Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Imo i think literally the only reason that the crime rates dropped dramatically in the late 90's-early 00's is the thousands of cops all the major cities put on the streets. That and all the asset forfeiture laws that benefitted the police departments. Its not like theres been any kind of sea change of culture or anything, people are just as leaderless and disempowered on the street as they've ever been. As those budgets drop, watch the roving gangs of hooligans start back up again. I told a boston cop on roving-hooligan-watching-duty this and he didn't seem to disagree with me. They kill all the civil rights leaders and this is what happens, they have to resort to guns to keep the status quo. IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

idea: figure out whatever secret every other country has for fighting crime without having literally millions of it's citizens incarcerated at a time

Brazil just kills em in the streets, China too for the most part. Europes tired of fighting for now, they had a 2000 year stretch or so, taking a 50 year reprieve. What place in the world is rich, dynamic and crime free again?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Doesnt check the dynamic box with its ~60% average tax rate or so and a lack of appreciation for the finer points of crony capitalism. Also caucasian and protestant as all hell. Next?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nah dont bother i dont actually care

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

lol @ the implication racial diversity is a cause of violence

Cultural diversity not racial. The beatings will continue until assimilation improves.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

mentioning diversity and immigration in the same sentence strongly implies your talking about racial diversity for obvious reasons so either yall should learn to word an argument or that was the fastest backpedal in gbs history

Diversity doesn't imply race, you're just doing the typical thing of hoping someone else is a comic book level racist so you have someone you can feel better than, but it was you who introduced color into the discussion in the first place. Anyway yes skin color and culture have a lot of overlap sure.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sonofsilversign posted:

does immigration imply race in your opinion?

I don't know how to answer that, does mexican imply race to you?

Since there are very few stateless people in the world, immigration can largely be thought of along the lines of nationality.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ya basically. seeing racism in everything is a rabble opinion, conflating multiple areas of human identity past the point of reasonable discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It probably does own at least a little.

• Locked thread