Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wonderful, but possibly spoilery fan-art by the super talentedYokaiy
Tomaton shows us why you use the drive-thru at Daijoburger

When someone is asked about FMV games, usually their minds jump to poorly made and poorly acted late 90's fare that was populated with forced game play elements or just lackluster presentation all around. And that's why for the most part the genre pretty much subsided into obscurity and the realm of legends by the beginnings of the 2000's. So color me surprised when I was digging around for some tripe to tickle my fancy when I stumbled across The Fear (not to be confused by the acronym FPS F.E.A.R.). No, this Fear is a completely different beast all together and a bit of an anomaly for the PS2; especially when you consider that all total, the PS2 maybe have four FMV games for it's entire life span. Which is only made even more odd by the fact that it was made by RPG power house Enix (though they did make an earlier PS2 FMV game called Love Story).

So just what is the plot of the Fear? Well it's a pretty common plot and setting for a horror movie/game. A group of people deem it to be a profitable idea to head to a remote location where something bad happened and bad things probably ensue. The group in question is a collection of idols and a production company that want to film a reality tv paranormal show in a long abandoned mansion where a series of grisly murders took place. Needless to say we'll be learning more about the events that occurred in this remote location, but initially everyone seems in a positive mood. I mean, who doesn't enjoy a good scare?

And finally want to give a huge thanks to goon PostProcessing (or Glendus on youtube) who did the translation work that you're seeing and also a big up's to Panzer Skank for continuing to do a great job with the subtitles.

Yukari is our resident psychic and girl voted most likely to pass out. She is also going to be inside of us for most of the game and it's as hot as it sounds.

Natsuki is the diligent, prim, and proper girl of the group. She also is waiting for Judgement Day in a bad way.

Eri is the tomboy of the group and is often unsure of her place in the world. She also can speak Russian which might be handy.

Mika is our frisky up and comer who wishes to bed anyone on her way to the top. She also is a pill pusher and we're happy to comply.

Mayumi is the eccentric wild card with a mysterious past. She also might be carrying the Camera Obscura to capture the ghostly spirits in the house.

Okuyama is our producer and the one who threw this whole scenario together. Doesn't last long....

Ryouko is the manager of the talent and the one trying to keep the girls in line for the terror ahead.

Matsumura is the director and what some might called an 'urban cowboy'.

Tan is the resident sound engineer and master of the Hawaiian shirt. Enjoys a good toke of the Maui Wowie.

Aya is the assistant director of the show and seems mainly around to be a 'gopher'.

Kirina is the project's make-up lady and could possibly be the most brooding person in Japan.

Higuchi is the best character in the game.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The answer to the thread title: the butt.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

This looks interesting, though I'm unsure if the horror has actually started or if the producer is faking it, and the monster shows up later. Cowboy dude blocking you from looking outside suggests the latter, but it also might just be them not having the budget for outside shots.
I get that O is positive and X is negative but some of the questions seem a bit hard to understand, so I appreciate you comments there.

Anyway seems great, looking forward to more.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
You play as "Camera-san"? That is brilliant.

I really love your choice of games for LPs, and even more so when it's stuff that hasn't been localized. Anything that introduces more people in the West to such games is stellar work as far as I'm concerned.

The game seems pretty all right so far. I like that they didn't go the route Western RPGs usually take where you have to agree with everyone to get the best outcome. It seems others around you are frequently in the wrong and you have to respond to that appropriately. Looking forward to more episodes.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh, yay, this finally happened! I was hoping for this being properly LP'd after people offered to help with translations when you posted bits of this at previous occasions.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Yay the Niggurath translation squad returns. :neckbeard:

I have to say this game already has me intrigued. The surprisingly high video- and set-quality for an FMV game certainly help.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

RealSovietBear posted:

You play as "Camera-san"? That is brilliant.
That's not your name, just your role. Like calling the guy in charge of lighting "Lighting".

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

That's not your name, just your role. Like calling the guy in charge of lighting "Lighting".
That is literally our name in this game. We are never called anything else and I'm sticking by the fact that we are just Camera.

dijon du jour posted:

Yay the Niggurath translation squad returns. :neckbeard:

I have to say this game already has me intrigued. The surprisingly high video- and set-quality for an FMV game certainly help.
Definitely, while the acting is never that amazing and some things come off as super cheap/goofy (which I think is what they were partially going for), it still seems overall that this game has higher production values than most FMV games. I assume that's why it came on 4 DVD's...

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010
Glad to see this going :) Was so charmed by it I had to help out. If anyone notices rough parts in the translation, blame me. (No, seriously do. Feedback is welcome)

Hel posted:

I get that O is positive and X is negative but some of the questions seem a bit hard to understand, so I appreciate you comments there.

Yeah, I had to be careful wording the questions. Like the "Monster's don't exist, right?" The answers are O) Right, they don't exist X) No, they do exist. Not O) Yes, they exist X) No, they don't exist. Even some of the Japanese LPers got confused.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I was waiting for you to go 'What a scoop!'. I must be patient.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Drakenel posted:

I was waiting for you to go 'What a scoop!'. I must be patient.
If someone teaches me how to say it in Japanese then I will....just be careful cause it might end up like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzMNkS20fU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
We are still firmly in TV spookshow territory. We were specifically not allowed to go outside earlier, and now we haven't been able to examine the "body" to confirm the producers death. Unbuttoned Shirt guy was all "wink-wink nudge-nudge" about why we couldn't go film outside earlier, and why? Because he figured that we were in on them setting up for the producer's death-scene, followed by the rigged windows and doors closing. He's not pissed off and scared about being stuck in a haunted house, he's just pissed that he missed his opportunity to get out before the house was shut up. Now he's stuck in here with us, when he just wants to hit the craft-services table.

But what about Yukari's premonitions? Come on, she's clearly epileptic. It was clear that she was working up to an episode on the bus, and then had a minor seizure when she got inside. She tried to pass it off as "premonitions" during the hiring process. Good luck getting another job on TV after this, Yukari.

Now you're going on about her ghostly spirit? Come on, she's not projecting herself astraly, we literally just took random drugs, on camera, from some chick who at first was all about wanting to take the D from the producer to further her career and then tried to play the coquette with us in the hope that we'd give her more screen time. We are tripping balls right now. Also we are gonna get so loving fired for this.

But who, then, is setting all this poo poo up, you ask?

Niggurath posted:

Higuchi is the best character in the game.

We haven't seen this fucker since we got here. Clearly it's his job to set up the various jump scares. Probably snuck out the back to meet with the crew who was already on site before we got here (who did you think the shapes moving behind the windows during the beginning sequence were?) so they could get started prepping for sealing the house.

Okuyama posted:

loving Fired:

- Camera-Chan: High on duty.
- Yukari: Undeclared medical condition disguised as "Sixth Sense".
- Eri: poo poo-talking the Boss on camera.

Okuyama posted:

loving Promoted:

- Mayumi: She can replace Camera-Chan for the next TV series.

Okuyama posted:

loving:

Mika

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Well in my rush to not lolly gag about, we are missing a few scenes here and there (nothing too important). And there's a certain piece of weirdness we can get if we happen into a room before heading to the second floor; I think I still have it recorded but I'll post it as a bonus video when I get home just so no one is suspicious of my BFF, Higuchi.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Niggurath posted:

If someone teaches me how to say it in Japanese then I will....just be careful cause it might end up like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzMNkS20fU

According to google translate, Dono yōna sukūpu!

God that game was loving weird as hell.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Niggurath posted:

Yukari is our resident psychic and girl voted most likely to pass out. She is also going to be inside of for most of the game and it's as hot as it sounds.

Inside of what?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fear Bonus- Higuchi's Horror Quiz Time!

So there are a few optional things that we can check out if we avoid the main story and sometimes those things can be a tad bit odd. Take for instance the fact that one of the staff members feels the want to quiz us on our horror knowledge. And while this doesn't affect the story, we still have to show Higuchi that we're up to the task.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Inside of what?
Oops, forgot a word. But I meant to say she'll be inside of us to give it some double entendre.

edit: Since Higuchi covers quite a few movies in his quiz, it got me to wondering but have you guys seen any good horror movies as of late? Personally I'm watching horror movies all the time and sometimes things just catch off guard. Things like Creep, which was an amazingly fun ride, or Faults.

And not sure if you guys noticed, but Panzer decided to keep track of this game's daijobu's (basically the Japanese word for 'Are you okay?' or 'Yeah, I'm okay'). So by the end of this game, how many daijobu's will we be up to?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 14, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Niggurath posted:

And not sure if you guys noticed, but Panzer decided to keep track of this game's daijobu's (basically the Japanese word for 'Are you okay?' or 'Yeah, I'm okay'). So by the end of this game, how many daijobu's will we be up to?

I was going to ask but couldn't think of a way to do so without sounding like some kind of baka gaijin.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Niggurath posted:

I'm guessing 31.

As for horror movies, I'm a bit behind on newer releases. I've seen a crapton of old stuff, but the two things you linked seem worth checking out.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RickVoid posted:

I was going to ask but couldn't think of a way to do so without sounding like some kind of baka gaijin.
There's no shame in asking; I'm not super fluent in Japanese but I've learned to pick out certain words, like oppai. That's a very important word.

RealSovietBear posted:

I'm guessing 31.

As for horror movies, I'm a bit behind on newer releases. I've seen a crapton of old stuff, but the two things you linked seem worth checking out.
I do enjoy the classics as well, and often times force Panzer to watch them with me and more often than not they're utter crap. Like the Thor vehicle Rock'n'Roll Nightmare. Really if it was feasible to stream and riff on this poo poo then I would.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Niggurath posted:

I do enjoy the classics as well, and often times force Panzer to watch them with me and more often than not they're utter crap. Like the Thor vehicle Rock'n'Roll Nightmare. Really if it was feasible to stream and riff on this poo poo then I would.

I had this thing with a friend in high school where every week, we'd watch one super trashy horror movie. We dug up some utterly, flabbergastingly bad stuff. I think the high point was Billy the Kid VS Dracula. The Stuff was also very... special.

Also, to get back on the topic of FEAR, I thought it seemed familiar. The premise of a film crew in an abandoned haunted house also happens in Sweet Home (both the film and the video game). I need to rewatch the movie again during or after this LP for comparison's sake.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Art history time!

The painting you investigated at 10:36 is (a variaton of, he painted a few of them) The Nightmare by an artist named Fuseli, done in the 1780s.

^This is the original version. Of note, everything is facing the opposite direction, and the horse head isn't quite as stark against the background.

As you can guess, he was not a happy person and this is not a happy painting. However, the painting seems to have made many other people happy, since it gets referenced a lot and has been painted and satirized by a bunch of other artists over the years, and there are even call-backs to it in such works of literature as Frankenstein and The Fall of the House of Usher. It's also what he is best known for. Symbolism-wise, it's got all the goodies going for it: sexual frustration, creepy incubus demons, being literally crushed by your nightmares, etc. At the time it was painted, it was super risque, but I guess kind of a lot of his stuff was? He had some problems.

I think I also recognized one of the still-life paintings on the walls, but that's hardly important in a horror game and I can safely say I haven't stared at still-life paintings long enough to be able to distinguish one from any other or be able to know the title of any of them off-hand. I don't think I knew any of the others.

As for this game, it seems really neat so far. I like the idea of the player being the cameraman, it's not an angle that's explored very often I think? I'm excited to see who gets killed off next -- my money's on Jesus-girl. And for the daijoubu count, I'm gonna go with 87. That seems like a nice, safe bet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RealSovietBear posted:

I'm guessing 31.

It Follows hit wide release in the US this year, and it's amazing.

Excellent soundtrack and cinematography. I mean, the whole film is solid, but for that stuff it goes above and beyond.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Art history time!

The painting you investigated at 10:36 is (a variaton of, he painted a few of them) The Nightmare by an artist named Fuseli, done in the 1780s.

^This is the original version. Of note, everything is facing the opposite direction, and the horse head isn't quite as stark against the background.

As you can guess, he was not a happy person and this is not a happy painting. However, the painting seems to have made many other people happy, since it gets referenced a lot and has been painted and satirized by a bunch of other artists over the years, and there are even call-backs to it in such works of literature as Frankenstein and The Fall of the House of Usher. It's also what he is best known for. Symbolism-wise, it's got all the goodies going for it: sexual frustration, creepy incubus demons, being literally crushed by your nightmares, etc. At the time it was painted, it was super risque, but I guess kind of a lot of his stuff was? He had some problems.

I think I also recognized one of the still-life paintings on the walls, but that's hardly important in a horror game and I can safely say I haven't stared at still-life paintings long enough to be able to distinguish one from any other or be able to know the title of any of them off-hand. I don't think I knew any of the others.

As for this game, it seems really neat so far. I like the idea of the player being the cameraman, it's not an angle that's explored very often I think? I'm excited to see who gets killed off next -- my money's on Jesus-girl. And for the daijoubu count, I'm gonna go with 87. That seems like a nice, safe bet.
That's super interesting to find out and super bizarre to me that they must have had someone on their team make bizarrely distorted recreations of spooky paintings. Maybe they didn't want to pay for the rights to use the proper image, but I like to think that maybe they knew it'd add to the overall creepiness of the house and how everything seems off (ya know, what with the ear sticking out of the wall and the blood smeared everywhere). It is worth noting that some of the more original art on the walls in the game will have some real connection to the story of the game itself and I'll do my best to focus on those when we come up to them.

Also you have some pretty high expectations for the daijobu count; I guess I should make mention that this isn't an especially long game and thus I don't think we'll be reaching such epic daijobu levels.

chiasaur11 posted:

It Follows hit wide release in the US this year, and it's amazing.

Excellent soundtrack and cinematography. I mean, the whole film is solid, but for that stuff it goes above and beyond.
Ya know, while I enjoyed 'It Follows', I wasn't terribly blown away by it and I feel like all the hype I was hearing about the movie before hand might have ruined some of the experience. Like the setup was fine and I don't mind a bit of symbolism, but some of the choices that were made to push the symbolism were so doofy to me (like when she bangs the dudes on the boat). It was kind of the same thing with 'The Babadook'; certain parts of it just irked me so much that while I know it's good, it's hard for me to recommend the movies as I'd never want to watch them again myself.

Speaking of enjoyable horror movie soundtracks, I really enjoyed this song from 'You're Next': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvbp9YFZjaM

And finally, I'm hoping to record the commentary for the next update sometime this weekend; I've just been feeling a lil under the weather for the last couple of days.

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010
Poor Okuyama didn't have a chance. In remembrance, here's a bit more about him.

According to his profile, you find out that he's well-known for being a bit of a joker and his colleagues aren't quite sure what to make of him. Even Ryouko, who's apparently an old friend of his.

He's played by Hatsunori Hasegawa and has been in quite a lot media, including movies, TV shows, dramas, and stage shows. He's still acting to this day.

Ultraman 80 as Takeshi Yamato

Takamine as Jokichi Takamine, a chemist and philanthropist

Friedrich IV of Legend of Galactic Heroes

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Fear Bonus- Higuchi's Horror Quiz Time!

So there are a few optional things that we can check out if we avoid the main story and sometimes those things can be a tad bit odd. Take for instance the fact that one of the staff members feels the want to quiz us on our horror knowledge. And while this doesn't affect the story, we still have to show Higuchi that we're up to the task.

Okay, fine, I can accept that he was distracted by that armoire for the entirety of the first episode and therefore was not involved with the stage crew that worked diligently to seal us in. Although, this does raise another question for me.

Okuyama was(is!) the Producer, and Matsumura is the director. Aya is his assistant, and Ryouko is a deadly space-pirate manages the "talent" that Kirina is in charge of making and keeping pretty. Camera-chan is Camera-chan, and Tam is our sound guy (who apparently doesn't need to follow us around everywhere actually recording anything).

So what the gently caress is Higuchi's job? I remember he carried in a big-rear end duffel bag of god-knows-what, but he didn't have that in the Ominous Russian Statue room. I guess he could just be a stage hand, but generally their job is to set up and move props around (since you don't trust a stage hand with your multi-thousand dollar electronic equipment), and what sort of props is he going to be expected to set up in a *ahem* supposedly untouched actually-haunted-house.

I see through your attempts to distract us from the truth. Camera-chan is flying high and this places history is less grounded in reality than the WWE.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RickVoid posted:

Okay, fine, I can accept that he was distracted by that armoire for the entirety of the first episode and therefore was not involved with the stage crew that worked diligently to seal us in. Although, this does raise another question for me.

Okuyama was(is!) the Producer, and Matsumura is the director. Aya is his assistant, and Ryouko is a deadly space-pirate manages the "talent" that Kirina is in charge of making and keeping pretty. Camera-chan is Camera-chan, and Tam is our sound guy (who apparently doesn't need to follow us around everywhere actually recording anything).

So what the gently caress is Higuchi's job? I remember he carried in a big-rear end duffel bag of god-knows-what, but he didn't have that in the Ominous Russian Statue room. I guess he could just be a stage hand, but generally their job is to set up and move props around (since you don't trust a stage hand with your multi-thousand dollar electronic equipment), and what sort of props is he going to be expected to set up in a *ahem* supposedly untouched actually-haunted-house.

I see through your attempts to distract us from the truth. Camera-chan is flying high and this places history is less grounded in reality than the WWE.
I probably should have pointed it out earlier, but PostProcessing actually has the workings of a fan site for the Fear translation work and it does have some useful information (and beware of spoilers): http://the-fear-game.weebly.com/

But Higuchi's actual position on the crew is art direction...which in retrospect still seems like a possible cover.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Can burning Higuchi's melt steel hearts? Tune in to find out.

Also, what do you guys think is behind the locked door?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 17, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Man its not the same without Brisco's screams.

Also that was painfully awkward. We have only one hand, and it's fused to the camera. Yukari wanting to hold it is odd.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Drakenel posted:

Man its not the same without Brisco's screams.

Also that was painfully awkward. We have only one hand, and it's fused to the camera. Yukari wanting to hold it is odd.

She is obviously holding the side of the lens. I mean, the camera is part of us isn't it?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
So the monster knocks girls out and they wake up covered in goo?

Oh no, BIll Cosby is on the loose.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

coleman francis posted:

Fffffuuuck you for making me laugh at that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Wait a minute. Tentacles... Smell of rotten fish... Higuchi acting strange...

Clearly the house is being haunted by the spirits of the bad sushi Higuchi ate. The reason Okuyama's corpse was so horrific is that he expired from a sudden spectacular, and quite fatal, bowel movement.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, the writers who plotted this show out really strained themselves here. Obvious 10 Little Indians motif for the viewers to find and say "Ah, one is going to break every-time someone dies!", and a "tentacle monster" because you gotta cater to the lowest common denominator: filthy otakus. I wonder which member of the production crew was standing under the camera in Yukari's room waving the fake tentacles.

This crew is just so ham-fisted about everything. Higuchi shows us the statues, then Aya shows us one is broken. Matsumura really wants us to know just how frustrated he is that the door won't open, yet when we offer to try and help open it he's like "Nah, it's fine, how about you go look at something else for a while". Tam just happens to be right outside the door when we found that map that he then told us all about. And when the "tentacle monster" attacks, it's, yes another member of the production crew there to show us "Yep, that thing was totally here!". Higuchi has the worst goddamn poker face too. "What are you doing in a place like this?" Really? Why don't you just wear a shirt that says "Not suspicious", it might work better. He was totally on his way to set something up while we're supposed to be busy with the room downstairs. I guaran-drat-tee you that the next thing to happen, after whatever goes on in the room we're about to open, will be upstairs.

As nice as it was to see Yukari and Camera-chan bonding over mind-altering chemicals, that was some seriously inappropriate work-place behavior. Even if Okuyama doesn't fire them they're absolutely going to have to sit through the Sexual Harassment video again!

Oh, and Aya? Being all "Hey, after we're done playing pretend haunted house do you wanna get some drinks" on camera is not a good way to build tension for the show.

This can't be a production crew from Japan's version of ABC or CBS. This is like, Japan's local access television station that has set this poo poo up. Although I guess this is also a really good example of why you don't let your production crew act.

I wonder if Okuyama is seething over the fact that Camera-chan still hasn't put together that he could grab Eri to translate all the Cyrillic plastered around the house.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

That actually seems like a pretty good theory. In retrospect it does seem that the groups of girls always seem to have at least one member of the filming crew staff there; could be mere coincidence....or it could be to keep the girls in their proper places so that some doofy scare could be setup. And while I haven't shown it off, it is sometimes strange where people are or why places are blocked off. Like I mentioned in the video, Aya was blocking the hallway if we would have tried to go down it; could she have been planting the map and a piece of jewelry down there? And hell, we already know that Matsumura was wanting to setup hidden cameras to catch the girls in surprising moments (and in fact, if we had setup the camera in the make-up room we could have seen similar slapping tentacles in the make-up room). Even Natsuki and Eri are getting more suspicious that this is all some elaborate setup by the crew and that even the super trustworthy Camera-san might be in on it all.

Still it does seem a bit unlikely that someone on the film crew could have rigged the entire house up with such an complex trap mechanism. Farting suits of armor and random swinging birds, I can see....but not entire Resident Evil mansions. And why actually physically attack the girls and cause them to go into such a state of panic that they'd physically risk their lives with what went on in the make-up room? Or could it be that maybe Mika and Mayumi are in on it as well; I mean at least Mika seems to be of the mindset that she wants to get ahead in the biz using some possibly skeezy methods.

In the end, the major question among of this is still that if this is being faked then what exactly is affecting Yukari so much? Is it just a psychotropic trip from the mystery pills or is she indeed a psychic? Lots of questions and plenty of mysteries left ahead...

But speaking of '10 Little Indians', did anyone ever watch the miniseries 'Harper's Island'? While a bit soap opera-y, it was still a pretty fun bit of tv horror and well worth a watch if you ever get the chance.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
There was another one that I didn't mention, with Ryouko being the one directing us to look at the monitor when Yukari was "under attack".

With regards to whether any of the idols are in on it (and if so, which ones), I'm uncertain. Mika and Mayumi are my biggest suspects for being in on it, because it's hard to believe that one of the production crew, dressed up in the Hentai Nightmare (I'm refering to the tentacle monster as this from now on) costume actually attacked and knocked them out. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Much safer for the two of them to be in on the whole thing, and I imagine you'd want someone on the inside pushing the other girls towards "This is totally real guys!". But to do that they'd need to be interacting with the other girls, and we really haven't see that yet.

I will admit, Yukari is increasingly becoming where this whole thing breaks down. It was easy to call her out as epileptic and our visions of her drug induced when she was sleeping her seizure off, but now she's awake and directly referencing poo poo spirit her told us about. Could that have been some kind of projector/speaker combo and she's in on it too? But that would mean three of the five girls are in on the whole thing, so the only genuine reactions they're getting are from Natsuki and Eri. Seems like a lot of effort for too little gain, but then again, this production (if it is in fact all a set up) has been anything but competent so far.

Actually, I wonder if they'll risk sending the Hentai Nightmare after us so we can catch it on camera. Heck, that's another mark against Mika and Mayumi, the two of them straight up told us not to confront the thing if we see it. Could it be because they know it's somebody in a suit and don't want us to screw up the whole thing by attacking a member of the production crew?

On the subject of the jewelry, I'm not sure if it's something the crew actually planted for us to find (like the key and the map), or if Camera-chan is just a klepto. I'm leaning more towards the latter.

I know I haven't said it (even if it's obvious) but I'm enjoying the hell out of this, Niggurath.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Niggurath posted:

edit: Since Higuchi covers quite a few movies in his quiz, it got me to wondering but have you guys seen any good horror movies as of late? Personally I'm watching horror movies all the time and sometimes things just catch off guard. Things like Creep, which was an amazingly fun ride, or Faults.

Pontypool. Motherfucking Pontypool. It's one of the best recent horror movies I've seen (2010/2011, I think). It's hard to say a lot without giving stuff away, but it's about a group of people who work at a radio station in Canada, in the town of Pontypool, when people start behaving strangely. They get reports from people outside the studio, and it's a beautifully tense movie. I highly recommend it.

I also saw Poltergeist for the first time recently, and I was surprised at how well it seems to stand up after something like 30 years..

1408 is also really good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Everybody's thinking Natsuki's nuts with all her Christian rambling but when the ancient Russian demons appear she'll be the only one with enough faith to fight them off. :haw:

Either that or Aya could always challenge said Russian demons to a vodka drinkoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Everybody's thinking Natsuki's nuts with all her Christian rambling but when the ancient Russian demons appear she'll be the only one with enough faith to fight them off. :haw:

Either that or Aya could always challenge said Russian demons to a vodka drinkoff.
The thing that throws me off about Natsuki is the first thing she really showed about her religious background was that 1.) she doesn't know what a rosary is and 2.) she's looking forward to the end times. Neither of these things puts me in a high opinion that she'll be our magical savior in case of demons.

azren posted:

Pontypool. Motherfucking Pontypool. It's one of the best recent horror movies I've seen (2010/2011, I think). It's hard to say a lot without giving stuff away, but it's about a group of people who work at a radio station in Canada, in the town of Pontypool, when people start behaving strangely. They get reports from people outside the studio, and it's a beautifully tense movie. I highly recommend it.

I also saw Poltergeist for the first time recently, and I was surprised at how well it seems to stand up after something like 30 years..

1408 is also really good.
Oh yeah, Pontypool was great (especially for a very minimalist horror story) and I'm pretty excited for it's sequels which are supposed to come out at some point. I was a bit taken a back thinking that these would be some cheap, cash-in sequels, but little did I know that Pontypool was actually based on novels. So here's to hoping it won't be utter poo poo.

Did you happen to see the Poltergeist remake that came out recently? I thought it was....'alright'. It just felt unnecessary and the attempts they made to modernize it all seemed super forced (like using a smart phone to sense ghostly activity or using a flying drone to go into the loving afterlife). If anything, I always enjoy Sam Rockwell; that guy needs to be in more movies.

And 1408 was some great schlocky fun; I think that John Cusack can do some good work in horror movies and I stand by that Identity was a good movie.

RickVoid posted:

I know I haven't said it (even if it's obvious) but I'm enjoying the hell out of this, Niggurath.
Really glad you're enjoying it; this was a fun game to stream but knowing exactly what happens makes things even better. And I'm glad that I can show it off to you guys.

• Locked thread