Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

I Am Legend with Will Smith replaced with a shiba inu.

Miki was saving that bacon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Getting annoyed with this adaptation. Why is it going out of its way to take so much from what Yuki's character is supposed to be, do and her position in the group.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

.Clash posted:

Getting annoyed with this adaptation. Why is it going out of its way to take so much from what Yuki's character is supposed to be, do and her position in the group.

Is... she supposed to not be the ironic pillar of normalcy in this hosed up world?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Is... she supposed to not be the ironic pillar of normalcy in this hosed up world?

My impression from the manga was that the one who is closest to a mental breakdown is actually Yuri, and Yuki is acting how she is to keep Yuri sane as much as herself.

Which doesn't seem to be how the anime is handling it at the moment, but that might change.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Darox posted:

My impression from the manga was that the one who is closest to a mental breakdown is actually Yuri, and Yuki is acting how she is to keep Yuri sane as much as herself.

Which doesn't seem to be how the anime is handling it at the moment, but that might change.

I always thought it was left sort of intentionally ambiguous exactly to what extent Yuki actually believes her delusions and when she finally realizes what's happening.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Watched the first episode. Was interested. Currently watching more.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Even after death, the Japanese salaryman continues to go to to work everyday.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
So I'm sure it's been posited already but I'm pretty sure Megu-nee is a delusion of some sort and died a while back.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Pretty good adaptation so far I think.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So I'm sure it's been posited already but I'm pretty sure Megu-nee is a delusion of some sort and died a while back.

manga spoilers: I think they actually found her zombified in the tunnels/bunker below the school

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm the exact opposite of spoiler phobic, but it seems weird to respond to people speculating with spoilers from the manga.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Darox posted:

I got the impression from the manga that Yuki had gradually recovered just enough to have a basic understanding of what was happening. She willingly stays withdrawn in her world for the sake of her friends as much as herself, and also as her way of remembering Megu-nee.

As for Yuri, she held it together pretty well until Kurumi almost turned and the helicopter crash. Those two things happening one after the other hit her hard, but she really started slipping when she remembered her sister.

Brownieftw posted:

manga spoilers: I think they actually found her zombified in the tunnels/bunker below the school

Yeah. I had to take a short break from reading the manga after that, because it really hit me in the gut.

a kitten posted:

I'm the exact opposite of spoiler phobic, but it seems weird to respond to people speculating with spoilers from the manga.

I like spoilers because it makes threads look like declassified military documents.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Command Ant posted:

As for Yuri, she held it together pretty well until Kurumi almost turned and the helicopter crash. Those two things happening one after the other hit her hard, but she really started slipping when she remembered her sister.

There is a lot of talk about who and what is real so I guess this is some more speculation in that vein. Remember what Miki said about Yuri and Yuki's relationship being a co-dependency? Well, with Yuki getting more capable, I think Yuri started looking for someone else to take care of. She needs to take care of someone helpless. I don't think Yuri ever had a sister. She made her up in a delusional stupor.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Trihugger posted:

There is a lot of talk about who and what is real so I guess this is some more speculation in that vein. Remember what Miki said about Yuri and Yuki's relationship being a co-dependency? Well, with Yuki getting more capable, I think Yuri started looking for someone else to take care of. She needs to take care of someone helpless. I don't think Yuri ever had a sister. She made her up in a delusional stupor.

Even more manga spoilers:
I think her having a sister is probably a real thing, but I don't think the little girl she found is real. There are some telling remarks, like noone else hearing the voice when searching or their reactions when they find Yuri taking her out of the school, but the most damming evidence is that she's dressed like the teddy bear Yuki left behind.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
That and when she gets shot at, they are telling her to drop what's she is holding. If there was a sister, she would have maybe been told to get her hands off the girl instead.

Also Mi-chan's reaction to her screaming and how she looked from behind made it pretty clear to me at least.

One thing I am curious about is Kurumi's night adventures and how she's recovering. Wasn't it hinted at her arm being colder than the rest of her? I zoomed through the manga and could be misremembering.

Sorry about all the spoiler tags!!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Episode 6 does a good job of demonstrating how :stare: an outsider would be upon coming in contact with Yuki.

Also more really good implementation of BGM

I'm also wondering, in terms of differences from the manga, now that Miki is already relatively taken in by Yuki, with her asking to join the club, I get the feeling Taroumaru's infection will be where Yuki proves she's not the dangerous dead weight that she comes off as in the anime. I mean yes, she's still the mood maker that makes everyone happy, but she's also a bit extra crazy, so I get the feeling the TV series climax is going to be a moment where she shows that she's not quite the slave to her delusions she seems to be

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

That was a great episode. Guessing from the next episode title what it's going to be I'm really looking forward to that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I have so many mixed emotions from this series. On the one hand, the light-hearted moe touches me in my kokoro while Yuki's PTSD basically makes me feel horrible for her every time it comes up.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode's end credits and preview were heartbreaking, and it's not like I didn't see it coming, either.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm also wondering, in terms of differences from the manga, now that Miki is already relatively taken in by Yuki, with her asking to join the club, I get the feeling Taroumaru's infection will be where Yuki proves she's not the dangerous dead weight that she comes off as in the anime. I mean yes, she's still the mood maker that makes everyone happy, but she's also a bit extra crazy, so I get the feeling the TV series climax is going to be a moment where she shows that she's not quite the slave to her delusions she seems to be

If that happens, I'm assuming it will happen during the helicopter crash, since that looks to me where the anime is most likely going to stop.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The credits sequence destroyed me. This is a hell of a show.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Now the thread can start looking a little less like a bar code.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I got hardcore goosebumps when everything started falling apart in the music room and Miki asked who Megu-nee was. That loving music... And I got all :smith: when Yuki gave Megumi the bottle of water off-screen, but all you hear is the bottle hit the floor.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ive read all of this manga that is translated and my biggest question is why are all the windows in every building broken? do the zombies throw rocks?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I bet zombies attack their own reflections in the windows. They seem pretty easy to confuse in this setting.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress. The leader girl's eyes in that one scene on the roof.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If you're looking for something to eat while watching this show...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Tastes like survival!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wow, the next episode preview was perfect.

Perfect business idea. Change the label of some canned food and increase the price by 3 fold.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i don't know who actually buys all these foods with animes on them

like why would you even

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't know, the thought of my great grand children finding an antique can of anime corned beef in the back of my cupboard is pretty funny.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gyra_Solune posted:

i don't know who actually buys all these foods with animes on them

like why would you even

i was really close to buy wakako zake food

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zettace posted:

I don't know, the thought of my great grand children finding an antique can of anime corned beef in the back of my cupboard is pretty funny.

Half my buys are based on painting a horrific picture when my body is found.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay I just watched the first episode of this and what the gently caress? That was weirdly brilliant. Now I only watched it because I knew the twist and it sounded interesting, but what did they market this as?

Also hit me with a spoiler someone who knows, does the dog die?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

McDragon posted:

Okay I just watched the first episode of this and what the gently caress? That was weirdly brilliant. Now I only watched it because I knew the twist and it sounded interesting, but what did they market this as?

There is a dog in the manga, but not like the dog in the show from what i understand so i don't think anyone can actually say.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not yet :unsmigghh:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

McDragon posted:

I'd say the dog's odds of survival are as good as a black man's in a horror movie. Or most movies, really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The black guy usually survives in Romero movies though (if anyone does).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

The black guy usually survives in Romero movies though (if anyone does).

My personal favorite Romero death is the black guy living through the zombie attack in night of the living dead and then dying because humanity is the true evil.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the dog was already pretty lucky to survive in the mall, so i'm thankful he's been in the show at all

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

So I just saw the second twist after coming into this series blind with a recommendation from a friend, and I have to say I really appreciate how consistent the anime has been, along with the clever clues and foreshadowing that have been present the entire time. Watching them straight through didn't leave me much time to consider implications of the plot completely, and so I was still enjoying the first twist on the show thinking that was the "reveal" that my friend wanted me to see. When I was watching this 6th episode where Miki reveals Yuki's delusions, it was really great to think back on all the interactions that Megumi had with the group and see that the reactions matched perfectly with an imaginary character that was being tolerated for the sake of a valued friend. I really love that "everything drops into place" moment, except there were a lot of moments! I nearly lost the next few minutes of the show thinking back on all the little hints dropped that I thought were strange decisions by the group. Why was the teacher letting one of her students get her car (and drive it)? Why didn't she say which one it was? Why didn't she play a more active role in patrolling? Why did they forget that she'd be the fifth in the tent? etc. It was a big OF COURSE moment that blindsided me and I loved it. I'll be trying my best to avoid more manga spoilers although I accidentally picked up something about puppy. To me, this has been great storytelling so far so i'll keep up with it to see what unfolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The dog is actually a bit of a tricky case spoiler-wise. It's more or less anime only, so even people who have read the manga don't know what'll happen to it.

• Locked thread