Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Does posting YouTube videos give you a boner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Reagan supercharging the war on drugs while simultaneously gutting all the programs for the poor that LBJ started.

Also, Reagan's shadow legacy has been talk radio, fox news, basically every policy of W Bush, religion being injected into politics, identity politics, more wealth inequality now than the gilded age, Antonin Scalia.

I dont like druggies and dont want to pay for programs for the poor. I see those reagan moves as good

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

my point isnt that he's good, its just that hes not significant enough to be called the worst president

but yeah you're right, social security or whatever is more important than the civil war and reconstruction, very good historical perspective

he singlehandedly killed the american dream. that is major. in my opinion its the most major negative thing that happened.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I dont like druggies and dont want to pay for programs for the poor. I see those reagan moves as good

a guy smoking a joint isn't a "druggie", dude, but in raigones eyes he's worse than a rapist and should be jailed for life. this is an example of extremely stupid thinking, fyi

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What about Hoover? Was it his fault the depression happened or was he just a scapegoat?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Claven666 posted:

he singlehandedly killed the american dream. that is major. in my opinion its the most major negative thing that happened.

no, i'm pretty sure running out of free frontier land killed the american dream

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

What about Hoover? Was it his fault the depression happened or was he just a scapegoat?

Scapegoat. Some people blame him for not fixing it, but the depression was coming no matter who was in office.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

no, i'm pretty sure running out of free frontier land killed the american dream

unironically, what is your interpretation of the american dream? mine basically boils down to "an economic climate, maintained by a progressive system of taxation/prudent governmental spending, that allows an individual to elevate themselves from apprentice to employee to self-made entrepeneur with the chance at attaining true wealth brought about by hard work, dedication and innovation"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jastiger posted:

Hoover introduced the spork to Japan.

If that's not a legacy I don't know what is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Claven666 posted:

unironically, what is your interpretation of the american dream? mine basically boils down to "an economic climate, maintained by a progressive system of taxation/prudent governmental spending, that allows an individual to elevate themselves from apprentice to employee to self-made entrepeneur with the chance at attaining true wealth brought about by hard work, dedication and innovation"

to me the concept of the "american dream" has nothing to do with being an employee of any sort, and for most of american history thats what it meant. an average person could own their own land, and without being beholden to a landlord all of the work they did on that land bore fruit and went into their own pocket. it was literally true that harder working people where more prosperous. not only that, but you could expect your children to do even better than you, as they could themselves get free land but have lots of siblings to call on for assistance

once the land ran out the dream died. now the dream has become "anyone can make it....in theory" it is no longer a foregone conclusion that you will do well by working hard, or that there will be lots of resources to support your children. a persons today can work themselves to the bone and only make money for someone else, remaining poor forever. it is still possible to become a business entrepreneur, but it is not guaranteed like it was in the past. the vast majority of people will stay in the same economic conditions they where born into, regardless of how hard they work.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

to me the concept of the "american dream" has nothing to do with being an employee of any sort, and for most of american history thats what it meant. an average person could own their own land, and without being beholden to a landlord all of the work they did on that land bore fruit and went into their own pocket. it was literally true that harder working people where more prosperous. not only that, but you could expect your children to do even better than you, as they could themselves get free land but have lots of siblings to call on for assistance

once the land ran out the dream died. now the dream has become "anyone can make it....in theory" it is no longer a foregone conclusion that you will do well by working hard, or that there will be lots of resources to support your children. a persons today can work themselves to the bone and only make money for someone else, remaining poor forever. it is still possible to become a business entrepreneur, but it is not guaranteed like it was in the past. the vast majority of people will stay in the same economic conditions they where born into, regardless of how hard they work.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It was FDR since his creation of social programs, improvements to infrastructure and the resulting revival of the American economy meant that the United States will forever be so prosperous that its citizens will never rebel against their government and install a communist regime.

You could have just said, "FDR because by his own admission he saved Capitalism."

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

that is basically how I see it as well. however, that is notwithstanding the fact that nothing is stopping you from purchasing land to subsist on other than being at an economic disadvantage. i feel that our two views, though differing in focus, both distill into the idea that "working yoru rear end off should make you richer, not poorer" i mean, you can substitute "owning your own farm with which to grow livestock and food" (which, no offense, seems a bit anachronistic to me) with "owning a nice, paid off house that i do not pay property taxes on because i bribed my local officials to zone it as a non-profit church"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Claven666 posted:

unironically, what is your interpretation of the american dream?

*fails to answer question, instead offers long incoherent rant that hinges on complex allegory wherein capitalism is Sauron and America is Numenor*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So did Reagan kill the American Dream or did America kill the AMerican dream?

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

*fails to answer question, instead offers long incoherent rant that hinges on complex allegory wherein capitalism is Sauron and America is Numenor*

i lol'd at this.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Jastiger posted:

So did Reagan kill the American Dream or did America kill the AMerican dream?

I killed it. You're next, bitch.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

*moves labor overseas menacingly*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the louisiana purchase was unconstitutional :colbert:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
LBJ not the worst president, because he was the first to not treat Mexicans like absolutely dogshit garbage, imo

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

The Human Crouton posted:

Scapegoat. Some people blame him for not fixing it, but the depression was coming no matter who was in office.

Yup. He was moderately big on the kind of public works projects that helped stem the tide, but it was far too little, too late. The roots of the great depression go all the way back to at least the 1880's. Then there were peiods around the turn of the century and the 20s that fed and catalyzed the reaction.

That never stopped some retarded economists from claiming the depression was a natural feature of capitalism and at the same time, the fault of one or the other president. Both arguments are utter bs together or separately.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Whichever future President annexes Mexico.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Junkfist posted:

Trump

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Robert Mugabe.

Still better than Obama.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

TEAH SYAG posted:

Still better than Obama.

and yet Obama is still better than your mother. what a conundrum

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Immortan posted:

Reagan wasn't as bad as Bush II and lol if you think otherwise.

The problem with Reagan is that the hosed-up poo poo that he did while in office isn't near as bad as the poo poo he set the stage for that has happened since.
When you look at so many of the things that have really hosed-up the country in the last 15-20 years or so, you find the roots of it back in Reagan's era.

Slavish devotion to trickle-down tax cuts? Reagan. Demonizing welfare recipients? Reagan. Union busting? Reagan. All manufacturing moved to China? Reagan. Religious lunacy taking control of political issues? Reagan. Bellicose warmongering? Reagan(in the post-Vietnam era, anyway) Environmental backpedaling? Reagan. Ramping up the WAR ON DRUGS? Reagan.

It's hard to even state the magnitude of the damage done without sounding like some loving nutcase blaming everything on "X", but seriously, it's incredibly obvious when you look back.

Edit: others said the same poo poo, I'm late to the loving party.

I'm old and watched this poo poo happen in real time and it's very depressing.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 25, 2015

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

The problem with Reagan is that the hosed-up poo poo that he did while in office isn't near as bad as the poo poo he set the stage for that has happened since.
When you look at so many of the things that have really hosed-up the country in the last 15-20 years or so, you find the roots of it back in Reagan's era.

Slavish devotion to trickle-down tax cuts? Reagan. Demonizing welfare recipients? Reagan. Union busting? Reagan. All manufacturing moved to China? Reagan. Religious lunacy taking control of political issues? Reagan. Bellicose warmongering? Reagan(in the post-Vietnam era, anyway) Environmental backpedaling? Reagan. Ramping up the WAR ON DRUGS? Reagan.

It's hard to even state the magnitude of the damage done without sounding like some loving nutcase blaming everything on "X", but seriously, it's incredibly obvious when you look back.

Edit: others said the same poo poo, I'm late to the loving party.

I'm old and watched this poo poo happen in real time and it's very depressing.

John Hinckley Jr. was actually a Dr. Samuel Beckett from some distant dystopian future, who was trying to set right what once went wrong. Obviously things didn't work out for Dr. Beckett.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
John Taylor was the best president

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Junkfist posted:

I think you mean best President :getin:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If elected, my first executive act will be renaming Pennsylvania to "Fagsylvania" on all federal documents

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

LBJ not the worst president, because he was the first to not treat Mexicans like absolutely dogshit garbage, imo

LBJ taught elementary school at poor Mexican schools in South Texas. He then went on to cheat in state elections, then bullied his way into Congress prominence. Then he killed that snob JFK. A cool guy all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Frijolero posted:

LBJ taught elementary school at poor Mexican schools in South Texas. He then went on to cheat in state elections, then bullied his way into Congress prominence. Then he killed that snob JFK. A cool guy all around.

lbj sounds like he was a little too busy to have just been hangin out in some grassy knoll

• Locked thread