Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Problem description: I have a Cisco DPQ3925 (combo router/modem) provided by my cable company. The router is downstairs in my living room. When my laptop is downstairs, https://speedtest.net reports about 15 Mbps which is pretty much what the cable company says I should get. When I take it upstairs to my office, I continue to get 15 Mbps for maybe an hour or so, and then it will drop precipitously to 1-2 Mbps and stay there until I take the laptop downstairs again. My whole house is less than 850 square feet, and the upstairs office is directly over the downstairs living room so if you drew a straight line from my computer to the router it would be maybe 9 feet (obviously, with the floor between them). I can't figure out why it seems to "keep" it's signal/speed and then it loses it. It's highly annoying because I work from home, so I like to be in my office. Moving the router upstairs is an option but one I'd really rather avoid if possible.

Attempted fixes: I have called the cable company who has checked the router and the firmware, and they did one of their "hard resets" on it. I have tried unplugging/turning off/disconnecting everything that's connected to the router except for my computer (other devices are Vonage phone box, Roku, one iPhone, one Android phone). I have downloaded inSSIDer and used it to select a different channel - I'm in a Townhouse community so pretty much all the 2.4ghz channels are pretty clogged. I have updated the drivers for my computer's wifi adapter/chipset.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

System specs: Dell Latitude E5440 w/ Intel I7-4600U 2.7ghz, 8GB RAM. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 adapter. Router is a Cisco DPQ3925.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
From googling, and Amazon reviews, it seems like people hate that wireless. I'd see if you can kick it into Modem mode, and buy a Wireless router to use with it.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
drat I didn't even think of that. I have a perfectly good Linksys WRT54GL sitting in a closet. I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Well that seems to have fixed things as best I can tell. Thanks again.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I would recommend upgrading to a decent Wireless-AC router, old Linksys models don't really offer acceptable performance for modern Internet connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Alereon posted:

I would recommend upgrading to a decent Wireless-AC router, old Linksys models don't really offer acceptable performance for modern Internet connections.

Thanks. I'll get a nice one sometime in the next couple months, I'm just glad to be able to download things quickly in my office for the time being.

• Locked thread