Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will dethrone ZSB First for Titles?
Miami
GT
UNC
NCSU
BC
FSU
Clemson
EA Sports
NO ONE
View Results

• Locked thread
John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm so competitive I know I'll get frustrated with losing out on top recruits. You guys are helping a bit the CPU still beats me out.

E: gently caress it, I'll come back with the understanding that this league is my last priority of the four. Meaning I'll get to the games in here last when there are multiple to play.

E2: I'll need another day to do my recruiting though. I won't have time tonight with starting the B1G/PAC.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

More so the thought of you winning sickens my stomach, so any chance I can ruin that (whether small or microscopic) is worth giving a shot.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

R2a.

Recruits you should remove from your board :)
#1 WR Ben Lewis
#3 WR Brent Miller
#15 WR Lamar Wright
#16 WR AJ Yancey
#3 TE Garth Heffner
#1 C Jay Jordan
#4 DT Zach Day
#7 DE Jonathan Craig
#2 CB Matt Jones

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

cletus42o posted:

GT r2a

Not sure if you listed anyone that we're competing against each other on, but remember, I have the same bug you have, so we'll be fairly competing for any that we both are going after.

You're not going to steal any of those recruits from me unless you have considerably more bonus points. It'll just be a waste of resources for you, but shoot for them if you want.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I can tell you right now that you have no shot and are wasting points. ND is going to destroy your hopes and dreams.For all we know that MLB may have already committed and it won't update until next week. The Fighting Irish may only have a few more bonus points, but you have to also factor in that they can insert 200 more weekly points than us.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Week 2

Everyone plays the CPU.

Can you please drop DE Jonathan Craig from your board? I've already had to drop 23 players from this first advance.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Slywalker13 posted:

I'll get mine in Saturday morning

Same here.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Z, I'll take that THP seeing as none of my QBs have over 82.

Also, I'd be down for a reboot with updated rosters at the end of the season, but only if everyone is okay with that too. I just think it'll level the playing field for Cletus, Dubious, and myself, and this dynasty would automatically jump to #2 in priority.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Diodeous posted:

I'm not in favor of a reboot because I've finally climbed that mountain to build NCSU to a respectable level but if it levels the playing field I'm cool with it.

You'd be able to take Clemson. You don't have to start with that team again unless you want to.

E: I just think this dynasty will truly be the last one running, and is consistently more active. The DD and SEC are full of inconsistent players who periodically go on hiatus so if we're gonna ride this until the wheels fall off I'd prefer we do it without glitches. I'd hate to have this whole negotiation over recruits for the remainder of the ACC.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 8, 2015

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm r2a

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Just booked a flight to NOLA on Labor Day Sunday...

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'll play my game either tonight or tomorrow night.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

This defense is stout. The online and passing game is suspect.

R2a

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

ZSB, can you remove DE Jonathan Craig , WR AJ Yancey, and CB Matt Jones from your board please?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

P sure I've got 0 points on Matt Jones you've been pulling away, Craig and Yancey as well no points on them either. I also can't let every decent recruit not be on my board. I've backed off the most important guys for you and Cletus. I'm p sure I can fix our roster issues in the off season either at the training stage or the position changes phase.

That's quite the exaggeration as I'm sure many of the best recruits want to go to VT after back-to-back national championships. I've been doing the same for others in the B1G and SEC and it's not hard at all. I'm a bit confused as to why you're being resistant.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Obviously you own the decision to restart or not. I just figured with 3 people affected by it that option is a no-brainer. More importantly, I wanted to avoid arguments like this because I knew eventually someone would get frustrated with having to drop recruits. I feel your pain because it took me a couple of seasons to adjust to this recruiting system, but it seems like you haven't yet as last season's class with OSU may have been your best ever. Regardless of what happens for next season I am more than willing to give you some pointers.

Knowing how you build your teams I think you put a bit too much effort into the front four - especially on the ends. After HBs and WRs, DE is the easiest position to recruit for so you could ease up a bit. A rule of thumb I have (excluding HBs, CBs, DTs and WRs) is to not recruit at a single position for consecutive years. Obviously if there's a stud I'm going to break this rule, but even with my hard-on for safeties I only keep a max of 3, with the youngest one likely being on redshirt. The reason my Nebraska roster (and pre-bugged Miami) were so stacked at every single position was because I DO recruit by need first, and then BPA second. Try going every other year on DEs and DTs and see if that helps balance out your roster.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Mostly I just want to be able to keep plugging along in this file on my own if it were possible, but I'm not sure EA will let me commish two dynasties which would mean I'd have to kill this one and yeah that makes me sad since I'd just make it an offline one if I could.

It's been very hard to only go by need as often the guys I need you end up with a recruiting class that just isn't very good at your spots of need, but there are BPA guys who you'd want to nab just from a prestige/value side.

Cletus is running two dynasties so I'll let him chime in on that. But iirc you had to buy the upgrade before they killed the ability to purchase such things.

As for recruiting, there are many times when I break my rule and decide to keep a guy rated 73-75, and by the time they become redshirted seniors many of them have jumped to at least 92OVR.

Dubious posted:

That XP bug is a killer when you're up against maxed out coaches and deep recruting classes. I'm just now getting UCLA to an acceptable level and there's still alot of holes to fill that will take one or two more recruiting classes.

Did any of my roster adjustments stick in the B1G?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Diodeous posted:

It's kind of ridiculous you're only willing to take top flight recruits and that's a terrible way to build depth. I have plenty of guys who don't start until their senior year and were only 67-72 OVR. A lot of my top classes are heavily inflated by guys who are busts but have high star ratings. I have only been able to recruit on the same level as most of you guys for the past couple of seasons. I just suck it up, shift my scheme dependent on what players I have and pray that my defense isn't a total sieve. If you guys are #1 on a recruit I back off and find someone else who can fill that roster spot until the next cycle. You don't need a team of only 90+ OVR players to be competitive.

This is true, but if you don't have a team of only 90+ OVR starters then you're not beating VT. History has taught us this.

Before you joined our league I ran with NC State and Wake and built them both to championship contenders. I'll never do that with this stupid bug.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

How many attempts did it take you lol?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Just be careful with injury ratings. That was also one of the big flaws in the first two seasons of the SEC - guys were dropping like flies.

If we're restarting I vote we go back to divisions since we have the players to do so. I'm gonna roll with Pitt. This will be the last dynasty and I want to see if I can still turn a franchise around, but I'd also like to stay in the division with V-Tech.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

gently caress yea. I can't wait to use Pitt.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

gently caress this stupid rear end team.

You can sim my game.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Then uhh I guess I'll play that NCSU squad and advance us along in the next day or two. Sorry Dio, hopefully by time we start the new file you'll be back up and running.

I've edited most of the rosters for the most obvious players, but I'm sorta waiting to see how the start of the season goes in case I missed anything obvious.

In other words you're putting off a new league until you can get your annual smash in on Miami :(

You have literally nothing to prove in this league at this point lol. Sometimes I wonder why you still bother to play this game?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

We can duke it out next advance if you'd like? It'll likely be an embarrassment to Miami's, but I'm down to throw my controller a few times.

E: You've got to know that your team is this uber because I'm in a position to challenge you. The last time we played was comical.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 26, 2015

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm torn on which team I'll go with only because I'll have a much better chance of sticking it to Z with Da U. The idea of building a program excites me, but Pitt will need at least 4 seasons to catch up to VT.

My biggest flaw with Miami was not recruiting ATH QBs until I had no coach XP.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I can put the roster I've edited onto my EA locker and you guys can download it to look at it if there is interest.

I trust your judgement. You know much more about college football than I, and as long as you've shown awareness to the INJ and STA ratings then I'm good to go.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Z, do you want to beat me Saturday morning?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

That sounds appropriate. Like 10 or 11 CT?

Let's make it 11am. I'm not completely sure where I'll be in the morning.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Ready when you are.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

VT voodoo magic per usual.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

FYI I've given up on recruiting.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Let's get on with the inevitable.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm never going to quit any league again. Indefinite AP from here on out. Also, think I'm going to make my own coach in fear of Pitt's not being lvl 20.

E: What is the coach progression set to? Slow, normal, or fast?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Slywalker13 posted:

My thumb is healed but now I have a cornea infection. Just put me on AP in both leagues until I post otherwise.

Omg dude. I've never had any type of eye infection but that sounds horrible.

Get better :ohdear:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So uh...Practice Mode works right now.

Also, r2a.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Perhaps the beginning stage of a dynasty is the only one in which nothing is bugged?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Just want to give everyone the heads-up that I'll be out of town Sun-Tues.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Someone should reach out to Sly and tell him to join now so he won't get the coach xp bug.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

This weekend is the glorious christmas of college football so even when we advance to week 1, we won't be moving beyond that super quickly. I'm aware of the holiday business.

Doesn't matter. If we advance to week 1 before he joins he's hosed.

E: I just sent him a DM via GroupMe.

John Brown fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Since this is a fresh dynasty it should be okay with your first join...

I thought the issue was rejoining a dynasty where you had already been a member. Is the actual issue that not joining during the preseason of S1 is the disastrous part?

Yes. Dubious joined the B1G after we already started and he's got the bug. Also, Vandy of the SEC has it and he joined after we started.

• Locked thread