Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wilderthanmild posted:

On a serious note, it's crazy that the Fukushima disaster was potentially so much worse than Chernobyl, but appears to been contained much better. You'd think multiple reactors fully melting down and a few more partially melting would practically be the end of Japan, but somehow it's been contained to releasing about 20% as much as Chernobyl did.

Eh, it's just Goofus and Gallant with the former shitfaced on vodka to boot.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

You're fucktarded.

If your entire argument is nuclear power is bad because a woefully managed and badly placed nuclear plant had a meltdown due to a highly destructive earthquake, all you've actually made is an argument for better sites, safety standards and oversight. Now if your argument is how do we safely store nuclear waste, you have a compelling argument about the long-term costs of nuclear power. But it your argument is flowers have mutated because of a preventable meltdown so we should ban nuclear power, then your argument is simplistic and primarily an appeal to raw emotion. Hint: I don't even support nuclear energy, at least not as cure-all solution to energy problems. But your post almost makes me want to support it.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
OP, if you believe stupid things, do you also believe in the moon landing conspiracy

Are you "just asking questions"

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
ops that one guy who killed himself driving into a tree trying to escape the three mile island "meltdown"

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Applewhite posted:

I don't think nuclear power fans also advocate earthquakes that cause uncontrolled radiation leaks.
Pls show pictures of daisies growing near nuclear power plants that have not been the site of accidents.

i am in favor of nuclear power as well as any and all potential accidents that could cause nuclear catastrophes, ftge

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i think SimEarth predicted this like Deus Ex predicted 9/11

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

i think SimEarth predicted this like Deus Ex predicted 9/11

if you think "almost unchanged" applies to the earth's temperature right now compared with past cycles, much less in 25-50 years, then you are incredibly stupid

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i support buttflowers

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

if you think "almost unchanged" applies to the earth's temperature right now compared with past cycles, much less in 25-50 years, then you are incredibly stupid

sry u lost me

i wasnt very good at that game either, mass extinctions were always occuring even when i was trying to create a winning planet

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

My electric bill went up because my power company is building a nuclear plant somewhere and passing the cost on to me so gently caress nuclear power.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

This thread brings up a great point, why DONT we have ninja turtles yet?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

sry u lost me

i wasnt very good at that game either, mass extinctions were always occuring even when i was trying to create a winning planet

well here i'll simplify it into terms even a baby boomer can understand: we've been taking the temperature every day of every year for many years and we can use science to find out temperatures from before when we had thermometers, and with the power of numbers we can see that things are getting hotter

wait i failed because baby boomers still dont understand even something that loving simple

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
libertarian dude on my facebook posted a climate change denying article the other day and i asked him if he saw any merit to using renewable energy just based on the fact that it wont run out, regardless of issues with climate change and he said "yeah but i think the markets will trend towards that when the time is right" and i just responded with "lol"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Applewhite posted:

I don't think nuclear power fans also advocate earthquakes that cause uncontrolled radiation leaks.

fans of nuclear power aren't advocates of letting your facilities loving rot to the point where inspectors come around and tell you "holy poo poo this isn't a matter of 'if' this plant melts down, it's just straight up when," which is an actual thing that happened like a couple weeks before the fukushima disaster

as it turns out, private companies who care more about the bottom line than spending money on maintenance shouldn't be allowed to control nuke plants

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
build all future facilities on top of giant hovercrafts

you're welcome, mankind

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

libertarian dude on my facebook posted a climate change denying article the other day and i asked him if he saw any merit to using renewable energy just based on the fact that it wont run out, regardless of issues with climate change and he said "yeah but i think the markets will trend towards that when the time is right" and i just responded with "lol"

wow you really showed him
do you have a newsletter

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

wilderthanmild posted:

On a serious note, it's crazy that the Fukushima disaster was potentially so much worse than Chernobyl, but appears to been contained much better. You'd think multiple reactors fully melting down and a few more partially melting would practically be the end of Japan, but somehow it's been contained to releasing about 20% as much as Chernobyl did.

Almost as if the Japanese are better than the Ukrainians.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

I saw dandelions do this frequently growing up. I didn't live near any nuclear power plants but instead was near the site of the largest mass execution (as court ordered instead of just cuz) of native americans in the country.

What I'm saying is angry native american ghosts did it. Anime native american ghosts since it's in Japan.

:ghost:

they are called ainu.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hmm... an improvement

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If I could buy a radioisotope thermoelectric generator for my house for under $30,000 I'd do it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^^ I saw an article some years ago, how the Japanese(?) were developing this mini-reactor. Something like, the size of a car or whatever, had enough fuel for 10 or 30 years and could power a good sized factory just by itself.

The White Dragon posted:

fans of nuclear power aren't advocates of letting your facilities loving rot to the point where inspectors come around and tell you "holy poo poo this isn't a matter of 'if' this plant melts down, it's just straight up when," which is an actual thing that happened like a couple weeks before the fukushima disaster

as it turns out, private companies who care more about the bottom line than spending money on maintenance shouldn't be allowed to control nuke plants

And it STILL took a loving 9.0 quake AND a tsunami to actually do any breaching.
Sounds pretty goddamn safe to me.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
yeah, but the word nuclear sounds scary and i dont understand it so it must bad. much like gmo

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

And it STILL took a loving 9.0 quake AND a tsunami to actually do any breaching.
Sounds pretty goddamn safe to me.

Not to mention that it was an outdated plant with somewhat lax safety measures.

I remember seeing a coal plant destroyed in that same quake that was just puking black, oily soot into the air. I wonder why no one lost their poo poo over that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It was lol when English teachers living in the other half of Japan quit and flew home to Methhead, Texas because of "safety"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Drop two nuclear bombs and America doesn't bat an eye. Melt down one power plant and Californians are buying iodine tablets for $300/pill.

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Now you have to get the owner of the nuclear power plant to refuse to eat it in front of the media.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

These daisies have been growing by the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant. Is this what you want to happen to you? That's what Nuclear Power is doing to us.

rad

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Amarcarts posted:

Solar power FTW shine baby shine

lol, solar power has killed twice as much people as nuclear has. People falling down from the roof when installing panels has a better kill ratio than nuclear.
Next up, how much radioactivity gets released when they pulverise granite to dig out rare earth minerals you need to use wind power!
Everything is hosed!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Why is nobody coming up with numbers for the bananas worth of radiation released? These are very important facts that people critical of nuclear power should know. How else are we going to understand the impact this tragedy had on the environment if we don't know how many bananas worth of radiation there are? We have to know how many bananas they are hiding so we van warn the world of the dangers of banana radioactivity.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Azur posted:

lol, solar power has killed twice as much people as nuclear has. People falling down from the roof when installing panels has a better kill ratio than nuclear.
Next up, how much radioactivity gets released when they pulverise granite to dig out rare earth minerals you need to use wind power!
Everything is hosed!

This is blatant pro-nuclear propoganda. Solar power hasn't killed anyone. Maybe a wicked sunburn, but nothing even close to nuclear power. Did you even READ the OP?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

These daisies have been growing by the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant. Is this what you want to happen to you? That's what Nuclear Power is doing to us.

For page 3

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Azur posted:

Everything is hosed!

yeah, but that environmental destruction is happening in china, which is far away

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Almost as if the Japanese are better than the Ukrainians.

Belorussians

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
i propose we change the name of nuclear power to neutron assisted power generation

nobody will have any clue and we can hit the boomers with targeted ad campaigns that appeal to their nostalgia and maybe show some footage of woodstock

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
YO! It's the green machine
Gonna rock the town without being seen
Have you ever seen a turtle Get Down?
Slammin and Jammin to the new swing sound

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

i am in favort of butt daises and also nuclear power

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

This is blatant pro-nuclear propoganda. Solar power hasn't killed anyone. Maybe a wicked sunburn, but nothing even close to nuclear power. Did you even READ the OP?

A Brazilian guy drove a bus into a windmill and a bunch of people died, making wind power more dangerous than nuclear. It's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to a solar panel installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to a Nuclear Power plant.

Agreed, Jeffrey.

• Locked thread