Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Then Before Now Once More

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I too am deeply concerned by imaginary science fiction shows and how they work, thanks op

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

No. 6 posted:

How the gently caress would it even work? Unless you're teleporting into a complete vacuum you'd be appearing in the middle of existing matter. I"m sure all that air, dust, or the passing space-bee which is now materialized inside your head is good for you.

anyone who understands the physics better than I do feel free to correct me but I believe the "new" you is being constructed from pre-existing leptons being re-arranged into the quantum configuration of yours via entanglement

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm just never going to go to sleep again

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

concerned mom posted:

We are doomed to never reach another solar system imo

there's only one solar system

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Mind over matter is bullshit. Mind is matter.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I did an undergrad philosophy unit on bioethics and the lecturer mentioned something awful and goons at one point. Are you still around philosophy lecturer goon? Please let us know your opinion on what star trek teleporters have to tell us about the mind body problem.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Professor Shark posted:

I'm just never going to go to sleep again

Ever heard of microsleep? If you go without sleep for any amount of time your brain just naturally lapses into sleep for a few minutes or even just a short moment. It's fun and kinda surreal when you experience it, you suddenly jolt awake again after drifting off. Well, it's fun when you're not operating a vehicle or heavy machinery. Each of those little moments the you that is you is gone. And when you come to a moment later it's an entirely new pattern of neurological energy.

Face it, you, the very person I am saying this to right now, the person, the soul, the ego, the self, you are going to cease to exist in a few hours. And your brain itself will physically not allow any more time.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moon Atari posted:

I did an undergrad philosophy unit on bioethics and the lecturer mentioned something awful and goons at one point. Are you still around philosophy lecturer goon? Please let us know your opinion on what star trek teleporters have to tell us about the mind body problem.

there is no mind body problem, mind is a property of the body, anyone who says otherwise is a human being

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Your mind is distributed in every nerve. Your heart and guts are also part of your mind. A brain in a jar is not a human.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

Your mind is distributed in every nerve. Your heart and guts are also part of your mind. A brain in a jar is not a human.

But if someone's arm gets cut off, are they less of the same person?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IronClaymore posted:

Ever heard of microsleep? If you go without sleep for any amount of time your brain just naturally lapses into sleep for a few minutes or even just a short moment. It's fun and kinda surreal when you experience it, you suddenly jolt awake again after drifting off. Well, it's fun when you're not operating a vehicle or heavy machinery. Each of those little moments the you that is you is gone. And when you come to a moment later it's an entirely new pattern of neurological energy.

Face it, you, the very person I am saying this to right now, the person, the soul, the ego, the self, you are going to cease to exist in a few hours. And your brain itself will physically not allow any more time.

I'm going to start writing everything down so I can remember yesterday so I can solve this terrible curse

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

IronClaymore posted:

But if someone's arm gets cut off, are they less of the same person?

Yes, although skin and muscle have very little effect on your mind. The torso is more important, especially the dick n balls.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

notZaar posted:

Yes, although skin and muscle have very little effect on your mind. The torso is more important, especially the dick n balls.

my dick and balls identify as an astral were fox

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

would it be ethical to enslave a brain in a jar if its not a person

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
No because as the teleporter disassembles you the technology streams your quantum pattern of mind into a cache that is the equivalent of a virtual body until the physical body can be reassembled. As this happens the pattern is streamed into the physical body. The continuity of your entire existence is maintained the entire time. An advanced teleporter could theoretically maintain the right half of your fleshy body on the ship while the left half was on the planet, beaming the molecules of your blood/lymph/neurotransmitters/eletrical signals between each half as needed. It would be a psychologically jarring experience though.

I'm not even a trekkie I literally just made the above up.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

would it be ethical to enslave a brain in a jar if its not a person

how can you enslave a brain. Like what can u make it do??

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

So, if someone's castrated, they're not only less of a man, they're less of a person?

Someone post that stdh.txt about the guy who let himself be castrated by his gay lover. Because can you honestly say that guy was less of a man after he had been de-cocked, than before as a person allowing himself to be de-cocked and castrated? Can you be less of a person?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
*is a brain in a jar*

*gets "enslaved" by THS*

*continues thinking bout pussys and tities uninterrupted*

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
at what point is a discarded fingernail clipping no longer you

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Op is my philosophy prof

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Oberleutnant posted:

how can you enslave a brain. Like what can u make it do??

you could like poke it or make it solve sudoku

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Op is my philosophy prof

Class remember to read your Zissou for tomorrow's lecture, which will be held in #Paleo Cafe

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

IronClaymore posted:

So, if someone's castrated, they're not only less of a man, they're less of a person?

Someone post that stdh.txt about the guy who let himself be castrated by his gay lover. Because can you honestly say that guy was less of a man after he had been de-cocked, than before as a person allowing himself to be de-cocked and castrated? Can you be less of a person?
Yes of course a person who has lost his only reason for existence is less of a person. Doesn't mean they can't contribute to society (look at super cripple Hawkins for example)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

No. 6 posted:

How the gently caress would it even work? Unless you're teleporting into a complete vacuum you'd be appearing in the middle of existing matter. I"m sure all that air, dust, or the passing space-bee which is now materialized inside your head is good for you.
It makes you from the inside out. That crazy teleport sound is the pressure wave created from your creation.

IronClaymore posted:

The self is the sum total of memories. The neural activity that wipes during sleep is just a facilitating mechanism for collection and recollection of memories. The good news is, don't need to be afraid of sleep. The bad news is amnesia is a lot like dying. The strange news is you can never sense the world as what it is, only as what it was a few moments ago. Alternately you die every quantifiable moment because the old self gets shuffled into memory of the new self.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

Yes of course a person who has lost his only reason for existence is less of a person. Doesn't mean they can't contribute to society (look at super cripple Hawkins for example)

Hawkin still wrote a best selling book. And still had his reasons for living, he divorced his college wife and ran (wheeled) off with his nurse. I bet some of his sensory nerves still function! And all his work is all involved in the mind. Quantum and general relatively bullshit is loving twisty and impossible. The maths is crazy and stupid and a calculator doesn't help. May as well get a guy who can't do anything else deal with that stuff while the rest of us keep society running.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
An interesting and new idea for these forums; I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

your soul would go and find the new body probably

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

there is no mind body problem, mind is a property of the body, anyone who says otherwise is a human being

I agree completely and in hindsight recommend avoiding philosophy units unless you have a strong tolerance for people desperately pretending to be intelligent.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My cousin majored in Philosophy and had a lot of really deep ideas about True Detective's first season as well as Breaking Bad.

It turns out he's just bipolar or something lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also I'm disregarding the sleep = death poo poo from this thread, gently caress thattt

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Moon Atari posted:

I agree completely and in hindsight recommend avoiding philosophy units unless you have a strong tolerance for people desperately pretending to be intelligent.

Don't be stupid. The risk isn't encountering people who think they are intelligent and having to deal with them. Sure that's annoying. But the risk is contracting their mental affliction of being utter smug douche bags.

Edit:

Professor Shark posted:

Also I'm disregarding the sleep = death poo poo from this thread, gently caress thattt
Congratulations on being a sane person.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 31, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

maybe your mind is a physical construct, mine is totally a separate thing

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

maybe your mind is a physical construct, mine is totally a separate thing

prove it retard

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
what if you transported a transporter pad that was transporting someone at the time?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You'll never get me in one of those demon machines, shuttles all the way.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Worrying about dying and an exact clone being made is pretty old.

What you should be worried about is being helpless while suffering an excruciating death during a transporter accident. If you're in some sort of quantum state during the accident does that make it 'seem' like an eternity of suffering?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

zedprime posted:

The self is the sum total of memories. The neural activity that wipes during sleep is just a facilitating mechanism for collection and recollection of memories. The good news is, don't need to be afraid of sleep. The bad news is amnesia is a lot like dying. The strange news is you can never sense the world as what it is, only as what it was a few moments ago. Alternately you die every quantifiable moment because the old self gets shuffled into memory of the new self.

Can't wait for my old self to disassociate from my body so it can smoke weed with my new self :2bong:

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

what about all the particles of pee pee and doodoo that are in u at the time are they reintegrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

You'll never get me in one of those demon machines, shuttles all the way.

So here's me, the transporter tech. Your shuttle will take ten minutes to dock with us and consume a gazillion gallons of fuel doing so. Maybe I just do a thing, you find yourself onboard, or a version of you does with all your memories identical with you in every way, using some energy to matter replicator thingies no one knows about but me. (Not really energy to matter the atoms of your new body are taken from the air there's plenty of spare atoms in the hold.)

And then I call my buddy on the phaser battery who blasts the shuttle. As far as you know, you took a shuttle craft to the ship, you disembarked, you are now on the ship. But I put some fake memories in there. The real you was blasted into space dust by my buddy, you're just some clone I made up in the replicator. You still have all the old guy's memories. But he/you, you're still dead buddy!

• Locked thread