Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Stop watching them then you twat. Like bitch, just close ya eyes. They make a shitload of money so it's not gonna end anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
You mean a film adaptation of White Noise wouldn't bring in 1.5 billion in ticket sales alone? What about the merchandising? Surely that would put it over the 1B mark, right?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair though does hits not apply to any other Summer blockbuster?

Merchandising is a big thing. Disney is absolutely insidious and genius, in a way.

Disney owns a lot of things. That's why, now, every single ABC show is going out of it's way to reference:

- Marvel
- Star Wars
- Disney Animation

... you might not even realize it's happening. Characters make off-hand comments, name dropping Captain America or The Force. Billboards have these things written in the background. Ads for other Disney properties liter bus stops.

It doesn't end there. While every single Disney asset they have going for them is encouraged to drop subtle, almost invisible advertisements meant to keep IPs and properties relevant, they also are forking money to networks and people they don't own to do the same.

As a result, you hear this stuff being brought up more and more; the more you see characters on TV treating some pop culture thing as a pop culture thing, and mentioning it exists, the more you think it's a pop culture thing. Like I said, it's pretty genius even if some people might feel differently if they start looking for it.

... so go ahead. Start listening specifically for referencing Disney projects casually. You're going to hear it, a lot.

ED: One ABC Marvel show apparently opened with a 30 second long shot of a room full of Star Wars stuff, so it's not always subtle, too.

I see Disney on fruit sold at the grocery store, no joke. I'm so loving envious at how competently run that company is I wish I worked for them so I could get in on it.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

bobthedinosaur posted:

Super and Kickass were the only good ones anyways because in a way they were kinda riffing on the whole comic book movie trend.

Those were legit. Kick rear end 2 was terrible though. James Gunn directed Super so I'm glad he got his with Guardians.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Avocados posted:

pretty much all comic book movies ive seen are boring because the hero has to be all around likeable or respectable. And they generally have plot armor from the villain who is 100% bad.

Have you tried reading the tale of genji? He dies 3/4 of the way through and he's a pedophile. This was Japan's first book, no joke.

• Locked thread