Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah everybody else loves them dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Real Answer: movie studios haven't come up with a good, original plot in like 20 years, so that's why all movies are just rehashed comic books

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I have no strong feelings towards comic book movies because they seem deliberately designed to be the most neutral entertainment possible that is neither especially bad nor original or risky enough to be especially good. I am therefore incapable of having any emotional reaction to them and will forget everything that happenned within minutes of watching despite being mostly satisfied and entertained throughout. Despite this I like to inject my opinion into discussions about said films and franchises because lots of other people like to talk about them and I like to feel the easy sense of belonging derived from participating in discussions about such a prevalent cultural touchstone.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress comic books

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I loving hate comic books. I had a friend who stopped talking to me because I didn't like that Agents of SHIELD show.

I don't know if she stopped talking to half the Internet, or what.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Real Answer: movie studios haven't come up with a good, original plot in like 20 years, so that's why all movies are just rehashed comic books

Even if you like comic movies, that's actually kind of true. Every single Marvel plot known in pop culture is the plan.

They're out of things to adapt in novels, and they are scared shitless to actually take any risks, so really comic arcs are the last great untapped vein of stuff to adapt.

Moon Atari posted:

I have no strong feelings towards comic book movies because they seem deliberately designed to be the most neutral entertainment possible that is neither especially bad nor original or risky enough to be especially good. I am therefore incapable of having any emotional reaction to them and will forget everything that happenned within minutes of watching despite being mostly satisfied and entertained throughout. Despite this I like to inject my opinion into discussions about said films and franchises because lots of other people like to talk about them and I like to feel the easy sense of belonging derived from participating in discussions about such a prevalent cultural touchstone.

Continuing the trend of TV shows becoming more interesting than movies, I still think Daredevil on Netflix is the best thing Marvel's done in a while and think the whole Netflix series thing might end up being far more entertaining. It also means they hire actual stuntmen instead of just dropping in thousands of CGI dudes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 21, 2015

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i love comic book movies because i'm locked in a state of being mentally 10

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
You mean a film adaptation of White Noise wouldn't bring in 1.5 billion in ticket sales alone? What about the merchandising? Surely that would put it over the 1B mark, right?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

i love comic book movies because i'm locked in a state of being mentally 10

To be fair though does hits not apply to any other Summer blockbuster?

Hobohemian posted:

You mean a film adaptation of White Noise wouldn't bring in 1.5 billion in ticket sales alone? What about the merchandising? Surely that would put it over the 1B mark, right?

Merchandising is a big thing. Disney is absolutely insidious and genius, in a way.

Disney owns a lot of things. That's why, now, every single ABC show is going out of it's way to reference:

- Marvel
- Star Wars
- Disney Animation

... you might not even realize it's happening. Characters make off-hand comments, name dropping Captain America or The Force. Billboards have these things written in the background. Ads for other Disney properties liter bus stops.

It doesn't end there. While every single Disney asset they have going for them is encouraged to drop subtle, almost invisible advertisements meant to keep IPs and properties relevant, they also are forking money to networks and people they don't own to do the same.

As a result, you hear this stuff being brought up more and more; the more you see characters on TV treating some pop culture thing as a pop culture thing, and mentioning it exists, the more you think it's a pop culture thing. Like I said, it's pretty genius even if some people might feel differently if they start looking for it.

... so go ahead. Start listening specifically for referencing Disney projects casually. You're going to hear it, a lot.

ED: One ABC Marvel show apparently opened with a 30 second long shot of a room full of Star Wars stuff, so it's not always subtle, too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 21, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

it's a bit much indeed

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Advertisement of an existing thing is easy and effective and shared comics worlds provide brand synergy.

Also, China loves them.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bean posted:

I loving hate comic books. I had a friend who stopped talking to me because I didn't like that Agents of SHIELD show.

I don't know if she stopped talking to half the Internet, or what.

Agents of SHIELD started out really terrible, but it did eventually claw it's way to mediocrity.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Blazing Ownager posted:

Merchandising is a big thing. Disney is absolutely insidious and genius, in a way.

Disney owns a lot of things. That's why, now, every single ABC show is going out of it's way to reference:

- Marvel
- Star Wars
- Disney Animation

... you might not even realize it's happening. Characters make off-hand comments, name dropping Captain America or The Force. Billboards have these things written in the background. Ads for other Disney properties liter bus stops.

It doesn't end there. While every single Disney asset they have going for them is encouraged to drop subtle, almost invisible advertisements meant to keep IPs and properties relevant, they also are forking money to networks and people they don't own to do the same.

As a result, you hear this stuff being brought up more and more; the more you see characters on TV treating some pop culture thing as a pop culture thing, and mentioning it exists, the more you think it's a pop culture thing. Like I said, it's pretty genius even if some people might feel differently if they start looking for it.

... so go ahead. Start listening specifically for referencing Disney projects casually. You're going to hear it, a lot.

ED: One ABC Marvel show apparently opened with a 30 second long shot of a room full of Star Wars stuff, so it's not always subtle, too.

I see Disney on fruit sold at the grocery store, no joke. I'm so loving envious at how competently run that company is I wish I worked for them so I could get in on it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I saw a bag of Frozen branded tomatoes the other day. Really feels like they should've gone with snow peas, or maybe carrots for the snowmans nose.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They seem to be selecting the shittest of the poo poo heroes to make movies of at the moment.

Next up: Dog poo poo man, starring Rob Schneider.

Blazing Ownager posted:

- Marvel
- Star Wars
- Disney Animation

Doesn't work on me, I have never bought any of the lovely merchandise for any of those IPs. I do watch the movies though.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

spud posted:

Doesn't work on me, I have never bought any of the lovely merchandise for any of those IPs. I do watch the movies though.

That's because you aren't the target for the merch, your hypothetical children are.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

spud posted:

They seem to be selecting the shittest of the poo poo heroes to make movies of at the moment.

Next up: Dog poo poo man, starring Rob Schneider.

Haha how does it feel to have a movie about you?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

i lik to watch the big strong man go zoom and punch all da bad guys

so in response to your question op no i am not tired of super heroe movies

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
They need to churn out more predator and alien movies.

And also look into cloning Arnold so we can have a continuous flow of 80s Arnold type movies annually.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Super and Kickass were the only good ones anyways because in a way they were kinda riffing on the whole comic book movie trend.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like Iron Man and Captain America the most

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Haha how does it feel to have a movie about you?

Pretty good, I just wish I wasn't being played by Rob Schneider

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

Ork of Fiction posted:

Also, China loves them.

china eats that poo poo up, tons of stupid action with easily-ignored dialogue, every new american superhero movie plays in every theatre and every chinese kid buys nothing but merchandise. too big a market not to continue cashing in

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Love & Mercy is a good movie currently in theaters. I suggest go watching that as it has no super heroes in it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Kuato posted:

And also look into cloning Arnold so we can have a continuous flow of 80s Arnold type movies annually.

Sorry but big budget action is no longer able to have that level of violence and remain profitable, all disposable bad guys must be bloodless vaguely humanoid but not actually human cgi aliens/robots/zombies and the main villain should ideally die by their own hand accidentally.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

bobthedinosaur posted:

Super and Kickass were the only good ones anyways because in a way they were kinda riffing on the whole comic book movie trend.

Those were legit. Kick rear end 2 was terrible though. James Gunn directed Super so I'm glad he got his with Guardians.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
It's just the current trend and it's barfing money so you're just gonna have to stop watching them like literally look away.

Back when the comic book movie thing was just a few drops before the Hurricane of CGI Heroes, James Lileks wrote an article in the local paper amazed and gushing when they were making one or two per year. The comic scene was longtime shorthand for neckbeards so to get a couple of Good Movies was early fedora christmas.

Think of this dude:

Now imagine the fedora tipping stereotype of today getting a sympathetic movie made that's actually really good. Like - women fall over for this dude when he woos them charmingly (in an underdog position). It's only a matter of time.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
every one that isn't spiderman or batman sucks. the first captain america might be the worst movie i've ever seen. quick, we need a frozen super soldier to kill a jackoff with skin disease and a motorcycle. the fate of the world is at stake. loving dumb shits who ate that movie up should be sterilized.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there a Lobo movie yet

naem
May 29, 2011

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

every one that isn't spiderman or batman sucks. the first captain america might be the worst movie i've ever seen. quick, we need a frozen super soldier to kill a jackoff with skin disease and a motorcycle. the fate of the world is at stake. loving dumb shits who ate that movie up should be sterilized.

Captain murica winter solder had the best fight scene of all time, ever

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TACO_HERO posted:

china eats that poo poo up, tons of stupid action with easily-ignored dialogue, every new american superhero movie plays in every theatre and every chinese kid buys nothing but merchandise. too big a market not to continue cashing in

Stupid thing is, as if anyone in china would buy real merchandise.

"Mum, mum. Superman was great, can I have a Superman action figure?!"

gets this:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I've never read a comic book in my life. Do the funny pages count?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
But there's never not been Comic Book Movies or at least serials and TV shows on. In the 1920s and 30s we had Robin Hood and Zorro and a host of other pulp and swashbuckling movies taken from the equivalent of comic books at the time. In the 1940s we had the Batman serials, the Superman Serial and the Fleischer Superman cartoons. In the 1950s we had Superman on TV for 8 years. In the 1960s we had Batman and the Green Hornet. In the 1970s, we had the goofy Superfriends, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman and in 1979, you believed that a man could fly. In the 1980s we had Spiderman (and his Amazing Friends), The Hulk, Challenge of the Superfriends, Superman and Batman and Howard the Duck. In the 1990s we had Batman, Men in Black and the DCAU. Since 2000 of course we've had the X-men franchise, the new Batman Franchise, two Spider-man Franchises, etc. etc. etc., well, you know.

And that's not even to mention all the forgettable poo poo from all those decades, like the Marvel cut-out comics of Captain America, Thor, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, the Fantastic Four without the guy who inspired children to light themselves on fire, the really lovely 70s live action Spiderman and Captain America movies, the spoofs like Greatest American Hero, and so on.

What I'm getting at is that comic book movies have always been around, since comic books and movies were both a thing. Occasionally there are dark spots where everybody gets really embarrassed about them because some flamboyant director or producer took things too far, but then the next one comes out and everybody cheers that it's a revolution and a new era of "serious" comic book movies, as if it had been decades or never since anybody took the genre that seriously, but seriously, the only time they didn't at least try to be at least a little serious (relative to everything else that was on at the time) was with the Adam West Batman.

And even then, it was only five years between the last Kablooey and Linda Carter's semi-serious Wonder Woman (never mind The Six Million Dollar Man, which was at least a comic book in premise if not in reality). It was only two years between the god-awful Superman IV: The Quest For Peace -the movie that not only put that franchise to bed, but was said to have put the nail in the coffin of live action comic book entertainment for all time- and the Tim Burton Batman. It was only three years between Joel Schumacher's blowing his big bright colorful load all over your face, putting the final kibosh on super heroes on the big screen and the "most gritty, realistic comic book movie yet, sparking a new Renaissance" X-men.

tl;dr No, you're not, but they're not going anywhere for a long time. (And yes, some of them are going to get very very lame. Some of them already are) And even when they do, they'll be back in just a couple of years.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 22, 2015

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

My Q-Face posted:

But there's never not been Comic Book Movies or at least serials and TV shows on. In the 1920s and 30s we had Robin Hood and Zorro and a host of other pulp and swashbuckling movies taken from the equivalent of comic books at the time. In the 1940s we had the Batman serials, the Superman Serial and the Fleischer Superman cartoons. In the 1950s we had Superman on TV for 8 years. In the 1960s we had Batman and the Green Hornet. In the 1970s, we had the goofy Superfriends, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman and in 1979, you believed that a man could fly. In the 1980s we had Spiderman (and his Amazing Friends), The Hulk, Challenge of the Superfriends, Superman and Batman and Howard the Duck. In the 1990s we had Batman, Men in Black and the DCAU. Since 2000 of course we've had the X-men franchise, the new Batman Franchise, two Spider-man Franchises, etc. etc. etc., well, you know.

And that's not even to mention all the forgettable poo poo from all those decades, like the Marvel cut-out comics of Captain America, Thor, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, the Fantastic Four without the guy who inspired children to light themselves on fire, the really lovely 70s live action Spiderman and Captain America movies, the spoofs like Greatest American Hero, and so on.

What I'm getting at is that comic book movies have always been around, since comic books and movies were both a thing. Occasionally there are dark spots where everybody gets really embarrassed about them because some flamboyant director or producer took things too far, but then the next one comes out and everybody cheers that it's a revolution and a new era of "serious" comic book movies, as if it had been decades or never since anybody took the genre that seriously, but seriously, the only time they didn't at least try to be at least a little serious (relative to everything else that was on at the time) was with the Adam West Batman.

And even then, it was only five years between the last Kablooey and Linda Carter's semi-serious Wonder Woman (never mind The Six Million Dollar Man, which was at least a comic book in premise if not in reality). It was only two years between the god-awful Superman IV: The Quest For Peace -the movie that not only put that franchise to bed, but was said to have put the nail in the coffin of live action comic book entertainment for all time- and the Tim Burton Batman. It was only three years between Joel Schumacher's blowing his big bright colorful load all over your face, putting the final kibosh on super heroes on the big screen and the "most gritty, realistic comic book movie yet, sparking a new Renaissance" X-men.

tl;dr: No, you're not, but they're not going anywhere for a long time. (And yes, some of them are going to get very very lame. Some of them already are) And even when they do, they'll be back in just a couple of years.

You should write a novel.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SweetKarma posted:

I've never read a comic book in my life. Do the funny pages count?

Family Circus coming to theaters summer of '18

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
pretty much all comic book movies ive seen are boring because the hero has to be all around likeable or respectable. And they generally have plot armor from the villain who is 100% bad.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

SweetKarma posted:

You should write a novel.

I bolded my TL;DR, should I put it up front?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Avocados posted:

pretty much all comic book movies ive seen are boring because the hero has to be all around likeable or respectable. And they generally have plot armor from the villain who is 100% bad.

They could do a movie about venom where he saves some homeless people but in doing so eats some brains

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SweetKarma posted:

It's not that their comic book movies per-se it's just that every loving summer there's like 100 new comic book movies released.

What are the other 98 comic book movies that came out this year?

1. Ultron
2. Ant Man
100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/21/superheroes-cultural-catastrophe-alan-moore-comics-watchmen

• Locked thread