Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Konsek posted:

Serious post: I am not from the USA and have no idea how the system there works. Do you seriously have to pay for basic rights like healthcare and not dying? Six figures? Also:

You have to pay to give birth?

Do you also have to pay just to see your GP?

Uninsured right now. 90$ upfront of they'll refuse to see you. It also never costs less than 90$ and I've never had to wait less than an hour despite always having an appointment. Last appointment I had was due to a rash caused by medication and that plus a steroid shot and "other fees" ran me about 150$.

Self-bought insurance isn't much better, there's only a weird deadzone where the actual benefits the insurance pays out eclipse what you pay in premiums and it's typically somewhere in the millions of dollars.

Unless you have a "career" job at a major company if something actually really super bad happens your options are empty your life savings and/or go bankrupt or die. Maybe just die anyway if you get something expensive like cancer that the hospital can weasel out of giving you knowing you can't pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
No, it's not perfect, and if I were to shell out the extra few bucks I could take the 5% option. But I don't plan on loving with any rattlesnakes n the future till time comes that I can modify my insurance. And while yeah, 15k still blows, it's a hell a lot better than 150k

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

No, it's not perfect, and if I were to shell out the extra few bucks I could take the 5% option. But I don't plan on loving with any rattlesnakes n the future till time comes that I can modify my insurance. And while yeah, 15k still blows, it's a hell a lot better than 150k

Either amount is unpayable for the majority of americans, does it matter how many zeroes it has?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

What about things you don't plan on?

And there's plenty of medical procedures that are way more than 150k. Remember when the CEO of AOL complained that an employee's sick baby cost them over a million dollars in medical costs?

So you'd owe over $100,000 in your situation. Is that still doable? Not trying to be snarky.

• Locked thread