Fate, like Anath and Evil Hikaru, so packing solutions should probably account for him.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Gutter Owl posted:

Not yet. But he's going to be the unlockable character for Fate, like Anath and Evil Hikaru, so packing solutions should probably account for him.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning he was going to be Fate's secret character, I just want him noooooooooooow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is there any way to get the promos now? I missed all of the kickstarters, so I missed out on all of them. I tried emailing Brad, but he said they were out of stock. I wouldn't even be opposed to printing them out if I had the card images... *cough cough*