Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of No Man's Sky?!?!
Awesome!
Cool!
Sweet!
Amazing!
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Did you hear that No Man's Sky will have billions of planets to explore? That's amazing I can't wait to see all the different planets. How do they do that? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I can't wait for virtual limitless tracts of barren empty wilderness to do nothing in!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
maybe we should spend a little more time exploring THIS galaxy be fore we start making our own huh

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm excited about procedurally generated video games

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey, it's the thing that worked so well in Mass Effect 1, back again to work so well in No Man's Sky

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

No Man's Sky is going to be boring as poo poo with nothing to do in it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bolow posted:

No Man's Sky is going to be boring as poo poo with nothing to do in it

Just like ED, but still better than SC

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when you spent like half an hour driving the Mako around a barren wasteland to get to the five places on it that were useful in any way, and end up with a bunch of completely useless junk like asari artifacts and also see a thresher maw and not fight it because gently caress thresher maws? That was a great time and I'm glad to see developers revisit this idea. I hope they bring back the best game mechanic from Mako exploration segments, by which I of course mean struggling to get over a really steep mountain to get the asari artifact on the other side

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I don't think it's procedurally generated but once, because once discovered a planet remains persistent, right?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

You might want to look up what "generated" means

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so is penis fish planet @ 96.-305.112 on my game the same planet on someone else's game? What happens when u visit like 700 planets, does it brick ur ps4?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
some procedurally generated posts in this thread

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
No Man's Sky at E3:

OK guys here's our game whoa isn't it neat to see things that look suspiciously like the things we showed you last year? Well that's our game, that's No Man's Sky; OK bye

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

No Man's Sky at E3:

OK guys here's our game whoa isn't it neat to see things that look suspiciously like the things we showed you last year? Well that's our game, that's No Man's Sky; OK bye

I am the idiot nerd who cheers for this.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I like Spelunky and Crypt of the Necrodancer so I guess this sounds pretty good.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I don't know I'm in the beta and the amount of different variables makes all the planets seem very different.
Fortunately you can try it out now as well: http://www.joshandjayshow.com/nomansskybeta/

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

This IGN video spends eight minutes explaining how procedural generation works lmao

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/07/22/how-no-mans-sky-infinite-universe-actually-works-ign-first

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

wow its like the game makes itself

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

wow its like the game makes itself

it's v useful when you want to make a game but just not actually make a game

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I am going to find all your planets and name every creature on them "Gamergate".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
we are reasonably sure that the player can make/crowdsource their own fun in our game

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Pvt.Scott posted:

I can't wait for virtual limitless tracts of barren empty wilderness to do nothing in!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh man, on this planet the fish swim counterclockwise!

dude. mind. blown.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
still though compared to like Mario 64 or whatever poo poo I was playing as a kid

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
diablo is pretty fun sometimes

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

someone make a procedurally generated game that, when you install it, procedurally generates a random kind of game that uses procedural generation.

I said that phrase too many times and it made me dizzy. goodbye.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

someone make a procedurally generated game that, when you install it, procedurally generates a random kind of game that uses procedural generation.

That's def what Inception: The Movie: The Video Game would do

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I want to see the Revenge of the Sunfish guy make a procedurally generated game.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

mysterious frankie posted:

has been done

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

has been done

I want to say I'm surprised. Specifically, I want to say I'm a surprised millionaire.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Procedurally generated games are actually awesome and cool.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Junkfist posted:

I am going to find all your planets and name every creature on them "Gamergate".

good I'm glad of it

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I like procedurally generated games because I hate interesting map design

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
My favorite part of elder scrolls games is running through featureless wilderness and nearly identical dungeons, but sometimes that feels a little too handcrafted you know?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Minecraft, somehow, pulled procedural off well enough, as does Civilization

What's irritating is gently caress is the games that should loving have it but don't. What the gently caress cities: skylines

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Minecraft, somehow, pulled procedural off well enough, as does Civilization

What's irritating is gently caress is the games that should loving have it but don't. What the gently caress cities: skylines

Think of the effort of thousands of nerds making custom buildings as a kind of procedural generation

orly
Oct 2, 2005

The existing algorithms are really good at generating a lot of dumb crap, but currently there are very few to no algorithms capable of matching your neighborhood levelord, because it's really hard to communicate things like good level design to a computer, since you'll have to tell it a whole bunch of data that you might not even know how to encode. It's right up there with the other AI problems like self driving cars and vision etc. we arent taking this seriously enough, every article you see is just someone going wow omg its automatic

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i made a procedurally generated Magic Cards set, with random names and random pictures, and random abilities all from differant generators, enjoy:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ENDLESS DUNGEONS

THE SAME loving DUNGEOnS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I cant wait to visit a planet that no one ever in the history of man kind will ever see or touch again.

And see the same loving plants and beacon tower.

• Locked thread