Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'll play this. It sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Hello! I just woke up, but can happily say that I can confirm.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

hello QPQ how are you.

hey qpq did you see in my game people were racist against occitan people (and by proxy Basques and of course Bretons) and I thought of france sim.

I am tired but otherwise healthy!

I saw those posts and your Crusader Kings character. Everyone looks like they are having fun.

Sometimes I think about doing another NationSim but it really is a massive amount of effort to put together. FranceSim was exhausting, especially as people started abandoning the country en amasse for the Americas. I have something based on the Russian Revolution floating around GoogleDocs, and another game based on the Kingdom of Jerusalem. I probably won't run either, but I still toy with the statblocks from time to time.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Keane, are you as charming in real life as you appear in your avatar?

Who is that in your avatar?

is it u

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

it really is. the only one I ran that actually met to completion was the Indian Springs one you played in, and that one I think was really, really good, but mostly because it was so small-scale, and had a built-in end-date. my grenada one was pretty much D.O.A. :/

I can confirm it is him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad,_the_Weird

Indian Springs was fun! I just wish I could have killed more Yankees and racists, maybe using my mill.

The other issue with NationSims is that you need a player base that won't immediately abandon when the game starts. There was a brief period in which NationSims seemed to be a regular thing, and began developing an experienced playerbase. I don't know if a game run now would last long, due to player abandonment.

I think the last game I played in was Maher's Hope, which was a moon colony NationSim. I am really disappointed it never went anywhere, because I was secretly an advanced computer program masquerading as the colony's founder using Weekend at Bernie's style shenanigans.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Also adding that movie to my "Must Watch" list.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Birdstrike posted:

Are you not entertained?

No.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

hiiiii merk

how are you?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

wow

golly

sooooooo coooooool

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

I have never been entertained.

Not once.

a vicious lie

CCKeane posted:

Hooray!!!

behind your mask of apathy and indifference is a beautiful person that is entertained by the world around them

let it go, keane. let it go.

don't hold it back anymore.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

##challenge

yaaaay

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

##challenge

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

hey I'm going to go brush my teeth and floss and then maybe take a nap wake me up when it's started ok??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIlR0rX3Zx8

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

I want someone to mod a steven universe-themed game so I can play in it.

Add Steven and the Gems into CK2 using the character creator

problem solved

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

you can even install the "After the End" mod and make MAYOR DEWEY count of Delmarva, with steven and co in his court.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Submitted ~~~ <3

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EXAKT Science posted:

RULES ADDENDUM:
If you do not submit an action withing five minutes of the first player of the round to submit, you forfeit your action for that round.

CPig and QPQ I still need your actions for this round. You have untill 11:00

Pig you should be able to post in the chat sheet.

Sorry, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to submit yet.

My action should be in now.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

let me help you with that key bird

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

OmegaGoo posted:

Um, whoops.

On a related note, dammit Roy! You were supposed to win!

Joke or did you have a reason for wanting Roy to win?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Murmur Twin posted:

On the surface, Keane would have us think that he isn't invested in the outcome. That, of course, begs the question: why enter a tournament that he doesn't care about?

Looking carefully at his posts, I feel like he is making this up to cover up something deeper:

I think these quotes prove that Keane is emotionally invested, and suspect that he is trying to go unnoticed so that he can sneak his way towards the finish.

I call. ##vote CCKeane

Murmur, can you clarify if this is a real case or not? I got the sense you were joking about Keane's laissez-faire attitude in the same way I did earlier (1), but PMom and CPig's reactions (2) (3) are throwing me off.

The initial votes strike me as overeager.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Opopanax posted:

But what makes it scummy?

Opop is a good guy asking good questions. Like his engagement with P_Mom. Don't agree with his vote on P_Mom. After reading a little further along, her exasperation ~~feels~~~ genuine (1) (2) [urhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731165&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post448041667](3)[/url]. I get the sense of a townie that got a strong gut read and has zeroed in.

Murmur Twin posted:

"Horrible no-good" or scummy? Or do you consider them synonymous?

Murmur Twin posted:

I would argue that making a case at this point in the game, no matter how paper-thin, is pro-town.

I think sitting back silently and waiting for other people to make cases is something scum would do, and is likely doing right now as we speak.

u r dumb.

Roydrowsy posted:

Why would Goo want me to win? What are you talking about Goo?

Also, it was never my intention to win the game, it was my goal to finish with a key in hand and get an "item" as a result.

I did what I had intended to do. If you were invested in my victory, you might have wanted to say something.

Hey... Didn't goo become hated? Perhaps they have a way to wager on these contests. Could that be it?

Is Goo the Pete Rose of Mafia?

I have a massive headache right now, but there's something that reads as tonally off about Roy's post here. I'm not entirely sure how to articulate it, but I get the ~~~vibe~~~ of someone that wants to post, but really has nothing to say. I find it odd that Roy doesn't provide any substantive content until Murmur provides him with an easy target (1).

Does anyone else get this vibe?

Murmur Twin posted:

While I appreciate that people thought my case on Keane was genuine, I'm curious how people took it seriously when I took the above quote and pasted it as

I'm sure people have figured this out at this point but the goal was just to put out something for people to react to and judge accordingly.

##vote KB
Oh, hey, thank you for clarifying and confirming my initial read! <3

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yuming posted:

She did clarify~

Does anyone else think Ecco is scummy? Take a look please.

I am trying to read as I go, so I missed the explanation until I went to the next page.

As an aside, I'm having real dfficulty reading and writing right now and I apologize if any of the above is poorly phrased. Let me know if there is confusion so htat I can clarify later. Going to go sit down for a little bit before trying to continue.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Feeling much better! Let's begin again.

Roydrowsy posted:

Why would Goo want me to win? What are you talking about Goo?

Also, it was never my intention to win the game, it was my goal to finish with a key in hand and get an "item" as a result.

I did what I had intended to do. If you were invested in my victory, you might have wanted to say something.

Hey... Didn't goo become hated? Perhaps they have a way to wager on these contests. Could that be it?

Is Goo the Pete Rose of Mafia?

Upon revisiting this post, I think I can better explain why it set me off. The first three lines strike me as defensive. There's no reason for Roy to distance himself from Goo, nor any reason to explain his motives in last night's challenge. While claiming "it was never my intention to win the game" appears to be pro-town, it doesn't make sense on second thought. What sort of player would not play to win? Protection from the lynch is protection from the lynch. Saying that you had no intent to win is defending behavior that needs no defending.

Roydrowsy posted:

This stuff you pointed out, it seems more like dramatic flavor play than anything. Perhaps they are playing Nicholas Cage from Leaving Los Vegas, or an emo kid.

So in that regard I think your argument is off at this point. (Unless it's a ploy to use nihilism as a way to hide lovely actions) which will take some time to show.

But I don't think looking at this as a case is bad. I think initiating the serious scum hunt is good for business.

And then there's this post, which is just repeating objections that were previously raised in a slightly different packaging before doubling back. It's meaningless and meandering. I don't know what Roy's position actually is, and her following posts leave me even further confused as to what her position actually is.

Roydrowsy posted:

I like this less.

Roydrowsy posted:

I am not above posting things to seek out reactions fro. Which to make judgement, but typically I ask for people to try and clarify and summarize information.

This feels more like a "trick" which puts you in a position to label people scummy for not having seen through your trick, it leaves things too open to your interpretation.

I don't know if I find it scummy, but i don't like it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

Look at her case. Look at how patently unreasonable it was. Look at people saying they like it, and how artificial that opinion has to be.

Why do you think Murmur's case was serious, given its content, her voting on KB for supporting it, and her subsequent clarification?

OmegaGoo posted:

So what was your reasoning here? I understand items are nice, and hell, they might help town in general, but why not try to actually win?

Omega brings up the exact same issue that I referred to (1). Liking that I'm not the only person to notice the weirdness of such a confession.

Murmur Twin posted:

My vote wasn't based on your changing your opinion of Keane, it was based on your liking a bad case that supported your opinion (which made me think it may be fabricated). While I'm not sure what you mean by "flailing", I admit the vote is as flimsy as D1 cases usually are.

King Burgundy posted:

My reason for voting Keane was exactly the same as yours minus some words. You didn't think it was worth a vote initially. But now you do. To me that looks like you are trying anything to get out of the pressure you were under since I hadn't actually done anything new. Aka flailing.

Getting a greater sense of "flailing" from KB than Murmur because KB is doubling down on a lovely joke case that literally no one likes. Get the sense of trapped scum trying to divert attention to another member of their bandwagon after the experiment goes sour.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's Anarc, Opop, and KB. Thank me after the game.

Cool. Please elaborate.

King Burgundy posted:

I also agree with Opop on this. Pmom is prolly scum.

Cool. Please elaborate.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Birdstrike posted:

I don't think you get to question anyone's intent to win after you sat in the corner after picking up an item key.

you are just mad because i ate you

and my point is, "why defend yourself for something that doesn't need to be defended?" Saying "oh noooooo, i didn't really want to win" just comes off as superficially townie to me imho.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Okay, I'm caught up. There's not much on the previous page that really catches my attention/necessitates a direct reply except:

EccoRaven posted:

##vote opop sincerevote. your posting is weirding me out.

Cool. Please elaborate.

Thus, I am happy to ##vote: Roy right now.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I don't really like all the flavor posts going on. Seems like an easy way for scum to hide in plain sight by posting but not saying anything.

Do you think it is probable that scum are avoiding content via flavor?

Is there anyone in particular that you are referring to?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

King Burgundy posted:

Interesting. And you feel the same way after my most recent posts on the subject?

Yeah, I still do. Your posts build pressure on Murmur without putting forth reasonable effort to understand her motivations. What, for example, does Murmur gain through "a dishonest interpretation" of the votes against her (1) (2). In what way does that benefit scum? It might be weird, but I cannot fathom how "dishonest interpretation" of that incident is helpful. It's taking anti-liar policy to an extreme.

You engage in a similarly thoughtless attack later on, when you discuss Murmur's motivations for voting you (3). It is not contradictory to accuse you of blindly supported a bad case (4) and saying that you supported a case without reading it (5). Based on her clarification (6), Murmur's meaning seems pretty straightforward: Her case was never intended to be serious, and if you thought it was a good case then you clearly never read it.

"Flailing" might not be the best word to use, but I do think you are being exploitative and I'm still struggling to explain why you are caught on a hella dumb flavor case against Keane (7).

OmegaGoo posted:

Yeah, so I'd vote for Yuming, Merk, or Garth, just based on amount of content. (Yeah yeah, replacements and such, but still).

Yuming is an extremely low content poster, regardless of alignment.

Know nothing about Garth, but I assume he's a newbie player.

Merk typically does a bunch of weird flavor stuff D1 before swinging back around and playing for reals. Nothing about his posts thus far ring as off to me.

Also, lurker votes are baaaaaaaad.

Roydrowsy posted:

damnit i typed a response and it deleted itself.
First part....

Saying I had no intent to win is just me being honest about what happened. I have explained this. The contest was a 1 in 8 shot to win a prize i had a 1 in 17 chance of needing.
I could play those odds, or go for the 1 in 4 shot of winning a 'mystery prize' I looked at the odds, and chose the better odds.

Second part..
I have tried to make my posts meaningful, but I have been trying to make sure that my count went up so I didn't get replaced, as I saw that my posting was a bit short at the start of the day.

But, here is another thing that I have already explained in this game.

I don't know how other people put their posts together, but here is my process.
I read a bunch of stuff. I click the button to reply. Then I type as I think through it all. I attempt to type and publish all of my ideas. I will point out, as best I can, the things I do and do not like. Just because I don't like something does not mean I have made the decision that it is scummy. If you are unsure about my position, feel free to ask. Typically, I don't throw my votes around all that much. I'm not much for voting to put pressure on people.

my Goo vote is a joke so ##unvote

There are things I need to review before I try and post a new vote.. I am still going over everything from the day.

did you just confess to posting just so that you could have a higher post count

and now that you've chided me for not understanding your positions, would you please tell me your positions

because my previous post about not understanding your positions was intended to get you to explain those positions, not explain to me that you can explain those positions.

thx

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Here. Catching up.

Caught merk's case on yuming. Can someone explain the Narc case?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

She hasn't made a single case (or, indeed, scum call!) all game, and all her opinions are made up ("imgay is contributing", "murmur is scum hunting" re: her case on Keane that was basically bolding words at random and calling it a case)

Didn't Narc literally the exact same way as a townie in one of Ecco's games?

FAKE EDIT: The game I am thinking of is Misery of Madriu where Narc was town+. She somehow survived to the end despite everyone thinking she was hella scummy and providing close to 0 content.

Narc's behavior is bad, but there's nothing particularly special about it based on what I remember.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

guys please dont lynch yuming or narc until they get a change to post stuff

also, please do this:

CCKeane posted:

Narco can you case two or three people quickly? Just gut calls are fine.

going to look over yuming now.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

There is nobody in the world more familiar with Anarc's play in Misery in Madrid than I am. This is is different.

Can you try to elaborate? I'm struggling to remember details of the game and don't really have time to read through myself.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

What I get out of yuming's post history: a bunch of shallow ~~vague~~ stuff that doesn't go anywhere. The only things that stick out to me are her failure to vote for Murmur after calling him suspicious and her promises to deliver cases that never happen. As a whole, though, I don't get a strong scum vibe from her posting. As mentioned before, a lot of her stuff seems to fit yuming's meta.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Who is here currently (and will be here for the deadline)? I want a show of hands.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TMMadman posted:

I am still here and Segur is watching.

who is segur?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

uuuguggggghghhhhhhhhh...

I trust merk's gut. There's more issues with yuming than Narc.

##vote: yuming

Yuming, now would be the time to claim and post whatever cases you have

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

pets are dumb

yuming doesn't seem to be browsing, and based on what i know about her i dont expect her to show up

still, please dont hammer until the last minute

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

Well I'm not lion.

Are you lion about that, Keane?

While you've been lion around, we've been discussing important issues.

lion

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

VOTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P