Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Ouroborus posted:

B

It suggests to me Aurora has had some time with it's brains.

Aurora has fiddled with every gadget you have owned for as long as you can remember. It's usually for the better. Apparently she built a kill switch into your wrist comms at some point. She also likes to pull pranks, such as the time she programmed your toilet to be rather... Judgemental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Disargeria posted:

Aurora has fiddled with every gadget you have owned for as long as you can remember. It's usually for the better. Apparently she built a kill switch into your wrist comms at some point. She also likes to pull pranks, such as the time she programmed your toilet to be rather... Judgemental.
How many times has she broken our stuff in the process?

How well-off are our fleshy servantsfriends, anyway?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A Ice those fools.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
B, murderers are much more vigorously pursued than thieves.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Ralith posted:

How many times has she broken our stuff in the process?

How well-off are our fleshy servantsfriends, anyway?

She breaks things all the time, but she always either fixes it or replaces it.

Aurora comes from a rich family. Her parents are both politicians. You wonder how much of her personal wealth is actually legitimate between all of the politics and hacking. She's always had the latest devices and tends to give you her previous models. Her parents love her but are always busy and hardly around.

Churchill's family is middle class. He has several brothers and sisters. Churchill is probably the quietest one, and he's still very loud. He likes hanging out with you guys because it's so crazy around his house. He has to share a room with one of his brothers, so Aurora set him up with his own room at her house that he stays at sometimes.

The three of you usually hung out at Aurora's house because it was so much nicer and had more fun stuff. And her parents were like, never home.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Marry Aurora, have the ceremony at her parents place in our ship form

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

No, obviously Churchill is going to marry Aurora.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Polyamorously marry into some kind of space love triangle

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We're about to go off on wacky space adventures in a really crazy ship. Let's not go making commitments we may end up breaking later...

...That being said, we should absolutely declare that Eggbot is our one true love and get married to it, even if space society would condemn us

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Volmarias posted:

Polyamorously marry into some kind of space love triangle

Of the suggestions posed so far, this and spacing everyone are my two top contenders.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Kill Everyone But Also Marry Them Too

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
GO TO SPACE BURNING MAN

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I have a very important and serious question:

IS SPACE BURNING MAN A THING?

We could invent it if it isn't!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
So who are we burning? Maybe the engineer if he's not cooperative?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
After we save our friends go into a polygamous marriage at space burning man

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Vavrek posted:

I have a very important and serious question:

IS SPACE BURNING MAN A THING?

We could invent it if it isn't!

That's what the lasers are for, burning men. :supaburn:

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

ElrondHubbard posted:

We're about to go off on wacky space adventures in a really crazy ship. Let's not go making commitments we may end up breaking later...

...That being said, we should absolutely declare that Eggbot is our one true love and get married to it, even if space society would condemn us

If you think about it Eggbot is the female of the couple.

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Ouroborus posted:

If you think about it Eggbot is the female of the couple.

Eggbot's Ancestor:

https://youtu.be/hRGZMg4GWtg?t=2m23s

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.

I like that the reason people give for buying that thing is "It looked weird so I had to try it."
I am not even tempted to buy it and I normally love gadgets.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Now I can just imagine Eggbot squeezing one out onto my plate! mm!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Ouroborus posted:

I like that the reason people give for buying that thing is "It looked weird so I had to try it."
I am not even tempted to buy it and I normally love gadgets.

This loving thing is horrifying. Doesn't help that I can't stand the taste of eggs.

Reminds me of how a Sarlaac pit would take a poo poo.

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This loving thing is horrifying. Doesn't help that I can't stand the taste of eggs.

Reminds me of how a Sarlaac pit would take a poo poo.

That'd be a really slow poo poo if it digests things over a thousand years. Maybe that is where Tatooine's sands come from. Dessicated Sarlaac poo.

Ouroborus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Your body roars to life!

You can feel your friends standing on the center part of your upper hull, but you can't manipulate your hull to open. You open the doors instead and hope they can notice it, even though the doors are below them.

You find the communication channel the guards are using and blast the loudest noise you can think of. Maximum intensity. If one was to be able to listen without their eardrums exploding, they might make out something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-vREvJHH9Y

You can see the guards scream as the noise overwhelms their communication channels. Three of them remove their helmets but the fourth just collapses to the ground. You activate your side laser turret and unleash a small, weak volley aimed around the guards. Between the flashes of lasers and sounds of explosions, they are completely panicked and retreat to the door.

Eggbot, I need you here on the ship. Eggbot dutifully complies and drives up the ramp. You're not sure if he can really tell what's happening around him, but he does move very quickly for a little robot. Your friends notice the covering laser fire and Eggbot's escape and start climbing down the side of the ship to the door. Once they're safely inside, you seal the door behind them. You can't tell how far away the reinforcements are, but you ARE sure they aren't able to communicate on any local channels. You take a few shots at the door just in case.

Your thrusters ignite with a roar! It feels liberating in a way, as your hull lifts off the ground. You hover carefully to position your main cannon to point at the weak spot in the hangar door.

FWOOOOOSH

The main laser cannon bursts forth a brilliant beam of intense energy that makes contact with the door and obliterates a hole big enough to fit through. You brace your thrusters to hold against the impact of depressurization. Dozens of large cargo crates and containers blast through the hole, a couple hitting your ship. These bounce harmlessly off your hull as the room stabilizes. Once the pressure equalizes, you move towards the door. This is all coming together surprising well, isn't it? You bring your thrusters up to push yourself forward and glide through the new exit. You can see the vast expanse of space.

You know that the guards must have spacecraft, so you'll need to get away fast!

How are you going to get away?
a. Hail a cab!
b. Hide in the nearby asteroid belt to buy yourself time to charge a jump.
c. Just jump anyway! You can probably take a few minutes to charge a jump straight forward to an unknown spot in space.
d. Ah screw it. Spend the time to charge a jump to the nearest spaceport. There's one near Mars.
e. ... Or Jupiter.
f. Or Earth!
g. Just use your normal thrusters to get away!
h. Hang out around the shipyard.
i. Power down! All that excitement makes you really want to take a nap.

What are you going to do when you get away?
a. Explore space! Travel to distant galaxies and try and find things!
b. Space pirate! Rob merchants and acquire wealth!
c. Space merchant! Get robbed by pirates and acquire wealth!
d. Bounty hunt! Track down bounties and claim your reward!
e. Space seduce women across the galaxy.
f. Find out more about the ship and how it works. Who built it, why and how?
g. Write in.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

F

After we accomplish F we can move onto other goals, like seducing alien women as grand space pirate explorers.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Do we have a general understanding of what each of those options represents in terms of risks vs rewards? Also, do we have any idea what our supplies are?

SerSpook posted:

B

F

After we accomplish F we can move onto other goals, like seducing alien women as grand space pirate explorers.

Pretty much this.

We can just flip from one thing to the next as we see fit. If someone is nice to us we might do a quest for them in exchange for rewards. If someone's a jerk, then they can have a run in with Dread Space Pirate Esker, the creepy living pirate ship.

Should we make Eggbot our first mate? Or is he just the head chef for now?

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 30, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B, F, and see about creating an avatar that you can use for a surrogate body

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

BF
Also, are we able to disengage from the pod or are we stuck there now? I could see that putting a crimp on the whole seduction thing. Unless the creature in question is really into big guns.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Charge blindly forward!

Find out how our new body works.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
GF - they probably won't be able to catch up if we just accelerate away hard for a while, and that'll give us time to plan our next move

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Grognan posted:

GO TO SPACE BURNING MAN

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Also E

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B. F

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B, F, possible write-in? Figure out how we got word from Dad.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Gg vecffc

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
C A. Let's go get lost!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
CAE Later taters!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

C, DF. Take our space revenge and make some money at the same time!

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

If we go the C route, will we know where we are relative to other places when we arrive?

Can jumps be traced based on their origin?

Will we easily be able to make a jump to somewhere else after our initial jump in terms of resources?

Edit:

Changing my B vote to C

I'm assuming these jokers probably put a close range tracking device on their very expensive experimental ship and playing a rigged game of hide and seek with them might not be very fun.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 31, 2015

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

ElrondHubbard posted:

If we go the C route, will we know where we are relative to other places when we arrive?

Yes. Jumping involves connecting two points in space together, so you'd have to know where that other point is. The idea is that you don't care where you're going to, as long as it's to a reasonably safe distance directly in front of you.

quote:

Can jumps be traced based on their origin?

You can tell which direction a jump has happened, but not how far. A jump leaves a massive energy signature that can tell you a jump happened and the direction. It's hard to chase a jumper unless you knew exactly how much energy they used and it's hard to know that unless you knew how much time they spent charging the jump.

IF you witness the moment of charging, and assume that the power transfer is identical across most starships (it is), you can follow a jump exactly. Charging is extremely obvious because most ship systems have to shut down to be able to power the jump. Notably, shields lowered.

You could obfuscate this though. Drop shields before charging. Slow power transfer on purpose. Stuff like that would lead to them overshooting your actual coordinate.

quote:

Will we easily be able to make a jump to somewhere else after our initial jump in terms of resources?

You estimate that you have enough fuel to do a short jump and then a second, longer jump to just about anywhere in the galaxy, but you'll need to refuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Do we have enough fuel to do multiple jumps in system? Could we charge 2 minutes and jump, then charge 1 minute and jump in another direction, then jump to a station for fuel?

• Locked thread