Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The thing that bugs me the most is the credit Obama gets for the recent successes of the LGBT movement. I can't recall a single substantial thing Obama or his administration has done for it. He sat still for two years while the Log Cabin Republicans sued the government to repeal the law, which Obama's DoJ worked to defend. It was often suggested that Obama, as commander in chief of the entire armed forces, could unilaterally issue an executive order prohibiting DADT from being applied. Apologist cried "he can't just ignore the sacred law!" Then when a district court did just that, the DoJ requested a stay on the ruling, got turned down by the district court, but kept pressing until the ninth circuit court granted the stay, thus preserving DADT. So basically, a loving Republican organization did the fighting for LGBT rights while Obama's administration did just about everything in their power to gently caress over the LGBT movement. Ultimately congress (loving congress) took the initiative and passed a bill repealing DADT. The bill fell in Obama's lap, so he signed it. There were a lot of cameras and people smiled and I think I threw up a little bit.

The take home message is that the LGBT movement made great progress not because of Obama, but rather in spite of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Jagchosis posted:

You're forgetting helping DOMA being struck down by refusing to defend it in court. His administration has done great things for transgender rights as well.

The most you could say for Obama is that sometimes he stepped aside and allowed other people to fight the important battles without interfering. I don't see that as extraordinary. He also definitely has given some relief to federal employees and contractors, for which he deserves some credit. But that's because moves like that required practically no political risk on his part. He hasn't spent any political capital on the LGBT movement, unlike the Log Cabin Republicans who basically became pariahs to advocate their cause. Ironically, Obama is going to be the one getting the credit.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

N. Senada posted:

Pre-existing conditions can't be used to gently caress over people. This is something to be happy about.

I agree with you and it doesn't go far enough to stop companies pursuing profit off of illness, but it's super hosed up to neglect to think about the 'little people' when considering this kind of poo poo.

Then again, somebody told me that pre-existing conditions would have ultimately fallen out of favor regardless of the ACA and I don't know enough about the climate of the healthcare industry to know if this is the case.

My basic summary of the ACA is that if something like single payer is the true long term goal, then the ACA did move us a tiny step down a road towards that, but left us at a dead end. As others mentioned, it makes our problematic system more tolerable, but also entrenches it. Making more substantial progress toward single payer will basically require that the ACA be discarded first. So it actually made the task of achieving single payer more difficult in the long run.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

-Troika- posted:

Judicidal Watch has the emails right on their website. Are you claiming these emails are fake?

They have a lot of interesting poo poo:

Benghazi: What The Government Wants Us To Think
Oregon Offers Minors Taxpayer-Funded Sex Change Sans Parental Consent
U.S. Pays Black Comedian to Deliver Anti-White Racist Tirade at Fed Agency
Mexican Cartels Smuggle Terrorists into U.S. Through Rural Texas Border Region
CDC Official Calls Obama Worst President, Amateur, Marxist After Influx of Illegal Alien Minors

Yeah this is straight up ad hom but seriously are you making GBS threads me.

• Locked thread