Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of No Man's Sky?!?!
Awesome!
Cool!
Sweet!
Amazing!
View Results

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Did you hear that No Man's Sky will have billions of planets to explore? That's amazing I can't wait to see all the different planets. How do they do that? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

No Man's Sky at E3:

OK guys here's our game whoa isn't it neat to see things that look suspiciously like the things we showed you last year? Well that's our game, that's No Man's Sky; OK bye

I am the idiot nerd who cheers for this.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

This IGN video spends eight minutes explaining how procedural generation works lmao

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/07/22/how-no-mans-sky-infinite-universe-actually-works-ign-first

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

wow its like the game makes itself

it's v useful when you want to make a game but just not actually make a game

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

someone make a procedurally generated game that, when you install it, procedurally generates a random kind of game that uses procedural generation.

I said that phrase too many times and it made me dizzy. goodbye.

That's def what Inception: The Movie: The Video Game would do

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

GCValentine posted:

oh hey look this rock is slightly grayer than the rocks in the other cave I saw, what good content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

procedurally generated content isn't bad in and of itself, but it needs to incorporate interesting gameplay and things to actually DO in that content instead of just "being there" that's why I never really got into minecraft, because as much as you could build it seemed like most of the time it was just "fight monsters, build a cool castle with elevators" at least in Terraria I have objectives to move towards and more interesting equipment level ups

• Locked thread