Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Retro Access posted:

I went in blind and we were just making fun of it the whole way through.

"Why is she allowed to take her dog to school?"

- "Because it's moe."

"She wouldn't be allowed to wear that stupid hat either."

- "She could wear a whole fursuit if enough people watching thought it was moe enough."

Ten minutes later:

"What in the actual gently caress?"

Don't ask me why we were watching it, we can't stand moe stuff. I honestly don't really know. I think my husband was drunk, that might explain it. Plus, no stupid fan service or incest made us turn it off so somehow we got through it. I think maybe we were waiting for the real reason why they were allowed to do all that stuff at school, and I guess we got it.

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Does the manga ever explain what caused the outbreak in the first place?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Hadaka Apron posted:

I don't think it has yet. But its implied it was manmade in some fashion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gawain The Blind posted:

I like the stuff in the background. Also, a rewatch changes a bunch of things in the first episode, like the uncomfortable looks from the younger girl.

:stare:

Holy poo poo I totally missed it. That is brilliant.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

"hardtack is yummy... it tastes like survival!' This actually has a chance of being good...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was looking forward to this show since I first heard of it and its premise a few weeks ago. I'm digging it so far, it'll be interesting to see just how far Yuki is willing to go to maintain her delusion.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hadaka Apron posted:

it was me

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Oh, so it was AIDS then?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Oh, so it was AIDS then?

AIDS was created by the US government to kill black people.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i want more taroumaru, and for him to not die

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I marathoned the manga last night, and based on the first episode they've really moved the timing of things around quite a bit, at least more than most animes which tend to take the first 1-2 issues of the manga and use them mostly unmodified. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes down.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow holy poo poo, I went into this basically blind and I'm glad I did. Hope this will be good, that first episode was masterful.

Will write more but I'm in my phone in bed. Tomorrow!

e: also 10/10 op

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
just finished the first episode and i have like, this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. i think this is fear.

i'm not sure if i want to keep watching

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is a series of candy-coated despair. Keep that in mind.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
actually poo poo, this despair in my chest is not going away, this is why i do not watch zombie animes. what're some good actually-for-real anime moeblob shows so i can be bored into happiness? i've heard good things about non non biyori

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

alcharagia posted:

actually poo poo, this despair in my chest is not going away, this is why i do not watch zombie animes. what're some good actually-for-real anime moeblob shows so i can be bored into happiness? i've heard good things about non non biyori

yes, you should watch that, I forget if it was the thread title or a post in the thread but 'it is basically chamomile tea in anime form' is very true.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

alcharagia posted:

I've heard good things about Madoka. Cute magical girls with a cute mascot character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

pointlessone posted:

I've heard good things about Madoka. Cute magical girls with a cute mascot character.

Are we seriously still doing this this poo poo?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

pointlessone posted:

1. magical girl shows are not moeblob shows because things happen which is antithetical to the moeblob formula of "nothing happens"

2. please consume your own self

Leper Residue posted:

yes, you should watch that, I forget if it was the thread title or a post in the thread but 'it is basically chamomile tea in anime form' is very true.

trip report: it's true.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
anyway i'm probably gonna give this show the three-episode test. not to see whether it's good- the first episode was super good- but to see whether the show is so good it can overcome my innate physiological responses of revulsion, sickness, and pain when confronted with despair

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

alcharagia posted:

anyway i'm probably gonna give this show the three-episode test. not to see whether it's good- the first episode was super good- but to see whether the show is so good it can overcome my innate physiological responses of revulsion, sickness, and pain when confronted with despair

if the first episode is doing this much to ya, you have got to stick with it, three episodes isn't nearly enough to show off the pain and despair this series has.

though the manga never really reaches 'great' levels.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Leper Residue posted:

if the first episode is doing this much to ya, you have got to stick with it, three episodes isn't nearly enough to show off the pain and despair this series has.

though the manga never really reaches 'great' levels.

oh i just mean in general. i am a massive baby when it comes to horror things and stuff because i physically cannot deal with despair like the kind you find in most zombie stories like this, it actually causes me to feel ill and in pain. the end of the first episode both astounded and compelled me because i thought it was awesome, and inspired a dull ache and sickening chill in my chest right beneath my lungs. it's like spicy food!!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, so, I do want to give a little bit of context in how things were leading up to actually watching this show. I'd just played The Last of Us for the first time a few hours before (and strangely I'd only had a small inkling what that one was about). It was dark out, raining, and far-off lightning was rumbling almost continuously. I'm the kind of guy who takes stuff a too seriously in survival post-apocalyptic stuff. I know just enough to get in trouble in regards to that (like wondering why Joel has a 9mm 1911 with a 6rd magazine in TLoU), but it also puts me in a survival mindset.

As for Gakkou Gurashi itself, I'd only seen a little bit about it. Something like I'd heard the word zombie used with it once or twice, and I'd seen someone talking about "shovel-chan's kill count." So I figured I may as well give it a try, might be neat, etc. While I was watching, I was waiting for some sort of bombshell to drop in the form of a catastrophe occurring and interrupting their school life, allowing them to start putting their skills to the test. Oh, haha, they're eating hard tack, that'll come in handle once poo poo goes down. Oh hey, bubbly pink girl really loves everyone. I bet she'll be good for keeping the group together in the future. So on and so forth. I did also notice a few things at first that seemed a little weird. Barging into class so nonchalantly (She must be a little scatterbrained, how moe), being nervous with a flushed face (She must actually have a little crush on her Senpai), what a strange way to store desks (must be a rare Japanese thing). I'm not sure if this show meant to do it or not, but it really feels like, hints of reality aside, it's trying to comment a little on shows that do this legitimately. Shows that purport to be about some school moe moe funtimes and give the characters a stupid amount of leeway that would never actually be tolerated in school.

What's nice though is that even before the end of the episode, someone like me that was completely taken by what was presented still had a few moments where I could think "Oh, this show is capable of serious scenes." In particular, when the shovel girl is on the roof and kind of looking out silently. That short scene felt incredibly different from the happy go lucky scenes we were watching just moments before. It made me think something like "Ah, we'll be seeing things like this a lot once things change." Of course, even with these little tidbits giving me hope, I actually was getting to the point where I was wondering how long it would take to get to the shift in the series. Maybe it would be like Medaka Box, where the first part of the series was one thing and then there was an absurd shift afterward. Maybe this adaptation would be of that first happy bit and I'd be disappointed.

What I enjoyed best about this episode, though, is that it did a thing I love in storytelling. The last anime I remember doing this successfully was Madoka with its Episode 10. Basically, you're presented a story that's generally believeable, and then something happens to give you completely new context. Suddenly everything that's been told to you before has a second meaning to it. You not only can go back and rewatch it, you're somewhat compelled to, so you can examine it with the knowledge that you now have. I think that this episode might be the best first episode of the season, at least out of what I've seen so far. It presents itself as a decent slice of life, and then compels you to rewatch it with an attentive eye. I've gone through and rewatched certain specific scenes that seemed alright or had weirdness I attributed to "It's anime," and they all really play out perfectly for the story that's actually happening. Even when Megu-nee is involved, which is so far above the storytelling capability I've come to expect from anime. As far as I can tell there's no actual bullshit pulls, there's no inconsistencies they simply didn't think about.

In Jitsu wa Watashi wa's first episode, the opening sequence has the MC rushing into a room where his crush was chilling. As he barges in, she was doing something that surprised him and caught him off guard. It set up the entire premise of the show. And if you're going in blind with no idea what's up, then you just don't know what it could be until it's revealed at the end. The girl was stretching her vampire bat wings. Despite such a thing being rather hard to miss and the "camera" giving you a shot of the crush that should have revealed the wings when the episode began, you're surprised by it. Why? Not because things were hidden cleverly or anything. You're surprised because they literally did not animate the wings for the first part.. They were only animated when they played the scene again. Seriously, look at this:

First time through:

Second time through:

It cheats by literally not presenting the information to you. You can't "solve the puzzle" and feel clever, or realize it was all in front of your face and feel tricked. That what I loved most about the first episode of Gakkou Gurashi. It was all right there, but in my smug "I've seen anime before" attitude, I just ignored it and missed it. I'm willing to bet everything in the show was very deliberately done the way it was in order to produce this duality. It'd be too easy to be lazy and just handwave things, but as far as I'm concerned they went the extra mile and earned their twist and reveal. I hope the rest of this show is good because a first episode this good, this engaging, deserves an adaptation that ends up worth watching.

Also I think I've written too many words about this show. What do you guys think? Am I just too eager to start sucking this show's dick?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So now that I've seen the second episode, I feel a bit more comfortable complaining about this thing I wanted to complain about earlier on. Manga stuff ahead so y'know, don't click on it anime-only people

The way they're presenting Yuki's delusions really rubs me wrong. I mean granted, there's a chance they can show them gradually giving way to reality when she's faced with a more dangerous situation later, but by presenting them as so... sort of... vividly? Persistent? It feels like it's making her seem extra oblivious. It really gives the impression that she genuinely believes what she sees instead of indulging in a fantasy to make life more livable.

Granted it's an adaptation, so changing stuff is fair game, and maybe my sour grapes will be addressed as the show goes on, but for now... The idea of someone who has had a full on mental collapse is a lot harder to relate to than someone who is pretending things are okay to avoid being miserable all the time.

That being said, some excellent use of music and sound effects in episode 2 yall

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Also I think I've written too many words about this show. What do you guys think? Am I just too eager to start sucking this show's dick?

No, I thought it was such a good first episode that I also rewatched it a few times to see all the little details, and my goodness are there a lot of them. I honestly don't know yet if Megu-nee and the dog are actually real or not since the dog is replaced by a bear in the ending clip, and Megu-nee doesn't have as much interaction with the rest of the cast than with Yuki.

This is a highly interesting one to watch, and thoroughly entertaining. Second episode kept it up very well, although I'm not sure I'm too keen on the effect surrounding the zombies.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

No, I thought it was such a good first episode that I also rewatched it a few times to see all the little details, and my goodness are there a lot of them. I honestly don't know yet if Megu-nee and the dog are actually real or not since the dog is replaced by a bear in the ending clip, and Megu-nee doesn't have as much interaction with the rest of the cast than with Yuki.

This is a highly interesting one to watch, and thoroughly entertaining. Second episode kept it up very well, although I'm not sure I'm too keen on the effect surrounding the zombies.

I just read a bit of the manga. It does seem like Megu-nee is supposed to be dead and that's one of the things I think they did really well in episode one. They talk all over her and never directly engage her, besides Yuki.

Also, speaking of things to notice in episode one...

Cute and funny, right? Look at the people in the yard. They're hunched over. Zombie-like. And I loving missed that poo poo.

e: Added another screenshot

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 16, 2015

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I hope the OP gets worse every episode.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just hope it doesn't get too edgy. If it turns into HSoTD or Elfen Lied or Attack on Titan or something, I think that'll be too far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

.Clash posted:

I hope the OP gets worse every episode.

I was thinking that too.

As for Megu-nee she's definitely not real, she seems more like a manifestation of Yuki's self-preservation instinct or the part of her that really knows what's going on.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

It really gives the impression that she genuinely believes what she sees instead of indulging in a fantasy to make life more livable.
Manga spoilers: She kind of does believes what she sees though. I mean, she's not just pretending things are okay to avoid being miserable all the time, she did have a full on mental breakdown. At least that's the impression I've got from reading the manga.

Nah, your post is a good post and exactly the sort of reaction I was looking for from anime-only viewers :v:

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 16, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I already knew what the deal was going in, but I really enjoyed all the little details that gave things away.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, though I missed a few of the more subtle ones like the writing on the blackboard.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Nah, your post is a good post and exactly the sort of reaction I was looking for from anime-only viewers :v:

Glad I could oblige.

I'd just like to note that I'm proud of the description PLEX is now giving me for this show, too.

TVDB posted:

Takeya Yuki is in love with the school. For her, it's a wonderful place, where she enjoys her school activities, especially the activities of her club: School Life Club. The club has Rii-chan as the president, Kurumi-chan as another member, and the teacher, Megu-nee, always there for them. Yes, she is in love with her school... on her mind. Because, for her, the reality of the school and their club's activities is way too hard to be perceived...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
this episode was actually kinda sweet and I liked it! much less unsettling than the moe uncanny valley of the first episode. not looking forward to when kurumi inevitably bites it tho

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

So how far down the rabbit hole does this go?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

spoiler question for manga readers who're watching the show

whats with short hair and the dog being in screenshots here? afaik they only show up way later in the manga? like they rescue the girl at least, don't really remember what the deal is with the dog

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davincie posted:

whats with short hair and the dog being in screenshots here? afaik they only show up way later in the manga? like they rescue the girl at least, don't really remember what the deal is with the dog

The show's apparently not going 1:1, even though they're basically doing the same events. Mii-kun has the same backstory, it's just already happened. Not sure on the dog, it might be dead already? It has that ghost thing on its head now, but it was also being held by multiple people in the club and it was seen through the zombie's eyes too.

Also someone translated some extras from the manga:

http://pastebin.com/xKr64Qre
http://pastebin.com/8rz8gEUM
http://pastebin.com/hgr2a3ZL

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

So how far down the rabbit hole does this go?

this would make yuki the single most badass and competent protagonist in the genre

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Davincie posted:

Short hair girl gets introduced a bit later in the manga, they just wrote her in from the beginning it seems. The dog only shows up for like one chapter, for a flashback where Yuki finds it and then it turns out its infected and they kill it, afaik. It's either already dead and she's imagining it, or they are making you get attached to it when it will eventually be killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

this would make yuki the single most badass and competent protagonist in the genre

like i actually kind of love this theory because it turns this show from a desparate horror story that uses comedy for emotional value into the story of one lady shouting ZOMBIES CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO and having a happy as heck life basically to spite the living dead and this concept amuses me and makes me happy

• Locked thread