Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Blue Train posted:

you feed an image into a computer and ask it to look for patterns it recognizes, like buildings animals faces whatever. it enhances those features, and then you feed the resulting image back in and run the same process over again. after this happens a bunch of times you get enhancements/visualizations of what the computer defines as whatever you were looking for

the loving white noise ones are incredible

easily confused with creativity, but then what is creativity except noise in a neural network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

So all those Nintendo cartridge glitches I saw when the cart had dust on it or was bumped are art. Huh.

sorry 'bout yer brain

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

evolutionary geometric image matching thingamashits

link?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

i want to play this map

what game doesnt matter

no don't you see that's just nintendo glitch noise

gnarlyhotep posted:

In my opinion, the first measure of true computer generated art will be in music and not the visual arts.

I say this because I find it hard to believe a current AI could generate anything like Bach or especially Chopin. Music that evokes a deep emotional reaction.

That's kind of here. The music isn't evocative on that level, not even close, but people can't tell if it's made by a person or not.

Oh these. Yeah, s'pretty cool but the deep dream white noise stuff is better imo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

pfffft look at this amature hour undergrad cv padder poo poo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

Also I have never been on LSD or hallucinated so I guess now I have a better idea how what that looks like beep boop beep boop is this what it's like to be human

aahhhh okay now it all makes sense

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i'm halfway tempted to just do a tour of one of those images in closeup, curated frames because it evokes a hundred different intricate and interwoven scenes in a similar way to impressionism from a totally automated process. it's awesome, even if it emerged from longstanding methods.

a computer took noise and turned it into a hyperdimensional array of pagodas and icebergs and bismuth caves and fountains and emerald fields forever

loving goooons

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

seen it

you should take some psychedelics though, seriously, unless you've got existing brain problems or whatever

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

nightmare locust penis

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Moxie posted:

Creativity is actually a fairly easy to understand process, wherein two or more preexisting concepts are combined to form new ideas. A strong new idea will connect to many other old ideas, and if your brain is suited to the task it's pretty exciting stuff. I don't think we see computer creativity demonstrated in these images, but the programming is awesome.

Yeah I know, and recombinatory creativity has an element of randomness, or unpredictability, to it. Rarely do people go "I'm gonna combine X with Y to make Z!" unless they're hacks, the inspiring stuff is more serendipitous than that.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

If anything this thread has made me question how many goons suffer from a lack of pareidolia, due to crippling autism no doubt

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

next hellraiser lookin' good

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

someone run this through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8NvjdBt5n0

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

where are you guys getting quick upload returns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

• Locked thread