Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Review stars Andy Daly as critic Forrest MacNeil, who does not review boring things like films, food or art. Instead, Forrest reviews the most intense experiences of life itself -- by living them.

quote:

Or perhaps I simply unterstood from the darkest corner of my soul that these pancakes couldn't kill me. Because I was already dead.

AVClub posted:

Based on the Australian comedy Review With Myles Barlow, the show-within-the-show on Review is merely a starting point: Each episode begins with Forrest accepting the first of the week’s three assignments, submitted by fictional audience members and relayed by co-host A.J. Gibbs (Megan Stevenson). But as each new segment demonstrates, there’s a whole world within Review, a sneaky sense of continuity that begins to crystallize in episode two, “Sex Tape, Racist, Hunting.” Forrest’s job frequently interferes with his homelife, making Jessica St. Clair’s Suzanne MacNeil a befuddled bystander in her husband’s dalliances with addiction, kleptomania, and other unbecoming traits.
also divorce

List of stuff Forrest reviewed this season

Episode 1
Bare-Knuckle Brawl

**1/2

Blackmail

*1/2

Glory Holes

****1/2

Episode 2
Curing A Gay Person

Mile High Club

Episode 3
Being Falsely Accused

Sleeping With Your Teacher

Being A Little Person

***1/2

Episode 4
Being A Cult Leader

Having A Perfect Body

1/2

AVClub posted:

But the real attraction here is Daly, getting a TV part he can truly sink his teeth into. Forrest’s story is one of those damnably common vocational irony narratives—he’s reviewing life, but he’s not really living it—but the goofy gung-ho spirit Daly gives the character (and the heights of insanity that spirit takes him to) hurdle over cliché. The Review host is more of a blank slate than the curdled cartoon characters the star plays in the audio realm, but that leaves him more vulnerable to life’s cruelties. The cretins who wander into the Comedy Bang! Bang! studio have already run the gauntlet; Review is the fiendishly fun “before” picture to their haggard “after.”

Season 2 starts this Thursday on CC. Have a trailer. If you haven't seen the first season it's still freely available on CC's website. I suggest episode 3 (Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes) as an introduction.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Whoops, posted in the general Comedy Central thread about this. Really excited for this new season, Review was probably my favorite show from last year.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Illinois Smith posted:

Season 2 starts this Thursday on CC. Have a trailer. If you haven't seen the first season it's still freely available on CC's website. I suggest episode 3 (Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes) as an introduction.

Judging by the number of arrows sticking out of his chest, Forrest apparently let the archer shoot him - not one - but two times before deciding to call an ambulance. Say what you will about the guy, you can't deny he's dedicated!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

PerilPastry posted:

Say what you will about the guy, you can't deny he's dedicated!
I mean, he broke up his marriage for the show last year. I don't think anyone could question Forrest's dedication to his job.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Painfully underwatched and one of the best shows on TV last year.

I give it 5 stars.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The first season was a work of art. No idea how they can top it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The summer drought of TV is worth it for a second season of Review. Can't wait.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, oh man. Starting off strong.

Edit: Oh, Forrest.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 31, 2015

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

muscles like this? posted:

Haha, oh man. Starting off strong.

Edit: Oh, Forrest.

It's not Forrest's fault, it is blackmail's.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is why you blackmail someone you don't know personally.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Alison Tolman is so awesome

AHAHHAHAHAHA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, the guy had knee pads on.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

The guy who shot him showing up again later trying to cut the line for the gloryhole was pretty great.

I hope this isn't the last we've seen of Tolman this season. Also have a feeling that the veto booth addition will backfire spectacularly.

Really strong start to the season, so glad this show is back. I've also added a running tally of this season's reviews to the OP.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
What an awesome start to this season, goddamn.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

This is why you blackmail someone you don't know personally.
Or at least someone you don't want to cuddle with you.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Man they really hit the ground running with the first episode this season, great stuff.

Really interested to see how the veto stuff turns out, you just know it's going to backfire spectacularly.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Right after he uses the second veto:

"What's it like to commit suicide?"

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

How did I not hear of this show until yesterday? So good. I couldn't stop watching.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

So amazing and funny. I couldn't believe his plan for the blackmail and that he kept going through it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to see Forrest's life get ruined in brand new ways! That episode was a great start.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice, there's a thread! Premiere was fantastic. Couldn't believe how quickly it all fell apart this time. Insanely excited for the rest.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Haha, the guy had knee pads on.

I loved that whole exchange. You have the knee pads guy shocked that someone opened the door and then dumbfounded about being asked if he saw where the woman went who was just in there.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Shampoo looks like Brooke Shields

Oh poo poo! It's Mary Birdsong!

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 7, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Loved the little conversation with Grant about what happened to Forrest between the two seasons.

Also that sad little queef at the end

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

Also that sad little queef at the end

I thought that was Forrest whimpering?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think it would be fitting for the reviews to just keep getting worse and worse, and Forrest refusing to use his vetoes until the very end, when he's been broken again, and the final two reviews are something like "I'm lactose intolerant, what's it like to drink milk?" or "I have allergies, what's it like to walk in a park?"

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I predict the veto booth theme will make me laugh every single time this season.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I'm really hoping he gains and loses a new girlfriend in each episode

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Davros1 posted:

I think it would be fitting for the reviews to just keep getting worse and worse, and Forrest refusing to use his vetoes until the very end, when he's been broken again, and the final two reviews are something like "I'm lactose intolerant, what's it like to drink milk?" or "I have allergies, what's it like to walk in a park?"

Any way you slice it, those vetoes are going to have a hilarious payoff. I'm hoping for a review request to come in that's so horrible that Forrest literally runs immediately to the veto booth in response. Bonus points if his reaction is to something seemingly innocuous or not that difficult, so we can learn a bit about some weird trauma from his past.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm hoping he uses both vetoes in the same episode for trivial things then is immediately hit with something equivalent to his divorce review.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if he kept turning down vetos for various horrible things, with AJ pleading with him to use it each time until he gets to the last episode with both vetos still unused and burns them just to burn them and ends up having to do yet another two horrible things.

Actually I really hope he uses one of his vetos on 100 pancakes, or in some other way we get another pancake callback.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 10, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, that Mile High Club review made me cringe for Forrest. He's going to be a babbling husk of a human being by the time this show ends.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

dik-dik posted:

pancake callback.
I like how he has adopted the pancakes diner as his unofficial meeting spot, like with the sex addict guy from last season or the gay guy from last episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Illinois Smith posted:

I like how he has adopted the pancakes diner as his unofficial meeting spot, like with the sex addict guy from last season or the gay guy from last episode.

It had one of the worst moments of his life and then the best.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
While I haven't seen any episodes of the Remake (might look out for them on Comedy Central here though) you can watch most of the Australian version on youtube, here is the first episode:
Stealing, Dickheads, Risk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eLLNQzOMU
It was made by a government broadcaster and was released 7 years ago so they don't care about full episodes on youtube.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

bobkatt013 posted:

It had one of the worst moments of his life and then the best.
I greeted the prospect of all this pan-fried dough with just a vast. empty. numbness.

That's when I realized...the pancakes couldn't kill me, because I was already dead.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I love this show and it's off to a great start but I seriously don't see how it can top the first season. "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes" might be one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Brightman posted:

I love this show and it's off to a great start but I seriously don't see how it can top the first season. "Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes" might be one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

100% agreed. They went all out on season 1 and I don't think this season will match it but even so it's still better than the vast majority of other shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Andy has stated in a recent interview they had no idea whether or not the show would get renewed which is why they went balls out so much in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Lol, he's going to sleep with Lennon Parham after being married to Jessica St Clair

• Locked thread