Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

I don't really know what Disney XD is, but The Brothers Chaps are releasing 40 new short cartoons with them under the moniker Two More Eggs. There are a few available for viewing on YouTube right now, and if you hold the old Homestar Runner cartoons as near and dear to your heart as I do, you'll enjoy the piss out of them.

Two More Eggs YouTube Playlist -- NEW SHORT EVERY TUESDAY

Unfortunately, I can't find any official website for the new series, but here's what I've gathered so far.

Dooble -- "Halosche!!!"
The most common character to appear in Two More Eggs. Kind of gross to look at. Might be some sort of criminal. Mostly clueless. There are video game(s) about him.

Trauncles
An storybook town filled with children who are very eager to teach others life lessons, apparently.

CGI Pals
A collection of incredibly animated characters with incredible names.

Hector & Kovitch
Two friends. Hector sounds like Homestar with spit in his mouth and Kovitch is an adolescent that doesn't pay much attention to Hector.

I'm just giddy to see something Homestar Runner-related, and I want to talk to people about it.

Some more of The Brothers Chaps post Homestar Runner work:

Episodes
  1. Hot Dip: Not 4 Momz!
  2. CGI Palz: Theme Song
  3. Dooble: Dooblie Doo
  4. Dooble: Video Game
  5. Eggpo: New Job
  6. Trauncles: Sharing
  7. Dooble: The Driver
  8. Hector & Kovitch: Best Movie
  9. Trauncles: Trousers
  10. Dooble: Cake Show

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It's halfway between Homestar Runner and David Firth's stuff...?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Am I... am I old?

e: just got to the Hot Dip one and this poo poo is growing on me.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 28, 2015

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

8) Hector & Kovitch: Best Movie // "It's not blades day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0IKo5KjwG4

I assume Hector is the over-enthusiastic storyteller on the left, and Kovitch is the adolescent on the right. Hector tries to tell Kovitch about the best movie he has seen in a while that involves an underwater spaceman(dog) that kick-fights shark people.

I particularly liked the Samalando movie covers. You can also hear Homestar's voice through Hector very strongly. The entire short sounds like when Homestar is explaining to Strong Bad about how well he played "online gaming" last night.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 30, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Duckbag posted:

Am I... am I old?

e: just got to the Hot Dip one and this poo poo is growing on me.

These are real short and there's not many of them, but yeah they're growing on me too. They all have had at least a few fun moments. The Driver was pretty good, the movie one was generally very Homestarry in a good way, Hot Dip and Trauncles I enjoyed as well.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The unfortunate thing is that Dooble seems to be the main character/mascot but he and his shorts are the least interesting.

But eh, I'm definitely not in the target audience, so maybe he's hilarious to whatever age bracket that is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dooble is literally Homsar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I grew up on H*R but this is kind of not good. Am I just old?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

1) Hot Dip: Not 4 Momz! // "Mineral?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSAa7uCNqE

Even though Two More Eggs launched with three cartoons, I'm considering Hot Dip: Not 4 Momz! to be the first and best launch toon. It is definitely the most Homestar-ish cartoon so far. This short takes the style of a fake commercial for the food(?) product, Hot Dip. The Brothers Chaps liked making fake commercials in the Homestar Runner days. Senor Mortgage comes to mind.

The titular mascot, Hot Dip, is a gruff-sounding blob of dip that has a general disregard for parents. His slime can be used for feeding your fake pet and acting out angsty urges. It doesn't look like a very good thing to bring with you on your next nature hike, though.

I really liked the quick cutaway scenes during the montage.

Also, the overly trashy mom is too funny. HOT PAK!

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I grew up on H*R but this is kind of not good. Am I just old?

I think the only genuinely not good thing I've seen out of this was the Dooblie Doo song. That one sways young, for sure. I think the biggest thing that throws me off is the length of the shorts. These are around 1.5 minutes, and H*R toons were pushing six minutes in the later years.

But as far as age being a factor, I don't think kids would really understand why Trauncles is funny. Though, that one is funny because I'm just picturing Matt Chapman acting the narrator out because I'm an unnecessarily hardcore fanboy of the Chaps.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

zfleeman posted:

I think the only genuinely not good thing I've seen out of this was the Dooblie Doo song. That one sways young, for sure.

Yeah definitely. But then the next Dooble cartoon was about him being hired to covertly drive a car with a (implied) dead body rolled up in a rug stuffed in the trunk, which I don't think is something Disney XD would normally toss into their kids age 2-11 cartoons. So yeah I got no idea what they're aiming for here.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

2) CGI Palz: Theme Song // "...ctkg-ctkg-ctkg-ctkg computer technology!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QqLp8FnXUo

I think this spoof of horribly animated CGI shows is funny, even if the joke is over-exaggerated. Will we see these characters again? After working with Disney in some capacity for a few years, I bet The Brothers Chaps are just itching to parody more cartoon styles.

I couldn't help but think of all of theme song spoofs in the Sbemail, Theme Song.

Good character names, though.

that's a fine mouth

personal favorite

and I don't get this one

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

9) Trauncles: Trousers // "zip zop, zip zop!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khlbI3-m330

Oh dear, it's quite a special episode of Trauncles that makes light of weird videos about puberty, I think. Jordy and Stevens haven't received their first pair of pants trousers even though other boys in school have been spreading rumors about how trouser-acquisition even works. I... I think they imply that Stevens got a big dick?

This setting is quickly becoming my favorite. Hearing 'depot' as 'deh-poh' was really funny to me for some reason. There is a very Bro-Chaps editing technique used in this episode. With each reveal of a trouser's name, Jordy and Stevens have different reactions with each 'pop-up'. Jordy gets more thrilled with each pair, and Stevens can't stand the sight of it all. This effect is present in Strong Bad Email #180, slumber party.

Just like this joke, imo:

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 6, 2015

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, uh, as... watchable as that was, I think it's mostly just making me nostalgic for the old h star r.

I just have to remind myself that, A) I'm not anywhere close to the target audience anymore and B) the early homestarrunner cartoons were a pale shadow of what they became.

Hopefully they find their footing because, aside from a few good late period cartoons and some of the more gonzo Aquabats moments, I really haven't been all that into anything they've done since Strong Bad got a flatscreen monitor.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

10) Dooble: Cake Show // "Oh, Sister Pedro!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzzhBlsN9Sk

Linda David is tasked to bake a cake in ten minutes on the hit cooking show, "Oh The Cakemanity" with the help of the Dooble, the mystery chef. I'm ready to admit that I am fully pro-Dooble now. I liked this episode.

It sounds like Mike Chapman made his debut in this episode as the gopher. I always liked his vocal contributions to Homestar Runner.

One thing I didn't really care for in this episode: the judges. They look kind of gross.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, ersatz homsar isn't really doing anything for me.

I'm also wondering why they made all these cartoons so short. They'd feel a lot less random wacky if they actually set aside enough time to set up a joke before rushing through a punchline

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I just learned the word 'ersatz'.

And yeah, I've been wondering that as well. I don't mind the length of the toons, but the average Homestar Runner cartoon was nearing greater than 4 minutes, which is actually insane to think about. Those guys had some hustle when they weren't on hiatus.

But I think I've thought the opposite. I've been surprised with how much they have been able to cram into each episode when they're around 1:30 each. The latest Trauncles had so much to unpack, imo. The shorter running time has made it more of a breeze to repeatedly watch every episode until you memorize it, which is a big deal to me because younger zfleeman would just sit in his room for an hour rewatching the same H*R toon until it was burned into his brain.

Maybe I have some low-level autism, though.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

11) Bad Snaxx: Breakfast // "Oh, Gert!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv42ljNCs98

Hey, look: a new art style! This particle accelerator employee from the South just doesn't have time to cook her impoverished family a decent 'reakfast.

3-in-1 Mom 'Sploshe got me real good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

zfleeman posted:

I don't really know what Disney XD is, but
It started out as kind of the Boy Zone for their projects, and as of late kind of turned into their animated properties channel. So while live action sitcoms live on the main channel, Gravity Falls or Wander over Yonder or the newest Star Wars CGI thing live in XD Land.

it's basically turning into their answer to Adventure Time CN. And running this as an incubator for animated properties or spring pads for up and coming animators/writers could pay off for them pretty well.

I can't believe that Disney of all people made this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
So far it seems kinda weak, but I guess I just have to get used to the format. I'm not really too fond of Dooble, after all there was a reason why Homsar showed up very rarely, but maybe he'll grow on me. My favorite part is probably all the classic sound effects they've lifted right from old sbemail episodes.

• Locked thread