Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
I'm going to get one for my dad for his birthday, and man you want to talk about a giant group of alpha autists. These fuckers are having full on internet slap fights about their little peices of metal that they use to open plastic bags and cut some tape. There are pages of talk about blade hardness. Like I get well crafted not cheap parts but holy poo poo I need someone to tell me a knife that will not go dull in 3 days or snap in half cutting open a box not comparative dissertations on the edge retention compared to corrosion resistance of certain steel formulas. also I need a stiff drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
like pocket knives? i thought you meant a kitchen knife which, yeah, but dudes who sperg on pocket knives are really weird.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

So this is how gaben spends his free time

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the cara cara 2 by Byrd is approved by spyderco and costs like 30$ on amazon, I own 3 of them

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Chicago cutlery makes some nice one piece kitchen knives if that's what you want.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
hosed up if false

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I bought a really expensive Global knife for my dad once and it was real good. My sister followed my lead the next year and got him another Global knife and it was garbage

This is my knife story

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Gun, martial art, knife, and music discussions bring out the worst people

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the japs know how to make knives that's why i only use shun knives. damascus steel will cut even the most heavily armored vegetables.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I have a colt knife and I like it. I think it might be up your dads alley too.

Also your avatar made me think you came form FYAD

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.

I'm post post ironic

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

does that mean youre buying a knife or not? goddang paint huffers and there weird jokes

edit: this one has a shaver and a bone handle and is great for fans of country rock. your dad likes country rock right?

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 31, 2015

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

the only thing i know about high end knives is that counter strike global offensive says they're worth like $400 and thats fuckin bullshit even if it does count how many kills you get with it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Otacon posted:

the only thing i know about high end knives is that counter strike global offensive says they're worth like $400 and thats fuckin bullshit even if it does count how many kills you get with it
they're more rare than their IRL counterparts so I mean

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
wait until you try to buy a flashlight, same thing

fleshlights too now that I think about it

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Cold Steel forges blades for experts in the art of knifejitsu. They're pretty intense. I'd just recommend a Benchmade.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Bump

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
If you're looking for a kitchen knife the GWS thread has good advice. Dexter, CCK, and Tojiro are some of the favorites. Chefknivestogo.com was the favored site but their prices have gone up a lot. For pocket knives you can't go wrong with spyderco.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdfx7l4z5cQ

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
My friend has like a $300 Benchmade pocket knife, he showed it to me and explained it "would be the equivalent of a +1 dagger in D&D."

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
what you need to get your dad is a wasp knife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_knife

http://www.waspknife.com/

it doesn't just do the stabby and the slicey, it also does the explodey

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 1, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

4outof5 posted:

I'm going to get one for my dad for his birthday, and man you want to talk about a giant group of alpha autists. These fuckers are having full on internet slap fights about their little peices of metal that they use to open plastic bags and cut some tape. There are pages of talk about blade hardness. Like I get well crafted not cheap parts but holy poo poo I need someone to tell me a knife that will not go dull in 3 days or snap in half cutting open a box not comparative dissertations on the edge retention compared to corrosion resistance of certain steel formulas. also I need a stiff drink.

here's a good idea: tell us what he needs the knife for and we can give some recommendations. also your price range. if it's a knife unrelated to woodcarving, go gently caress yourself because i dont know many other things

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Where can I get an authentic balisong a real one not a cheap knockoff.

naem
May 29, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183&perpage=40

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

what you need to get your dad is a wasp knife

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_knife

http://www.waspknife.com/

it doesn't just do the stabby and the slicey, it also does the explodey

This is badass

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Oh I didn't want actual suggestions I just wanted to say how stupid knife people are on the internet I'm sorry if there was confusion.

but if you care I ordered a Benchmade Contego because it looked comfortable to use. I'm sure I picked the wrong knife because it's not made of titanium infused diamond steel or some such poo poo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The only knife you need

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-47520-5-2063-20/dp/B000638D32/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i like a 12" chef knife

10" is too small but whatever but lol if you are using less than that

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

i like a 12" chef knife

10" is too small but whatever but lol if you are using less than that

Ten inch is for mongos anyway lol at 12. Anything over eight you should be using a scimitar.

Cleavers are raw rear end Chinese knives suck butt

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ten inch is for mongos anyway lol at 12. Anything over eight you should be using a scimitar.

look at this scrub

all the line cooks in GBS are laughing at you

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
let me show you my hattori hanzo steel op

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
lol knives. get a gun sissy

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
get some hibbenthrowers and thow them at him

or get a kabar and swallow it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ZombieParts posted:

discussions bring out the worst people

Finally. Someone tells it like it is!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

i only use knives made of the finest steel scavenged from sunken russian submarines, handles made of fossilized mammoth ivory

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if you don't use steel made from meteors then just loving lol at your dumb rear end

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Sheep-Goats posted:

Cleavers are raw rear end Chinese knives suck butt

Europeans don't even know how to use knives, their culture barely understands forks. The Chinese chef knife is the perfect kitchen knife. Sorry if your baby hands can't handle that much girth; they must not be used to it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

12 inch victorinox forschner looks loving terrifying

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I have a sword made from the spine bone of my fathers father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
long knives aren't that scary just don't be a retard and handle them with care

spend like 15-30 minutes watching youtube videos of chefs telling you how to use it and you're set for home cooking (which granted you probably don't need 12" for)

• Locked thread