Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of No Man's Sky?!?!
Awesome!
Cool!
Sweet!
Amazing!
View Results

• Locked thread
Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Moridin920 posted:

still though compared to like Mario 64 or whatever poo poo I was playing as a kid

have there been any games since that do mario 6 stuff better than mario 64 did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

GCValentine posted:

oh hey look this rock is slightly grayer than the rocks in the other cave I saw, what good content

that is interesting out in actual nature, and partially because you can use the information you see in the world to understand the procedural generation behind it. what if nms's procedural generation system actually involved a coherent and discoverable system of geology? that be something

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Papercut posted:

Much like procedurally generated games, the fun part is building the machine that does stuff, not riding in the actual machine itself.

haha yeah, ive made procedural systems for making maps with certain features out of hexogonal board game tiles (draw tiles from procedurally selected premixed stacks, and have features on the tiles determine how or if they are placed, credit to the game Tikal) for civilization type board game ideas. i havent done anything good with it or immediately plan to, but setting up a system is a fun challenge itself.

• Locked thread