Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Whorelord posted:

"The British embassy in Washington has apologised after tweeting a picture of a White House cake surrounded by sparklers, "commemorating" the burning of the building 200 years ago.
The US presidential residence was set on fire by British forces in 1814 during the "War of 1812" with the United States.
A number of Twitter users said the embassy's tweet was "in poor taste".
The embassy later said: "Apologies for earlier Tweet."
It added: "We meant to mark an event in history & celebrate our strong friendship today."
'Only sparklers!'
British troops led by Maj Gen Robert Ross attacked and burned public buildings including the Capitol, Washington Navy Yard and the president's mansion during the conflict.
It was the only time that a foreign power has captured and occupied Washington.
The offending tweet on Sunday read: "Commemorating the 200th anniversary of burning the White House. Only sparklers this time!"
The British embassy message, published on its official Twitter account, has been retweeted more than 4,000 times.
One user questioned: "Is this suppose [sic] to be funny"?
Another wrote: "I think this is in extremely POOR TASTE."
An apology was issued on the account two hours after the original message."

My favorite thing about the White House burning is when Canadians try to take credit for it and get all smug

"That's right, the largest empire on the planet burned down the seat of your government... on our behalf :smug:"
"Didn't both Toronto and the Canadian houses of Parliament get burned by the Americans in the same war, and didn't the war end in a stalemate?"
"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of THE WHITE HOUSE BEING BURNED"

(obligatory hark a vagrant link)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tbf it is the worst third of the country

Never lived outside a blue state and I love it :toot:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I went to London about a month and a half ago, and I really liked the way just about any pub would be filled with people who just got off work having a drink with their friends at like 5:15, but most of the pubs themselves were awful. Small selection of bad beers. I've been spoiled by the American craft beer scene. British beer, when not watery and flavorless, is just bitter, and I understand you guys do it on purpose (sometimes it's even called "bitter") but I don't like it, at all. The beer in Amsterdam was far, far superior, and about half of it was American imports.

For the first time in history, American beer is better than European beer :boom:

e: me in an Amsterdam bar. "My god, this beer is delicious! Where is it from??? *googles* ...it's from Detroit. Okay." Brouwerij 't IJ ruled though, dat local dubbel

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Scandinavian education is free, but by all accounts you get what you pay for

American higher education is in a horrible financial state in that it's just a fact that when you enter young adulthood in this country you just go into tons and tons of crippling debt, it's just how it works, but on the plus side the education itself is really good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I don't get why we call them roundabouts and the Brits call them traffic circles. Sounds like the opposite when it comes to quaint britishisms "the lift" etc

Also calling a semi truck a lorrey is so ridiculous I can't handle it

In MA those are called "rotaries", which to my completely unbiased ear seems correct and not weird unlike both of the other terms

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sekenr posted:

At least tell me who is the guy on the bench and why is there money on the floor

A Sad White Man who feels betrayed by BIG GOV'T, and because capitalism has been betrayed (by the existence of liberals)

Lincoln is on the non-BIG-GOV'T side because he is universally beloved enough that conservatives use the fact that he was a Republican (ignoring the fact that Republicans were liberals in the 1860s) to claim him as one of their own even though he literally fought a war against states' rights (to own slaves)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Krokerik posted:

I think municipalities decide where you can and cannot drink in public in Sweden.
This map is for Umeå, the red areas you cant drink in public.

For real though I wish the neighborhood I lived in was called Sandbacka, or Teg

reppin the mean streets of Teg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

America won the women's world cup this year, U S A U S A :toot:

Real "sorry" about your third-place finish, England :smug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Warthog posted:

- You constantly mix us up with Sweden... We're the ones with the chocolate, watches and enabling banks, they're blond and tall.

I have never heard of anyone doing this but it makes sense what with all the "sw" sounds

Zzulu posted:

We should join and become one nation, Switzerland. With your chocolate and banks and our Blondness and Ikeas, we would be unstoppable

See if you can get Swaziland in on the deal too!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fluo posted:

im seeing the lions at Wembley in November

You guys keep getting either horrible games between two bad teams or horrible matchups between one bad team and one really good one. I apologize to all Brits on behalf of America for showing you such lovely football :( I apologize specifically for showing you the Jacksonville Jaguars so many times. Nobody needs to see that.

Jets/Dolphins should be good, but if you're not a fan of either of those teams you probably don't know why exactly. Steelers/Vikings was probably a good game, and in 2008 you got Chargers/Saints which must have been awesome, but every other matchup appears to have sucked

Fluo posted:

We live in houses older than your country.

that sounds awful honestly, new houses are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Somehow not a single one of the pubs we went into in London had stout of any kind on tap, with the exception of an oyster shack in Borough Market. I was v unsatisfied with my stout experience. :colbert:

On the other hand we did go to multiple gin bars that were frankly excellent.

• Locked thread