Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Ant man? Really? Who the gently caress wants to watch Paul Rudd play an ant. How many comic book superheroes are there left anyway? The well has to be running dry soon.

For the love of God stop making these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Beef Turret posted:

There are 57 upcoming comic book movies apparently

:smithicide:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Yes, OP, you are literally the only person on earth sick of comic book movies.

Sometimes I feel like it. Why won't they just stop?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

tomstuart posted:

i actually liked ant man i thought it was an entertaining movie even though i had no knowledge of the character beforehand

i havent seen all of the superhero movies but on average they tend to be well made and enjoyable movies, typically worth at least a rental if not a full price ticket

It's not that their comic book movies per-se it's just that every loving summer there's like 100 new comic book movies released.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I like Paul Rudd and I don't have anything against him for starring in this film. He be makin dat chedda.

Hollywood has become fixated on this stupid Comic Book trend. You can make a movie that doesn't have superheroes in it that people will still enjoy.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Mad Monk posted:

I'm tired of them. However, I really did enjoy the second Nolan Bat Man movie. It had just enough cheese in it to remind you it's a comic book movie but was also a legitimately good movie.

I liked the dark knight but only because of the joker scenes. Where he made the pencil disappear, and when he made the two guys fight with broken pool sticks. Give me more of that poo poo. The only thing that made the dark knight watchable were the parts with the joker. Batman was just Bale trying his best to sound tough and failing. I don't know who the gently caress selected Christian Bale to be Batman. My 16 year old brother could sound tougher than him.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I've never read a comic book in my life. Do the funny pages count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

But there's never not been Comic Book Movies or at least serials and TV shows on. In the 1920s and 30s we had Robin Hood and Zorro and a host of other pulp and swashbuckling movies taken from the equivalent of comic books at the time. In the 1940s we had the Batman serials, the Superman Serial and the Fleischer Superman cartoons. In the 1950s we had Superman on TV for 8 years. In the 1960s we had Batman and the Green Hornet. In the 1970s, we had the goofy Superfriends, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman and in 1979, you believed that a man could fly. In the 1980s we had Spiderman (and his Amazing Friends), The Hulk, Challenge of the Superfriends, Superman and Batman and Howard the Duck. In the 1990s we had Batman, Men in Black and the DCAU. Since 2000 of course we've had the X-men franchise, the new Batman Franchise, two Spider-man Franchises, etc. etc. etc., well, you know.

And that's not even to mention all the forgettable poo poo from all those decades, like the Marvel cut-out comics of Captain America, Thor, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, the Fantastic Four without the guy who inspired children to light themselves on fire, the really lovely 70s live action Spiderman and Captain America movies, the spoofs like Greatest American Hero, and so on.

What I'm getting at is that comic book movies have always been around, since comic books and movies were both a thing. Occasionally there are dark spots where everybody gets really embarrassed about them because some flamboyant director or producer took things too far, but then the next one comes out and everybody cheers that it's a revolution and a new era of "serious" comic book movies, as if it had been decades or never since anybody took the genre that seriously, but seriously, the only time they didn't at least try to be at least a little serious (relative to everything else that was on at the time) was with the Adam West Batman.

And even then, it was only five years between the last Kablooey and Linda Carter's semi-serious Wonder Woman (never mind The Six Million Dollar Man, which was at least a comic book in premise if not in reality). It was only two years between the god-awful Superman IV: The Quest For Peace -the movie that not only put that franchise to bed, but was said to have put the nail in the coffin of live action comic book entertainment for all time- and the Tim Burton Batman. It was only three years between Joel Schumacher's blowing his big bright colorful load all over your face, putting the final kibosh on super heroes on the big screen and the "most gritty, realistic comic book movie yet, sparking a new Renaissance" X-men.

tl;dr: No, you're not, but they're not going anywhere for a long time. (And yes, some of them are going to get very very lame. Some of them already are) And even when they do, they'll be back in just a couple of years.

You should write a novel.

• Locked thread