Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can you tell us a little bit about the house buying process? If my parents told me to buy a house with a hundred thousand dollars in debt and one of the two potential breadwinners still in school, I would explain to them that I would buy a house after I had paid down my existing bad debt. Was that not an option for some reason?

The problem is with your debt load of consumer debt PLUS your debt load of the house, if anything goes wrong in your life you are hosed. (or running to the in-laws for money, which is probably not optimal)

I agree with all the other posters that you need to track spending history. Look at some other BFC threads to understand how hard it is to change habits (knyteguy etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Did you just completely ignore the cost and affordability aspect, or what?

If you really wanted your own place, there are people who own houses that will let you rent the house with limited financial risk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

While I agree that the house is purchased so you can't do anything about it specifically, what happens if your father in law decides you should have a new car? Or go on a cruise with the rest of the family? How do you plan to avoid being convinced to spend money you don't have?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I came to the realization that having less poo poo actually was more rewarding to me than buying some poo poo, with the bonus that my spending decreased.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Well, if it's partial months that combine to make a rolling 30, you should just account for it as a single 30 day period. I can see how people would think it was disingenuous, even if that wasn't your intent. The format presented makes it look like a 61 day period.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You appear to realize it with your last sentence but it doesn't really matter what you specifically spend the seven hundred dollars on. You could have spent it on 186 bushels of corn instead of a PC; what matters is you spending the money that you can't really afford to spend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

signalnoise posted:

If you aren't going to keep up with the time frame, being before and after I started giving a poo poo, then why are you giving advice

post some evidence that you "giving a poo poo" has made a meaningful impact on your spending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It is really hard to just say "hey, I made bad decisions in the past, and I recognize that they were bad, therefore I will not make them in the future" which is why people like have mad long threads in BFC and what not.

edit: but I am eagerly awaiting the next couple of months of spending reports

• Locked thread