Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Saguaro PI posted:

Another indication backing was a great idea. Congrats GO and Fnorder on your placings.

Any of you lucky Gencon folk get to check out Exceed? Any other exciting news?

Seconding both of these. Congrats on your high placements guys. Hope you got something cool for doing so well. Curious about any potential early looks at Exceed.

Also wondering if those Red Horizon Promos for BattleCon ever materialized. Been curious about those for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Well, now the Draft for the Exceed Kickstarter is up.

Current draft has 1 set of 4 Characters at $25, 2 sets of 4 at $50, all 4 sets at $80, and all 4 + a Playmat for $100. Extra Characters seem to be for just the Complete and Ultimate tiers ($80/$100) at the moment.

Current planned stretch goals are some bonus UFS Cards included in Exceed, and 4 extra Characters: Super Skull Man 33, Sasha, Allahra & Syrithe (probably including Omniel in an Ultra Attack or as their Exceed Mode), and Sevastian. (Links are to their UFS Character Cards)

I have a feeling that L99 can probably drop the UFS Cards Stretch Goal and not suffer any real impact because outside of people like me (who already know of Red Horizon/actually play UFS), almost nobody will actually care about those. I also hope that the project doesn't fail just because they're using Red Horizon and not their own World of Indines first.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

S.J. posted:

Has UFS even managed to come out with a full set since Jasco bought them, like, two years ago or so? I don't think they have.

Yes they have. 7 Booster Sets and two Tin Mini-Sets.

I've actually been thinking of putting a UFS thread together. Just need to take the time just write one up.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

S.J. posted:

Have they fixed the terrible card layout yet? :v:

Honest question, what about the card layout do you think is terrible?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Resident UFS player chiming in.

Personally, I wouldn't even try to attempt to defend the female character designs for Red Horizon. Hell, I'm also in the boat of thinking it goes too far at times. I'd certainly love to see less Genzoman art used as a whole, but it seems like he'll be around for a while thanks to Heidi's art (She comes out in UFS when the next Red Horizon set cones out).

When it comes to UFS selling well, that depends on what you consider "well".

Jasco IS doing quite well with the game right now, and they're even completely out of stock of some product. To the point where the next set's (Megaman Set 3) print run will likely be roughly 3x the size of the previous set's run. A good amount of their remaining Megaman stock (Tins and Starter Decks) has actually been bought by Barnes & Noble for in store sale, with some of the Darkstalkers stuff also being bought by them and sold online.

When it comes to Red Horizon specifically, it isn't selling. But that's due to the existing Red Horizon sets not being legal in Standard, and the new RH set isn't even out yet. That's likely going to come out in the coming summer. On top of that though, they've also got to determine when they release Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Cowboy Bebop. Along with working on the Indines mini?-set. All of those are slated to come out by the end of 2016, so Red Horizon will never be the only thing going for the game.

So, yeah, a good chunk does come from the licenses they acquire, and not specifically from Red Horizon. Hell, Red Horizon is only the second time an actual original IP has been used for UFS, and the first time one has been used for more than a single set.

All said, don't be mad at Brad for wanting to use something that isn't Indines for Exceed. I believe he was offered by Jasco to use Red Horizon without having to deal with proving to licensors there's a market to be able to use something else. Feel free to dislike the female character designs for Red Horizon though. They've been around for a while now, and likely won't change too much.

All I can hope for is less Genzoman in the future.

And now I return to just lurking this thread until I decide to actually PLAY more BattleCon because I've literally only played ONE character so far, Gerard.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Shadow225 posted:

There are like 5 characters available for PnP free legally, along with an entire thread of people who will play you via PbP, Skype, TTS, or LackeyCCG. Jump on the train friend.

Oh, believe me, I know. I have been reading the thread since at least a while into the last thread, so all the PbPs and Final Boss title "arguments" are not lost on me. Especially that Tanis/Irialandaraydayamorella..."match". So. Much. NOTHING HAPPENING. With the handful of actual hits and the whole ending of the 2nd "Round"

Also, that was by memory. So, could someone tell me how close/far off I was on spelling Iri's full ridiculous name?

Right now's just not that good for me due to recovering from an eye muscle surgery. All the fine text reading and all. Hell, I was even considering entering RHTV, but again, I've only played one character the one time I actually played with someone at a store. That said, I did enjoy using Gerard.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

I thought you guys might be interested in this. Maybe not though. If not, I'll stop mentioning it.

So, I may have mentioned in a previous post about UFS when Red Horizon was brought up here due to Exceed that there would be an Indines Mini-Set of some sort. Well, Brad was on Total Justice Gaming (a Video Podcast primarily focusing on UFS hosted by some of it's players) once again tonight to talk Indines, but also to spoil the 8 Characters that will be in the upcoming Indines Mini-Set: Cadumbza Cadenza, Eligor, Hikaru, Khadath Runika, Shekthur, Tatsumi, and Voco.

Eligor, Hikaru, Khadath and Shekthur will get a full lineup of support cards, including their own Attacks. While Cadenza, Runika, Tatsumi, and Voco will just be included as Character Cards to build decks around.

The mock-ups of the characters can be seen here. The Hand Size, Health, Resources, and abilities of each Character are the actual ones they will have when released. They just made mock-ups so there was something more to look at besides a piece of art and a block of text. The actual cards will look much better, especially with properly sized artwork.

The mini-set will also be a fixed box release that should come out in late January, or in February.

Don't worry, I'll shut up about UFS in here after the Indines mini-set comes out. Or sooner if nobody really cares. Honestly, if most of you don't really care about it, I'll stop. Just say so.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Looks like I've been summoned again.

Yes, I get it. With so many different LCGs that are actually good, nobody wants to give a new (to them) CCG a try because all Non-Fixed games are poo poo, expensive, etc.

Anyways, this post will likely seem biased seeing as how I do play UFS and actually run events for it in my area as I always try to grow the player base as best I can.

As ARB said, it's an interesting system where you're always using your deck to play the cards you want to, as well as your effect base/resource, Foundations. Pretty much all current players that were around during the Sabretooth era will agree that it was terribly unbalanced and boiled down to "get your stupid combo live and likely OHKO".

Jasco has done MUCH better with card design than Sabretooth did, as well as Fantasy Flight did. Many cards made nowadays are playable with only a handful of clunkers that may serve no purpose.

That said, the Indines set is fairly simple. There are a total of 4 Turbo Decks (41 Card Decks, 40 + Character), and each one comes with a pre-determined 2nd character that can also use that Turbo Deck. There are also 18 random Rares out of a pool of around 35 in each box, bringing each to 60 Cards in all. If you buy one of each character's Deck, you'll get 72 Rares in addition to the 4 complete Turbo Decks. If you buy a full display, you get two of each deck, and 144 Rares, which will bring you close to a full playset (four) of each Rare, in addition to a full playset of each card in the Turbo Decks.

You can just buy one of each deck, not modify them, and use them as is just to play the game that way with friends without getting into the game fully as well as enjoying all the cool new art. You could also buy a display and build a full Standard deck (60 Card minimum, including Character) for any of the characters using the Turbo Deck cards as well as the Rares.

Also, yeah, while Jasco isn't the best company, they're also not a big one. On top of that, any new games (Universal Tactics) aren't being designed directly in house now. Jasco's still publishing them, but this is being done so they can keep their focus on UFS so another Mega Man Board Game situation doesn't happen again.

Honestly though, it's just a game I enjoy playing, and would love to see thrive. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them as best I can.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Provided they had the manpower to manage it and run it smoothly, yes.

That said, they are moving Nationals out of GenCon this year (and probably going forward) for a very fair reason: The fact that Nationals ends up taking up almost all of the participants' time at GenCon (Standard, Extended, and Top Cuts for both) when there's so much more to experience. Not to mention the high costs paid just getting to GenCon, compared to the costs of getting to, and participating at Worlds earlier in the year.

Manpower being split between the booth and the tournament could also be another part of it.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

The Journey Fraternity posted:

I may have mentioned it in some other thread but Jasco is literally just a brick and mortar in Lubbock TX that opened as an excuse for its owner to be able to paint Warhams.

Was. Past tense. They did start as just a store, don't know if the original store is still there. But their offices are now over in Las Vegas, which is also where UFS Worlds is being held now.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Just going to clear this up for ARB real quick because, yeah, Red Horizon art is legit polarizing and I am not going to attempt to defend something I wouldn't anyways and "fight" a losing battle.

(Seriously, I would not defend the artistic choices for Eva, Miska, Lily, etc. at all. I would also love to never see Genzoman art in UFS again [or at least his female art], but that's just a player's dream.)

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was eyeballing getting a box of World of Indines UFS from Jasco Games when I was at Origins, but the fact that rares (or, I guess, "non-fixed cards"?) are randomized kept me away. I don't have patience to gamble on cardboard anymore, yeesh.

Here's how it works straight up. Each Turbo Deck box has the 41 Card Turbo Deck, the 2nd Character, and 18 Rares. There is a pool of 30 it pulls from. So, each deck box comes with one each of over half the Rares. One full display will come with 128 Rares.

You may or may not get a full set (4) of each Rare, but it's a case of potentially only missing a few playsets. And each one would probably be just one off a full set.

I bought a display and a half (to leave the 3rd deck unmodified for demo purposes), and in the end, I only had two or three Rares with an exact 4 copies. So, the margin does exist, but it's not completely terrible.

The 31st Rare, World of Indines (the card), is the Box Topper, so you get one with each Display. At least if you feel you want a set of those, they're not that much from the stores that sell UFS singles (around $3 a pop). The other Rares are all also priced at around 75 Cents each (provided they're in stock) due to flat rarity to help people finish playsets.

P.S.: The card A World Lost to Time is actually banned. Mostly due to a janky-rear end error that they didn't get fixed in time for printing. Sadly, it wasn't pulled from the initial batch and can still be pulled from the Rare Pool. Although, even after deciphering it's intended effect, it's still weird, and not many players I know like it.

Anyways, it is nice to see that Exceed as a game does seem to be pretty good. I also hope L99 does more with it in the future, mostly so it isn't just tied to Red Horizon and eternally doomed to the (legitimate) art hatred/etc. that comes from the female characters.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Hi, it's me again, that UFS guy. Just wanted to let you guys know that Jasco and Level 99 are doing another thing together. Now, don't worry, it has nothing to do with Red Horizon. It's also not more Indines UFS stuff.

They're actually doing Mega Man Pixel Tactics. There's going to be a Kickstarter launching for it fairly soon, and there will be two boxes for this. A Mega Man box with Robot Masters from MM 1-3, and a Proto Man box with Robot Masters from MM 4-6.

Just found out about this just a little while ago, and thought I'd let you guys know if any of you may be interested.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

PJOmega posted:

Stop, stop, I can only get so erect.

Seriously though, what's the funding level required for X and Zero editions?

Unless the "bigger surprise" they're teasing if they break all the stretch goals is "we have the license for Mega Man X, and these Promos will be our first MMX release", then the funding level for that is getting Capcom to give Jasco the Mega Man X license.

The major thing here is that Capcom treats each separate Mega Man series as it's own license. So, the Classic series is it's own license. The entirety of X is it's own license, as is .EXE/Battle Network, the Zero series, Legends, etc.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Yeah, you can check out the draft, and the actual Kickstarter when it goes live here.

Also, yeah, the stretch goal characters are primarily the Robot Masters from MM 9 and 10, along with Ballade, Punk, maybe Quint (hard to tell from that sillouette), and Bass & Treble at the very end.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Shadow225 posted:

My question is how does Jasco keep landing high profile licenses like Megaman, Street Fighter, and Cowboy Bebop. Good games with those themes would make me salivate. Instead the MEgaman game is apparently trash, and the UFS game(s) are so seldomly played I literally haven't heard anything about them.

Mega Man was really the first major license they picked up, and getting Street Fighter was mostly due to the success of the Mega Man Board Game Kickstarter.

Now, them getting Cowboy Bebop, Mortal Kombat, and Dragon Ball Z (even if DBZ is pretty much just for a minis game), I have no real idea. Everyone was surprised when this batch of licenses was revealed/announced.

As for the fact that people never really hear about UFS, well, the CCG market IS kinda saturated at this point. Not to mention that all of the major games have an actual amount of marketing behind them and are from big companies. Jasco and UFS don't have any of that going for them. Almost all advertising for the game tends to be the word of mouth type. With it mostly being the Scouts and Players trying to grow their own local scene and/or trying to start one from scratch.

EDIT: Decided to just forego the long winded post that wasn't really needed and replace it with something more to the point.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 24, 2016

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Gladly.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

S.J. posted:

Also they let their designers play in all of their tournaments and are famous for having them win said tournaments.

They've actually stopped that quite some time back. Employees can't enter PTCs, Nationals, or Worlds anymore, and haven't been able to for quite a while now.

UFS is fine as a game, I haven't played the little Top Gun game they did, and yeah, the Megaman Board Game may not be the best, but it was an earlier design attempt.

Honestly, the only real issue (that I can see at least) at this point is really their original female character designs, which I also won't defend.

I get that you can't please everyone, and many will never change their mind/opinion, but I personally still want to see them succeed and see UFS grow.

...as per usual, I'll just shut up now.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

S.J. posted:

I want Jasco to burn in a loving dumpster fire where it belongs and sell the rights to UFS back to FFG so they can make an LCG out of it. I'm a little biased because their local rep is a genuine piece of poo poo and creepy dude.

Okay, yeah, I can understand that bias. You do mean a local person trying to promote the game, or do you mean Jasco's rep that talks to local stores? Honest question.

But yeah, even if the former was to happen, I highly doubt it would.

I wouldn't be surprised if back when they had the rights after the Sabertooth days, they'd rather have just done nothing with it. But I forget what they actually got from that package deal besides UFS, so I can't say one way or another.

But I guess we'll never know. I mean, I'd also appreciate a switch to a Living Card Game model, but it's sadly unlikely to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Hmm. Could be that they're just a Scout (volunteer that runs local events/tries to promote the game), unless you happen to be in Vegas since that's where their HQ is. Since, speaking as another Scout, we aren't actually Jasco employees.

Honestly sucks when one of the people trying to grow a game's scene (any game) is a shithead.