Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

http://www.fox.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance

So You Think You Can Dance is back for season 12 and it will look a little different than you remember. We've got new judges (Jason DeRulo and Paula Abdul in addition to creator and regular Nigel Lythgoe), a new format, more performances, and the ever wonderful Cat Deeley!

For whatever reason, this season the Top 20 dancers were divided into two teams: Team Stage and Team Street. Dancers had to audition for a particular team when dancing for the judges at the beginning. Though there are teams of dancers, we will still be seeing different styles within each overarching group (Broadway, Jazz, Contemporary, etc. for Stage/Popping, B-Boy, Krump, etc. for Street). Based on the first episode with the Top 20 performing, it looks like it will bring new life to show since choreographers are getting groups of 3 or more dancers and/or same-gender pairs for routines. So, we're finally getting away from the guy/girl romantic choreography that was so prevalent in past seasons.

Team Stage
Travis Wall - Captain :woop:

Alexia Meyer

Darion Flores
:allears:

Derek Piquette

Edson Juarez

Gaby Diaz :siren:Tapper:siren:

Hailee Payne

Jim Nowakowski

Kate Harpootlian

Marissa Milele

Moises Parra

Team Street
Twitch - Captain :woop:

Alain "Hurrikane" Lauture

Ariana Crowder

Asaf Goren

Burim "B1" Jusufi

Eddie "Neptune" Eskridge

Jana "Jaja" Vankova

Jessica "JJ" Rabone

Lily Frias

Megan "Megz" Alfonso

Virgil Gadson
:allears:

Yorelis Apolinario

These two teams will be battling it out throughout the season, but there's still only one winner - America's favorite dancer!

I'll probably add more info to this, but I just wanted to get a thread going since there's a lot to talk about with all the new changes.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Reserved for things.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Tonight is a special Decade of Dance episode.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Hef Deezy posted:

The last time I saw Paula judge was on American Idol, so her relative coherence here is nice and makes me think that (obviously) dancing is more in her comfort zone than singing.

If this is coherent for Paula, I can only imagine what American Idol was like.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Atticus Finch posted:

SYTYCD is down 21% viewership from last year so at least it looks like they're going out with a bang. :smith:

I agree, but this was the producer's fault. None of us saw the current format coming, they sold it as "contemporary vs hip-hop" the entire way until this week. The unveiling was cool but likely discouraging to other types of dancers. Hell, the ballroom guy who made the Top 20 (SYTYCD Canada winner, too) left because he thought that's how it'd be as well.

Same.

And there's no gender balance this year so I don't see how that's possible.

They really did a poor job of explaining that this season wouldn't be all that different than past seasons with the exception that there's now more variety in choreography thanks to no gender balance and nonsymmetrical pairings.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Invalid Validation posted:

Here's one of my favorites from the past Addiction with Kayla and Kupono:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-1cq8ibwg

This is also my favorite routine of the show (and the First Lady named it one of her favorites too :woop:)! Kayla poured herself into it and Kupono was just so menacing, yet gentle. It's perfection and I'm always sad when it gets ignored for other contemporary routines in highlights and things.

Also a fan of:

My Chick Bad - Lauren & Twitch - I'm SO glad Lauren was able to pull this off considering the song choice

After Party - Amy & Fik Shun - I just love their energy in this. You can tell they're both having a great time.

You Know How I Feel - Fik Shun & Melanie - Also super fun.

Angry Vulture - Jordan & Tadd - I'm not sure how much is the song vs. choreography because I love this song. Also, Jordan's legs :eyepop:

(Guilty Pleasure Routine) Silver Screen - Malece & Jade - I love that they nail every *hit* also that fan

EDIT: How could I forget Outta Your Mind - Alex & Twitch?!?! - No words needed.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 29, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Travis' take on the last episode and the season.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/01/so-you-think-you-can-dance-mentor-blog-travis-wall-top-6

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bunk Rogers posted:

Paula puked on a kid. That's something.

Wait, what? The minute I read about the kids, I dipped out. Did this actually happen? A google search is telling me a kid puked on Paula.

• Locked thread