Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Yeah I cant connect to poo poo.
Game says its a firewall issue but I disabled the whole thing and tat didn't change anything.

Despite never connecting to a match my record says I'm 3-2 and ranked me up for it.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I don't think any of the characters seem that out of balance.
Approaching without jumping is something people need to learn about Chel, because she can literally always punish a jump over her fireballs.
No air blocks makes the issue more claimant.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Wont lie, the rage is real.
Talos is my current source of whining, because his stupid forward kick beats multi hit moves like vlads special 3.

It's nice that people are whining about a colorful array of different things though, the game is probably super balanced because nothing is.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I picked up talos to try it out and forward heavy is basically his go to move.
You can only reasonably punish it if he uses it point blank more or less, and if you are expecting it (as it catches jumps) you have to standing block.

Talos is weird as a grappler because he doesn't have a movement biased move that he can cancel or put a throw on the end.
No burning Zangief hand, hammerfall or otherwise; his throw mix-up is "block my bonkers kick" or "block my wake-up meaty"
Something about it just feels wrong.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The trick to Talos is just to never go in.
Chip the fat man to death.
I figured out grapplers in fightan vidja.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I feel like Crow and Edge are currently the best characters, but for stupid reasons.

Get rid of crows projectiles hitting on the way up and he can keep his crazy offence but not have a really solid defensive tool.
Get rid of Edge slide. gently caress Edge slide. It's safe on all but wiff for gods sake.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I always end up maining the poo poo tiers.
Is Vlad Getting a respectable low? More fuel?
The ability to air block? A crossup jet cancel of any kind?
The ability to fly over anti airs without hitting the top of the screen?

I thirst.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 2, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I still think i prefer barrier Vlad just for the fact that his combos are already long and hit hard, not getting ruined by better characters is more the issue.

Here's a code for anyone still looking.

OI79C-BQ39M-QGPPU-3T52Y-273O3

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I often jump follow a fireball anyway and am kind of sick of spending a meter when i didn't want to use it.
His damage off throw and safe dp are amazing though, much better than taking a hit off the dp and spending the bar to not die.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
It's just a super.

Also as somone who is a platinum ranked Vlad, I can say with a minor degree of psuedo-credibility that the sucker doesn't have one advantageous matchup.
Crow is the possible exception, which is weird - But Dauntless can punish your special 3 with a jab on block, Chel has better normals than you as well as a better ranged game, and Talos is a unique problem.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Talos back medium is used for its combo potential after forward heavy and as a move with vacuum effect.

A proper talos 6H combo is:
Forward H -> Back M -> airgrab

Alternatively, you can go for a reset. Dont do the airgrab and hit/grab them as they land behind you. This is gimmicky and should be considered as a trick with high risk and reward.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Section Z posted:

Is my newbie opinion wrong in thinking Talos's lightning pull move is complete garbage? Even if I DO hit with it, people hit ME with grabs or hits before I can chain a punch, grab (which is usually out of range to hit) or the clothesline, jesus.

Its good for pulling someone back in at close range after a pressure string.
The issue is Talos doesn't have real pressure strings and it doesn't help him break distance.

You can multi-hit it to follow with a lariat for a knockdown. If it hits, don't try anything else. Something that may be interesting is that it MAY leave the opponent in a throwable state, so you could S3 into super maybe.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
The could jump, reversal or otherwise to get out of it.
They stay blocking because they expect the folowup. Good players can wait for the second followup, realize the pause and then get out though.

I'm not saying not to use it, because its good.
I'm saying its not as amazing of a tool as it is proving to be. Grapplers in fighters tend to devour new players who don't know how to deal with their poo poo.
A few pages back I was furious that Vlad has no answer to Talos boot.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Dauntles's jab punishes Vlads special 3.
Supers can't punish that, that's loving horrible.

Also jab scaling into super is the most painful thing in the world, she gets 1/3rd hp bar from jab scaling.
Is this intended? No other character can pull this off.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Jmcrofts posted:

Vlad's special 3 is a combo ender. I don't know why people are expecting it to be safe.

It's safe to everyone else. It's like dictators light flip kick, it does chip and isn't punishable by itself and can be used as a pressure chain ender to leave you in a decent spot.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

CaptCommy posted:

What options does Dauntless have against Vlad? It's the only matchup that gives me trouble anymore, because his stupid uppercut stuffs any attempts at pressure I try to start. I can get in on him but then I have no way to make him block high, since overheads and jumping both get stuffed super hard by that thing.

If you can bait the uppercut, you're golden. His uppercut has short range meaning you can be just outside of it for medium/hard hit pressure on wakeup or a combo if he wiffs.
Block high always unless at point blank waking up, Vlad has no low real lows apart from C.Ligh.
Dust breaker advance should be heartily used and abused on hit or block, as Vlad generally wants to get in it shouldn't be hard to land.
Jab punishes his spin on block, this goes into special 1 super making Vlads most useful chip/pressure tool disappear from the matchup.
Vlads Jab is exceptionally weak, You can special 1 in any time you see a projectile coming due it it being functionally safe on block against him.

Honestly, as a Vlad player I think Dauntless is his worst matchup. Dauntless doesn't seem like an exceptionally amazing character but against Vlad you control the space where he wants to be.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
It's better than Vlads projectile too.
Wasn't this patch supposed to nerf Edge?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Chel's crossup moves her hurtbox in a bogus way.
If flips you over them instantly even if you didn't have the jump angle to pull it off. It's secretly her best tool for offence, I don't see many people use it because they are locked into zoning mode.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Normally grapplers come out of the gate swinging and winning everything.
RT is actually so simplistic that it was really easy to deny Talos a lot of his game without much intuition; only now are people figuring out how to get and stay in with him with consistency.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
What actually blows Talos up are crossups, his special2 is too slow to correct or catch them.
Additionally id you have a character like Chel who can pick which side she wants to attack at the peak of the jump arc Talos mostly has to resign himself to blocking perfectly.

Honestly, because (->H Airgrab Jab S3) works i don't know why Talos has an airgrab. This isn't a game where you can block in the air anyway, why not get a lariat that actually works as both an anti-air and a defensive tool?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I don't understand why Crow players use K-advance.
I know everyone else wants them but you have no way out of pressure and your oki is scary enough to make "longer combos" less of a priority than simple knockdowns.

Also I finally figured out how to use Badcharacter.RUS

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 5, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I don't have time to play that much either.
I think I have less than 10 hours of sleep over the past 5 days.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Nerf Edge again.
Also make his slide unsafe for gods sake.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I can confirm that edge player is just bad and blocked afterwards instead of jabbing.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfk3tOJjaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PACuKeClDCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_muxmqphN8

It's not all applicable, but this series is a good series with a lot of things that carry over.
Telling us your favorite character can let us help you with specifics.

Specifically this is biased off Street Fighter, so being above the opponent is generally a disadvantage due to your inability to change your movement mid-jump (outside of Vladimir) as well as the inability to block. Don't worry too much about the specifics like move names and more about the larger picture.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 5, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

bhsman posted:

-Edge is listed as being a difficult character (potentially the most difficult) to use by the game, but honestly he feels kinda easy

-I have no idea what to do against a super-aggressive Talos

-Dauntless is aptly named, and often I'm not sure what my wakeup options are against her (and Talos, too).

-Universal crossups (when you jump forward and hold down + button 3/strong attack) are amazing and nobody I played tonight (admittedly among Carbon rank) consistently blocked them and they were basically free damage/Gathering Storm charges.

-Killian was right, eventually this game just turns into mindgames with your opponent, no matter the skill level. I was having fun just trying to see how my opponent would react.

1. Edge is in my opinion the easiest character to play outside of Chel. His toolkit is exceptionally well rounded and his combos are intuitive. His normals are even amazing.
2. Talos takes a while to get used to. Essentially Talos can grab you out of a dash, super armor up from a dash or bait a reversal or jump. The key to dealing with talos is proper utilization of normals and spacing- which takes some getting used to with an offence oriented character like Edge.
3. Learn to block basically. Always wake up blocking low - if you predict a throw or overhead use special 2 to get out. Crossups on knockdown are another matter entirely, but Dauntless and Talos aren't known for those.
4. They're stupid. Both you can chell can start falling physically in front of someone and switch sides with your crossups - it is an unreactable mixup on knockdown.
5. This a good game. It's simple without sacrificing depth.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Doulos posted:

Just coming from Guilty Gear, this usually means that's the best character. See Eddie, Millia, Elphelt, etc. Also, doesn't his invisibility have some invulnerability?

This is a capcom fighter though, so I'm not sure. Crow is scary but his actual mix-ups can be reacted to rather easily.

Also, Jmcrofts I have to say barrier has merit. I use advance Vlad myself but his uppercut is so short ranged that characters often just sit outside the range of it before going into pressure.
Certain characters like Vlad/Crow should consider barrier as reversals are their weak point and they don't need advance it for big damage or reliable knockdowns. Characters like Talos and Chel should 100% be using advance though.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Jmcrofts posted:

Crow I can see it. Vlad I 100% disagree. Even with the short range DP FADC is extremely powerful, as is throw->super.

Again I use advance. Against Dauntless and the like I can see it being the superior choice though.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Blazblue doesn't have links, it has gattling combos.
Anime master race.

(For real, why can you just buffer the next normal during the animation fo the previous one. Links are horrible)

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Geektox posted:

Sweet, I'll give these a go-over. I just downloaded the game today and played a few matches, and I'm really liking Edge, probably because he's my countrymen (tho I still have no idea what he's saying half the time) but I managed to pull off the Gamma->Super thing someone posted a couple pages back and got a couple of Down+Heavy->Alphas which managed to net me my first winning round, against a Legend Tier 1 no less.

Lost every round thereafter, however. I also have zero contribution to this current discussion because I don't even know what a link is.

Any other cool combos for Edge I should know about? Also I seem to have lost the most badly to Talos and Edge, and least badly to Dauntless and Chel, if that helps.

Fully charged Special 2 goes into super when you mash out all the hits.
Special 3 into the overhead gets you a special 1 into super.
Jumping crossups (Jump over opponent, down H im midair) into HH Special one is both easy and effective.
Learn your normals and what you can get off them. Light jabs go intp special 1 and super like anything else.

Despite point blank being edges preferred range most of the time, Talos prefers it more. Keep you distance and learn how to poke him out.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

SperginMcBadposter posted:

After the first time I would knock him down in the round he didn't know what to do because I just kept getting hits every time he got up. He never returned a hit in either round.

Even in this game
People just cant understand
Blocking on wakeup

In all seriousness, do people wonder why they get hit? Do people think there is always a "right choice" to wake-up with through all scenarios?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Vlad is bad, especially against opponents who know where he can shove highs and lows.
As one who recently got to legend tier, I can say with a bit of confidence that high level Vlad play is just jumping straight up or backwards and altering your jump angle with jets. Vlad relies on tricking the opponent into moving forward of their own volition more than anything.

His mixups have no variation at all. The scariest thing you can do is throw people.
H goes into jetcancel C only, no lows to change it up.
Crouching light is too short range to be useful in most scenarios.

It was fun, but I think Vlad and Talos are tied for the worst characters in the game at this point.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Whichever punch allows for

Special 2 -> Kinetic advance forward -> Medium Heavy -> Special 3-> Special 1

This wins games alone sometimes.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Safety Scissors posted:

What are the overall impressions so far. Not to be a dick, but I'd prefer opinions of people that know how to block.

In my opinion airdashers are the only good way to make a 2D fighter.
For something biased on a Capcom style fighter, I find this game surprisingly fun and solid mechanically (outside of hurtbox on universal crossups).
This game is a wonderful gateway drug to new players, and a simple way to "scratch the fighting game itch" among veterans.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Look Sharp! posted:

You can try H jetcancel land cr.L for a low. Kinda ghetto.
And from a jump in, you can either j.H land cr.L, or j.H jetcancel j.H for a legit mixup. Easy to set up from a kinetic canceled rocket, too.

I get what you're saying, but my point is twofold.
-Highs will always do more damage than lows because eight hit scaling.
-Where you can put lows are highly limited

If standing H gatlinged into C.Medium, and C.Medium went onto Rush than Vlad would have a mix-up outside of oki shenanigans or unoptimal air play.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Once you get to Legend Tier 1 you can't rank up anymore.
You can still rank down though, and that happens with a single loss. :kheldragar:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Gauntless is in a weird place.
Chel/Edge have better toolkits and better damage.

Dauntless plays almost like a zoner, you just keep poking people at the range where your normals connect and thiers don't.
On the bright side, Jab S1 Super is still bonkers scaling and can be abused.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Every character has a way with dealing with Chel.

Vlad- shorthop pack forward for safe air approach or rapid overhead
Talos- Armor up or grab from a forward dash depending on the read.
Crow - Zone harder
Edge - Gets in for free
Dauntless - S1 through fireball, once you get to midrange

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Confirming into super off jab with Dauntless will get you like 300 damage at most and 200-ish if you use multiple jabs. Not exactly seeing what's bonkers about that.

Jab scaling normally kills damage in this game.
300 damage off of the fastest normal in the game (Faster than most DP's as well) is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Scaling is based solely on number of moves in a combo, with some moves (mostly ones that launch) counting as "two moves". It's not any different for Dauntless. Edge can do cr.L -> S1 -> Super and do 300 damage, and Edge's cr.L is faster and his Special 1 is safer. Talos can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage. Vlad can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage...

Dauntless combo damage is way lower than everybody else and super is literally the only way she can do respectable damage off of a confirm.

Point well made.
Can't argue with it.

So we all basically agree on tiers?

Top: Edge
High: Chel/Crow
Mid: Vlad/Dauntless
Low: Talos

• Locked thread