Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

I'd be so torn. I'm Canadian and want the Jays to succeed because of stupid nationalism...but I'm a Cards fan who supports Satan in all his endeavours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

In addition to a starting pitcher, the Cubs have been linked to outfielders by a lot of (non-Assman22) sources.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hope the Giants mostly stand pat rather than making any big moves, but they barely have anything of worth in the farm system these days anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They won't do poo poo, and that's fine. The Upton and Zobrist rumors are silly; Giants don't need a corner OF since Aoki's expected back before the end of the month. Other than that there are no glaring holes in the lineup. A few months ago I thought they might go after a third baseman at the deadline but Duffy's earned that job even though he's probably playing over his head. They have too many starting pitchers; Tim and Tim are on the DL with blatantly obvious phantom injuries, and there'll be a roster crunch when they return. Maybe a reliever? I'd loving love Chapman but it's not going to happen. This is the org that's kept it's bullpen largely intact for like 5 years.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To me, the Giants only have one good pitcher (Madbum, and he's having a down year so far) and a bunch of average to bad guys and are hanging in the playoff race based off their offense. If they feel like they want to compete this year I could see them acquiring a pitcher of some kind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'd loving love Chapman but it's not going to happen.

I think this is everybody's feeling on Chapman.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Dubious posted:

Terry Ryan,

Don't trade Plouffe. That is all.

I dunno. If the Brewers are stupid enough to trade Lucroy, Plouffe wouldn't be a bad piece to send back seeing how they have nobody to play 3rd after this year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Infidel Castro posted:

I dunno. If the Brewers are stupid enough to trade Lucroy, Plouffe wouldn't be a bad piece to send back seeing how they have nobody to play 3rd after this year.

Why would it be stupid for the Brewers to trade Lucroy? imo that should be their #1 goal before the deadline. They're not going to compete next season and he's a FA after '16, his contract is extremely team friendly for the next 1.5 seasons so he should command a very solid return.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think regardless of where they are in the standings the Red Sox are going to make a trade for a pitcher with a couple of years of control (which is obviously easier said than done). If for no other reason than to help solidify next year's rotation, since they seem unwilling to spend the money it will take to get Cueto or any other FA of his ilk.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tadashi posted:

In addition to a starting pitcher, the Cubs have been linked to outfielders by a lot of (non-Assman22) sources.

Coghlan/Deno platoon has been fine. Fowler has been crap, but the coolest move would be to bring up Schwarber to mash dingers and lumber arojnd in Dunn-like ineffectiveness in left

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

Why would it be stupid for the Brewers to trade Lucroy? imo that should be their #1 goal before the deadline. They're not going to compete next season and he's a FA after '16, his contract is extremely team friendly for the next 1.5 seasons so he should command a very solid return.

I agree with this entirely. But the Brewers FO is very delusional and they might want to keep him around so they can "compete" next season. They should also be looking to see if anyone wants a year and a half of Carlos Gomez.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Harlock posted:

To me, the Giants only have one good pitcher (Madbum, and he's having a down year so far) and a bunch of average to bad guys and are hanging in the playoff race based off their offense. If they feel like they want to compete this year I could see them acquiring a pitcher of some kind.

San Fran doesn't have the prospects to land Cueto or Hamels or Shields, we can cross those guys off. So we're talking about trading for a Mike Leake or Dan Haren, right? Here's the SPs currently on the roster:

MadBum
Heston
Peavy
Cain
Vogelsong
Tim L.
Tim H.

Chris Heston's been our second best pitcher and his spot is secure. They owe Peavy $15M next year and Matt Cain more than forty million over the next two seasons, followed by an option year; those guys are going to pitch. Would the upgrade from Vogelsong to Mike Leake be worth giving up prospects and having to cut two of Vogey/Timmy/Tim and eat the rest of their contracts? Can't send any of them to the minors, either.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

It's mostly that the fanbase has completely attached to him as the new face. People are kinda burnt out on Braun between the steroids and the constant injury problems. Lucroy only has one of those issues. The Brewers absolutely need to rebuild, but you still need to get people coming into the park in the meantime, and they haven't really built up people like Scooter Gennett or Jean Segura to be that face of the franchise guy.

I think the Brewers should trade Lind, Parra, and try to trick someone into taking Lohse. Parra's numbers this year will command a good return, and if they want Khris Davis to be their LF into the future, they need to let him play every day and get his poo poo worked out. Jason Rogers isn't quite the hitter Lind is, but he's acquitted himself nicely when he's actually been allowed to play. Lind's also looking shiny this year, so hopefully we can get something back for that. Lohse is just straight up broken and Taylor Jungmann should get his spot when Peralta comes back, but maybe we can flip him for something useful if we can convince a GM that he just needs a change of scenery.

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

Poque posted:

Lucroy has an extremely cheap option for 2017 and trading him to fill a gap at the big league level creates an even bigger hole at catcher.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Pussy Boss posted:

San Fran doesn't have the prospects to land Cueto or Hamels or Shields, we can cross those guys off. So we're talking about trading for a Mike Leake or Dan Haren, right? Here's the SPs currently on the roster:

MadBum
Heston
Peavy
Cain
Vogelsong
Tim L.
Tim H.

Chris Heston's been our second best pitcher and his spot is secure. They owe Peavy $15M next year and Matt Cain more than forty million over the next two seasons, followed by an option year; those guys are going to pitch. Would the upgrade from Vogelsong to Mike Leake be worth giving up prospects and having to cut two of Vogey/Timmy/Tim and eat the rest of their contracts? Can't send any of them to the minors, either.
Tim Hudson should probably just be released at this point and Lincecum is a bullpen arm if you're trying to salvage any of that money. I didn't realize Jake Peavy had another year. Sounds like they're stuck with all those jerks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dubious posted:

Terry Ryan,

Don't trade Plouffe. That is all.

What exactly in his history makes you think he would?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Lincecum and Hudson would both be DFA'd by now if one wasn't the former franchise ace pitcher and the other wasn't an older pitcher at the end of his career.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Coghlan/Deno platoon has been fine. Fowler has been crap, but the coolest move would be to bring up Schwarber to mash dingers and lumber arojnd in Dunn-like ineffectiveness in left

I feel like if the Cubs had even the slightest glimmer of hope that Schwarber could play in the outfield, then this hilariously bad project of trying to force him to become a catcher never happens.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Poque posted:

Trading Gomez should be their goal. He'd probably get a comparable package in return, and it's pretty much a sure thing that he won't be in Milwaukee after next year. Lucroy has that '17 team option for $5.25m, and everyone seems to already think he's gonna go somewhere else after that. Granted his salary is gonna go up considerably at that point, but as long as the team isn't a barren wasteland going into 2018 I think Milwaukee can re-sign him.

Now with that said, if they want to send him up I-94 for Plouffe, Arcia, and a prospect not named Sano, Buxton, or Berriois, I'd be more than happy.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 16, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Infidel Castro posted:

Trading Gomez should be their goal. He'd probably get a comparable package in return, and it's pretty much a sure thing that he won't be in Milwaukee after next year. Lucroy has that '17 team option for $5.25m, and everyone seems to already think he's gonna go somewhere else after that. Granted his salary is gonna go up considerably at that point, but as long as the team isn't a barren wasteland going into 2018 I think Milwaukee can re-sign him.

The 'face of the franchise' + '17 option make sense. I wasn't aware of the option so yeah, if they can reasonably compete in '17 (any team should be able to AT LEAST be competitive in a three year span) then keep him around. Gomez is definitely somebody they should trade, preferably to the Cubs.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Harlock posted:

Tim Hudson should probably just be released at this point and Lincecum is a bullpen arm if you're trying to salvage any of that money. I didn't realize Jake Peavy had another year. Sounds like they're stuck with all those jerks.

Ultimately I'd rather they punt this year and try and fix the rotation in free agency rather than give up anything of value. It really is the Beltran situation all over again, except with pitching instead of offense and they don't have a piece like Wheeler to deal anymore (ignoring what's happened to Wheeler since that deal).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Spoeank posted:

Giants splash moves don't work (Beltran). They just sacrifice a chicken over a Bonds jersey, burn a Barry Zito rookie card and commit to a blood sacrifice the following season. Only then do the gods show them what scrub tier player on waivers will play out of their mind to lead them to glory.

The soothsayers have returned: Everth Cabrera

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Pussy Boss posted:

We're not talking super prospects here. They don't have any.

The question really is do you flip Susac at the trade deadline, or wait until the offseason when more stuff is available? Susac is too good to just be playing just once a week, some teams (the kind that aren't interested in winning right now, admittedly) could probably use a starter like him. His job is better suited to some kind of veteran catcher who has defensive talent still but can't be depending on for more than the periodic Buster At First start at their age.

This is the exact opposite of the problem they created with Hector Sanchez, who needed to be playing every day in a development league instead of hanging out and watching MLB games from the sidelines 80% of the season.

Spoeank posted:

The soothsayers have returned: Everth Cabrera
This just leads me to believe that they'll try to keep Susac until the offseason, and see what spare parts they can get for Ehire Adrianza instead.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 16, 2015

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If the Giants manage to get anything for Adrianza I will laugh

Then again they got Scutaro for Charlie Culberson, but that was even year so the dark magicks were in full effect

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grozz Nuy posted:

If the Giants manage to get anything for Adrianza I will laugh

Then again they got Scutaro for Charlie Culberson, but that was even year so the dark magicks were in full effect

They got Angel Pagan for Andres Torres. And then had both of them together a year later. Stupid poo poo happens.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

:cool: here we go :cool:

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2015

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

"A source" in the Rangers FO told one of the beat writers that there's no traction with a Hamels deal and if they were going to do the trade it would've already been done, but I always take those kinds of statements from them with a grain of salt.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking forward to Everth Cabrera being a playoff hero for the Giants in 2016.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
As above-expectation the Cubs season has been, I really dread them making moves for two month rentals that trade away farm talent when the realistic ceiling this year is the WC1 slot and barring the most un-Cubs run in the last century somewhere between one and five playoff games this season.

Let the playoffs happen this year (or not!) and make moves in 2016-17 when the target is probably 'best team in baseball' instead of 'sneak into the WC and see if we get hot.'

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Frankly the BTIB thing hasn't worked out for the Cubs in recent history so why not try the sneaky wild card method

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Nut Bunnies posted:

Frankly the BTIB thing hasn't worked out for the Cubs in recent history so why not try the sneaky wild card method

Sneaky wild card doesn't work either, they got crushed 0-3 in 1998 after winning a play-in over SF.

It's really depressing to know that in my lifetime the Cubs are 10-22 in the playoffs (and 6 of those 10 are from 2003)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Doug Melvin was in the broadcast booth for the Brewers yesterday, and it sounds like he's not even shopping anyone. Gerardo Parra is putting up insane numbers and hasn't offered him to anyone. He said a bunch of stuff about how they're a "young team", and it sounded like he's convinced that the first half of the season was a fluke and they're going to try to contend next year without making any real roster moves. Ugh.

If the owners weren't cheap and I though they'd go buy 3 quality starters in the offseason, I could maybe be OK with that, but as it stands they need to shop guys like Parra and Lind aggressively while they're having great years.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Doug Melvin was in the broadcast booth for the Brewers yesterday, and it sounds like he's not even shopping anyone. Gerardo Parra is putting up insane numbers and hasn't offered him to anyone. He said a bunch of stuff about how they're a "young team", and it sounded like he's convinced that the first half of the season was a fluke and they're going to try to contend next year without making any real roster moves. Ugh.

If the owners weren't cheap and I though they'd go buy 3 quality starters in the offseason, I could maybe be OK with that, but as it stands they need to shop guys like Parra and Lind aggressively while they're having great years.

While standing pat under the assumption that "we can compete next year" is the most Brewers fuckin' thing imaginable, I would not ever read into anything Melvin says. He's notoriously tight-lipped as a GM, and the more he insists something isn't happening, the more likely that it is.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Royals IN on Jay Bruce?

quote:

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughStar
Several rival execs speculating about Jay Bruce as a KC target. FWIW, heard Reds scouts have had eyes on Omaha, NWA recently.

Has to be an improvement over Alex Rios...

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
So the Pirates have the 2nd-best record in the NL but of course they need to pass the Cards if they want to avoid the play-in game, and they have a significant home/away split so home-field for any series would be an extra boon. Should they make the push this year to collect some splashy pitching and infield depth, or given the Cards advantages (up 4.5, 6.5 better by RS/RA differential, more home games left than Pitt), would you consider it a better choice to make small deals and aim for 2016-17? A lot of the team is on one-year deals this year, including Burnett, Walker, and Alvarez, and their salary total is over 90M$ which is by far the highest in years so if they make some moves and keep their internal cap at least that high then they'll have flexibility this summer in terms of managing contracts and re-upping existing players versus taking on existing contracts.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Pirates absolutely need to go for it right now, and I write that as someone who wants the Cardinals to win the division so they don't have to face Madison Bumgarner or Jacob deGrom in a one-game playoff.

The Cardinals are absolutely vulnerable thanks to their various injuries and inability to generate offense from the 1B position. If the Pirates got Adam Lind, they'd solve their Alvarez issues (though it's a shame Lind and Alvarez are both lefties) and also keep the Cardinals from getting probably the only real impact 1B bat on the market.

If I'm the Pirates, I worry about how I deal with the 2016-and-onward Cubs and Cardinals on November 1 2015. Win now and avoid the one-game playoff, and you have as good a chance as anyone of winning the whole thing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
For all the pitching and infield talk, the only substantial rumor as of yet has the Pirates interested in Justin Upton.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

polanco hasn't been THAT bad, has he?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

What exactly in his history makes you think he would?

Nothing, that's just my open letter to Terry Ryan because I like Plouffe. We're on a good trajectory and I don't really think Terry will gently caress it up.

I'd like to see us make a move for a catcher, Lucroy would be nice, but I really have no idea how the Twins will work the deadline this year with such an emphasis on letting the young kids play.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The Mariners are all in with their amazing lineup. They're perfectly happy with that Trumbo trade.

We need help. Anybody want a great GM or a manager that has Chris Taylor bunt in front of Mike Zunino?

edit: I like Lloyd and I hate this revolving door manager poo poo they've been doing since Sweet Lou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dubious posted:

I'd like to see us make a move for a catcher, Lucroy would be nice, but I really have no idea how the Twins will work the deadline this year with such an emphasis on letting the young kids play.

Yankees got two catchers doing real well in the minors and he's probably all yours for the low low price of one 2B who can hit better than Stephen Drew and Brendan Ryan!

• Locked thread