Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's Buchanan. He just decided to ignore the fact that the country was disassembling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

It's Buchanan. He just decided to ignore the fact that the country was disassembling.

But that conflict might have been inevitable anyway. I feel like Andrew Johnson might really be the worst since he squandered the victory in the Civil War- a more forward thinking president might have headed off a lot of the worst abuses of the following century and put America on a much better and more equitable path going forward. I don't know that we really have the distance to judge any modern president as having made errors on the level of "totally hosed up Reconstruction."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lufiron posted:

Reagan by far. Raped social security and yet is beloved by the right, completely ignoring history

http://www.fedsmith.com/2013/10/11/ronald-reagan-and-the-great-social-security-heist/

In your opinion, how much worse is misappropriating funds meant for social security than committing genocide against native americans?

Far worse?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Wasn't it LBJ that turned social security into a generalized slush fund anyway? Somebody did that and now guess what allt he moneys gone

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I don't even know the names of all the presidents, and I don't think I'm alone here.

The worst in my lifetime was probably Dubya.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LGD posted:

But that conflict might have been inevitable anyway. I feel like Andrew Johnson might really be the worst since he squandered the victory in the Civil War- a more forward thinking president might have headed off a lot of the worst abuses of the following century and put America on a much better and more equitable path going forward. I don't know that we really have the distance to judge any modern president as having made errors on the level of "totally hosed up Reconstruction."

That's a good point, but I just can't get away from the fact that someone had a whole country at the start of his term, and had half of one at the end. I don't think Buchanan was evil or anything just woefully unprepared for the job at hand.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Hitler

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In your opinion, how much worse is misappropriating funds meant for social security than committing genocide against native americans?

Far worse?

Because those native americans weren't REAL americans, DUH. Stealing from the elderly is worse some of those old people are God-fearing, tax-paying citizens of our country.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
George Washington, when he refused to become a King.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

George Washington, for his role in starting this whole thing off in the first place.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Warren Harding is a pretty good answer.

I don't think of Eisenhower as a particularly bad president but arguably his policies directly paved the way for the modern military-industrial complex, and I assert that that is bad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like tanks and lasers tho

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

...maybe some kind of laser-tank.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
andrew jackson, no contest

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Human Crouton posted:

came here to post my scorn for this loathsome hobbit president

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
In the dystopian future, they're going to be like, "What went wrong?"

And then they are going to go back in time and kill Reagan with a stage prop gun or whatever while he was filming one of his absolute garbage movies

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ralp posted:

I don't think of Eisenhower as a particularly bad president but arguably his policies directly paved the way for the modern military-industrial complex, and I assert that that is bad.

I too hate the interstate highway system :jerkbag:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Junkfist posted:

George Washington, when he refused to become a King.

This, but not because of the Kingship, but because he brought over all those stupid tightassed Puritans.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Ralp posted:

Doesn't he get a pass because he told us all exactly what was going to happen with the military industrial complex? It's not like he told us in a mustache twirling villain monologue, it was more of a stern grandfatherly, "This is going to happen and it's not good you dumb fags! Aren't you listening?"

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
remember that time johnson was like, yeah lets get deeper in this vietnam poo poo lol

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Doesn't he get a pass because he told us all exactly what was going to happen with the military industrial complex? It's not like he told us in a mustache twirling villain monologue, it was more of a stern grandfatherly, "This is going to happen and it's not good you dumb fags! Aren't you listening?"

Yeah he even coined the phrase.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's Carter

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Daedra posted:

remember that time johnson was like, yeah lets get deeper in this vietnam poo poo lol

LBJ should've shown Ho Chi Minh his dick. I'm curious if Minh would've caved or come up with some sort of epic burn on the spot that escalated the war even further.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Daedra posted:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LGD posted:

Didn't he handle pretty much how Lincoln intended to handle it?

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fabulousity posted:

That counts for a lot to me yeah, and I suppose therefore shifts much of the blame onto those who ignored his warnings. And I suppose that means Reagan especially, but I think Reagan is kind of a boring trendy answer to the question. Maybe it's even the right answer but it is not an interesting discussion or good thread if everyone just posts Ronald Reagan Suxx!!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I too hate the interstate highway system :jerkbag:

You might say he literally paved the way :haw:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As noted, unlike Buchanan, people look back to Reagan as good and try to emulate him to this day. Buchanan sucked a log but I don't think anyone tried to be Buchanan 2.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hm so we have a lot for Reagan. I feel like that thread about the worst people in Football, there are Hall of Famers, and I think Reagan will always be the Hall of Fame of bad presidents when measured against history. SO we can set him aside for this thread.

So we have Buchanan, W Bush, Jackson, and Andrew Johnson all receiving a lot of votes.

A few for LBJ and one for Carter (wtf, he was maybe the best?)

What about some of the less known ones. What about Fillmore? Garfield? Adams?

Who was the BEST President? And why?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
van buren wins best sideburns for a presi

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Best prez is the one that never happened

Sherman for President: Let's Make the South Howl, One More 'Gain

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 22, 2015

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
hayes gets best beard

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Teddy Roosevelt best president for just not giving a gently caress.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Who was the BEST President? And why?

James K. Polk- he was elected on a simple straightforward platform that sought to benefit the country as a whole, he readily accomplished what he set out to do, and he retired from the national scene when it was done. A modern day Cincinnatus.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Nobody's said Obama yet. Jesus.

:suicide:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
racist

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Calvin Coolidge was the best President because he kept cool.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

circ dick soleil posted:

Nobody's said Obama yet. Jesus.

:suicide:

Aren't you supposed to be playing "Whose a Bigger Virgin?" with that other loving virgin in GBS

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Millard Fillmore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

ElGroucho posted:

Aren't you supposed to be playing "Whose a Bigger Virgin?" with that other loving virgin in GBS

What the gently caress are you even talking about? :crossarms:

• Locked thread